The Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christine Ohuruogu 400m win makes it 16 golds so far

Christine Ohuruogu 400m win makes it 16 golds so far

16 Golds - that's nothing.... that's only twice as many as one of our brilliant U.S. athletes.... You poor British :)

Last edited:
Ze Germans are bound to bag a few more Golds as well. Coming 3rd would be an outstanding achievement.

Middleweight James DeGale has secured at least a bronze in the boxing but the Irish guy who he'll face looks very strong.

Unbelievable, into a head wind! The most naturally talented sprinter of all time.

My favourite bit was watching the Yank prancing around the track with the Stars and Stripes around his shoulders celebrating his bronze medal, only to be told he was disqualified for running out of his lane

Lovely stuff

My favourite bit was watching the Yank prancing around the track with the Stars and Stripes around his shoulders celebrating his bronze medal, only to be told he was disqualified for running out of his lane

Lovely stuff

Can't disagree with that. Swagger to deflation in 0.8 secs.

Woke up from my siesta, grabbed the remote and saw the last seconds of the race. Bet I will watch it a few times more during my lifetime... Insane.
Insane, insane, insane. Insane I say.

If anyone else was running these times I'd be suspicious but because he has such a long stride length I can believe he is clean.

He will also have been tested very frequently since he first broke the 100m record in May.

I haven't checked the facts, so this could be wrong, but I've been informed that Jamaica is one of very few countries without a domestic routine drugs testing policy. Many performance-enhancing drugs have a very short half-life in the system (which is why the tests have to be frequent and without warning). Christine Ohuruga (sp.) is still taken to task for having missed out-of-competition tests, but if some countries don't even have such tests, yet are allowed to compete in the Olympics, then the playing field doesn't seem very even.

This whole topic intrigues me and I wish I had time to research it further. Perhaps some of you have more detailed or reliable information.

Hector you're right, if Bolt came from the UK there would be less doubt that he was clean but as one of the highest profile athletes in the world before the olympics and the highest profile athlete after it you can be sure there will be no shortage of tests.

I am sure Bolt is running the times he does because of his size and muscle fibre make up. He ran 200m in 20.5 seconds as a 15 year old, the youngest ever world 200m junior champion. The athletics world has been waiting for him to fulfil his potential.

If a normal sized sprinter was running these times I would suspect performance enhancing drugs but I believe Bolt is clean. He was in the UK for a month before moving out to the Jamaican holding camp and to perform at Crystal Palace he would have been under the same training and competition testing regime as British athletes.

Thats not to say its impossible that he has used drugs in the past during training, I just doubt he would need to. His power comes from his stride length. In the rounds you could see he was taking fewer strides than his competitors. Thats just about the size of his legs not anabolic steroids, he is a completely different type of sprinter than the previous text book power house.

Last edited:
apparently jimmy page and leona lewis are gonna perform 'whole lotta love' at the closing ceremony....bit of a strange combo :102:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669