The Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
so if you give you all and dont win you're not proffesional?

I don't necessarily expect them to have won, but if you're expected to gain a medal I would expect you to at least be in the mix after having lots of investment pumped into the sport. The archers and judo competitiors for instance were nowhere near competing for a medal, despite being expected to.

That, to me, is a disappointment and when you compare it to the ability of the cyclists and rowers to finish the job then yes, I would see them as a more professional 'team' from the performance director down to the athletes.

Maybe I should have used the word 'clinical', if you want to argue about the use of word. However people have called Andy Murray 'unprofessional' for his performance this week, but he clearly is professional and 'works very hard'. I don't see that we should treat the other sports that failed any differently to the stick Murray has got.

And before I'm corrected I know that the women's archery team were fourth. But that's all there was.

I don't necessarily expect them to have won, but if you're expected to gain a medal I would expect you to at least be in the mix after having lots of investment pumped into the sport. The archers and judo competitiors for instance were nowhere near competing for a medal, despite being expected to.

That, to me, is a disappointment and when you compare it to the ability of the cyclists and rowers to finish the job then yes, I would see them as a more professional 'team' from the performance director down to the athletes.

Maybe I should have used the word 'clinical', if you want to argue about the use of word. However people have called Andy Murray 'unprofessional' for his performance this week, but he clearly is professional and 'works very hard'. I don't see that we should treat the other sports that failed any differently to the stick Murray has got.

Im sure the guys that didnt get in their respective finals are gutted. More money has been pumped into the sports GB has won medals in I.E Rowing and Cycling.

Im sure the guys that didnt get in their respective finals are gutted.

I should hope so. I'd rather they were gutted than just happy to enjoy the experience.

Can't argue about the funding for rowing and cycling, it's a sad truth that only developed countries can compete in those sports (and sailing and horses) because they are so expensive.

In the sports where you just have to run, jump, swim, fight, hit a ping pong ball or play volleyball on the beach, other countries' superiority over us in sheer talent is clear to see :mad:.

Surprised Powell only 5th. He looked to have made a good start.

Powell I'm afraid has proved he is a serial bottler. Will be hard for him to perform in a global championship again.

Bolt is a monster, he can run 9.5 something. He started looking around with 8 secs gone and stopped using his arms. Unbelievable.

Michael Johnson doubts he has the endurance to break the 200 record this week but he has the A qualifying standard for the 400m.
It'll be interesting to see how good he is over the 200m.

Our cyclists are amazing.

If we had any decent runners we could have been challenging for 3rd plcae in the table overall.

Usain Bolt's imperious 100m in 9.69 smashing the WR and with the last 10m almost coasting and acknowledging his victory!!
Just f*ckin' awesome!!

Usain Bolt's imperious 100m in 9.69 smashing the WR and with the last 10m almost coasting and acknowledging his victory!!
Just f*ckin' awesome!!

What are your thoughts on Kluft leaving the Heptathlon and going for the triple jump and long jump SF?

every summer games we seem to be getting better and better.

If only China and USA werent allowed to enter
The lottery money has made a lot of difference in some sports.

I feel kind of guilty about saying this, but the main reason we are doing so well in the cycling is because our bikes are on another level to everyone elses. So much money has been spent on R&D and its really paying off, although theres no doubt that the cyclists work hard too :038:

A lot more olympic sized swimming pools are being built too so the swimming should catch up and certainly is based on what we've seen so far.

Athletics does seem to be a bit of a black hole though. I think its pretty shit that we send athletes over and they cant even get past qualifying, or into the second round of their events!

What are your thoughts on Kluft leaving the Heptathlon and going for the triple jump and long jump SF?
I didnt realise she was in the triple jump too :icon_conf

I suppose it makes some sense as shes already won a gold and was the best, there wasnt really anything else to prove in the Hepthatlon and its a very demanding event. If she can jump 7m then she'll be in the medal hunt.

Oh yeah, forgot to say, Bolt was amazing :038:

The lottery money has made a lot of difference in some sports.

I feel kind of guilty about saying this, but the main reason we are doing so well in the cycling is because our bikes are on another level to everyone elses. So much money has been spent on R&D and its really paying off, although theres no doubt that the cyclists work hard too :038:

A lot more olympic sized swimming pools are being built too so the swimming should catch up and certainly is based on what we've seen so far.

Athletics does seem to be a bit of a black hole though. I think its pretty shit that we send athletes over and they cant even get past qualifying, or into the second round of their events!

Its not just the bikes, its the training the monitoring and the whole support team in cycling that make us head and shoulders better than the rest. There was a big article in the Observer Sport Monthly a while back. They have taken every area to another level.

The girls have done well in the pool but the management screwed up a medal chance in the relay.

Our athletes need a kick up the *rse though. Simeon Williamson was especially disappointing, his PB was good enough for the final but he looks like he has put on weight.

Sotherton couldn't put a decent heptathlon together which isn't surprising seeing as it was her first of the season, which is ridiculous. Kwakye is through to the semis of the 100m with a PB she hasn't got a chance of medal though.

Why Chris Tomlinson was out there after a torn calf 3 weeks ago is beyond me as well. Leicester's own Nathan Morgan could have gone. His distance in the AAA's was further than Tomlinson managed today.

The athletics management and selection is shocking.

I don't think Klüft will finish top 3 in long jump, I can understand her decision to leave heptathlon as she was quite outstanding but she's not ready to take a medal in long jump yet.
Or maybe she is and I am just talking a lot of nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669