The Talking Balls Book Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Highly recommend this. Fascinating insights all the way through. So much more to it than the Gordon Brown bits that hit the news.

Now reading 'The Fry Chronicles' the second part of Steven Fry's autobiography.

Quoting myself again. :icon_bigg

Enjoyed 'The Fry Chronicles'. If you are a fan it covers the start of his career, meeting Hugh Laurie etc. I can remember one point where it becomes a little naval gazing but an excellent autobiography.

Just finishing 'The God of Small Things' which was not at all the novel I expected but thoroughly enjoyable.

Starting Tony Blair 'The Journey' tomorrow.

Quoting myself again. :icon_bigg

Enjoyed 'The Fry Chronicles'. If you are a fan it covers the start of his career, meeting Hugh Laurie etc. I can remember one point where it becomes a little naval gazing but an excellent autobiography.

Just finishing 'The God of Small Things' which was not at all the novel I expected but thoroughly enjoyable.

Have you read Moab Is My Washpot? That covers his life before the Chronicles, and I found it slightly more interesting.

Have you read Moab Is My Washpot? That covers his life before the Chronicles, and I found it slightly more interesting.

I did, yes. I'm a bit of a Stephen Fry fan although I haven't read any of his novels.

My prevailing memory of the first volume was the the amount of lying, stealing etc. that went on.

Please tell me that no money has changed hands to get his book?
He's an evil, lying, conniving, murderous war criminal. He has the blood of millions of innocent civilians on his hands and deserves to be strung up from the nearest lamppost.

I'm a bit of a Stephen Fry fan although I haven't read any of his novels.

You should, he is an excellent author.
His fictional novels are also much more believable than anything that your evil, lying, conniving, murderous war criminal of an ex-prime minister could ever write.

He's an evil, lying, conniving, murderous war criminal. He has the blood of millions of innocent civilians on his hands and deserves to be strung up from the nearest lamppost.

:icon_razz It's just a shame his many achievements have been obscured by Iraq and Afghanistan.

:icon_razz It's just a shame his many achievements have been obscured by Iraq and Afghanistan.
Achievements? Yes, I suppose leading one of the worst governments of any western nation in modern history is something of an achievement. Leading the government that aided and encouraged the disintegration of British society, introduced hundreds of unjustified and flagrantly unfair taxes, embarked on the most blatant crusade against personal privacy, sneaked in a ludicrous, indiscriminate open-door immigration policy which virtually nobody else agreed with and which allowed literally millions of unskilled workers along with hundreds if not thousands of serious offenders to swarm unchecked into the country then lost count of how many they'd let in, did precisely nothing to help an obviously collapsing economy and drove hundreds of thousands of his own people into near poverty?

Yes, not a bad set of achievements that :038: well done Tone.

He is donating his royalties to a service mens' charity.

Just finished. Emails from an arsehole.

Basically an american guy replies to adds posted on line to take the piss. A few funny ones in there but not too many. Great toilet book.

Based on this website.

http://www.dontevenreply.com/

Recently read 'The Road' in my RL book club. Cannot recommend it enough, our group split clearly on gender lines on it but it seems to speak to men very strongly.

Finished 'The Journey'.

My heart dropped when I saw the amount of the book covering Iraq and Afghanistan.

The one thing I would say is that it is meticulously and passionately argued case. While my opinion has not shifted at all at least some of what seemed inexplicable decisions I now see as explicable if wrong.

Reading Sebastian Faulks' 'Birdsong' now.

Last edited:
Just finished the girl who played with fire (millenium 2).

Took long while to get iinto it, but worth it in the end.

About to start the girl who kicked the hornet's nest, about 200 pages longer than the last book!:icon_eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669