The "I'm leaving on a Jet Plane" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is that funny.......:102:

The spelling is different, it's spelt entropy.

Perhaps DV is making some sort of obscure joke about just how shit that Wikipedia entry is. And thus how it might as well have been spelt entropay.

Not sure about entropy, but Entropay works great, used it today when I booked flights to London (£15).

The 'proof' that evolution is impossible and that the universe must have had an intelligent designer. :icon_wink

The second law of thermodynamics only works in a closed system. Using an energy source of some kind, it is easy to reduce entropy.

This means that evolution IS possible.

I'm sure by the fact that you put the word "proof" in italics, you were referring to the fact that others (usually creationists) use this as their proof. But just thought i'd make it clear to others. :):)

The second law of thermodynamics only works in a closed system. Using an energy source of some kind, it is easy to reduce entropy.

This means that evolution IS possible.

Yeah, but it's only a 'theory', not a 'fact'.
That's why it's called the theory of evolution.
God the horologist did it all, obviously.

Yeah, but it's only a 'theory', not a 'fact'.
That's why it's called the theory of evolution.
God the horologist did it all, obviously.

Pythagorus's Theory is just a theory...

:icon_roll

What theory was that, then?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_theorem

you jest?

Macky knows the arguments anyway :) i got the horologist bit :icon_bigg

the logic of "it's only a theory" shows a deep understanding of how scientists use the word theory...a scientific theory that lasts 200 years is tantamount to fact, only a theory that revised data in the outliers would replace it (as happened when Relativity/Quantum Mechanics superceded Newtonian physics)

and a theory in mathematics can be proved to be an axiomatic truth, which was me misusing the word some more

Nah. Just being sarcastic in pointing out that a theorem is not the same thing aas a theory.

sarcasm is the use of irony for wit...the statement lacked both :)

in maths...theory is a group of theorems

hardly massively different are they? pedantic semantics

sarcasm is the use of irony for wit...the statement lacked both :)

in maths...theory is a group of theorems

hardly massively different are they? pedantic semantics

Is there any mathematical theory that is just made up of theorems? It should be possible but I don't remember any offhand.

But the point is that Pythagoras's 'theory', even if were a theory and not a theorem, is not comparable to a theory of evolution. It's that kind of definitional sloppiness that creationists play with - I don't see why they should be knocked down for it while you try the same trickery.

the logic of "it's only a theory" shows a deep understanding of how scientists use the word theory...a scientific theory that lasts 200 years is tantamount to fact

hmm dunno about that DV, aren't 'facts' and 'theories' two entirely different things?
A theory being a hypothesis that stands up to being tested by facts, or summat like that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669