The Talking Balls Book Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Major

The Fifth Witness-Michael Connelly

Although I reckon MC is about the best crime writer around atm I wasn't that impressed with his last Harry Bosch novel but he's back on form with this Mickey Haller story.
I was up until this 1 this morning reading this, I just couldn't put it down. Great read.

From Gradel to Grave

Finished 'The Pregnant Widow'. This is the second Martin Amis book I've read and couldn't be more different to 'Money'. Have to say I enjoyed it just as much.

Starting on Annie Proulx 'Shipping News' now.

Han

Having enjoyed the Game of Thrones TV series I've downloaded the Song of Ice and Fire audio books. Can't wait to get into them.

Hazzman

you rread any of his other stuff? pts much better imho
No. I picked this up mainly cos of the film which is about to be released on DVD. Bout 100 left of NW and I've really enjoyed it. Bought 'Things I talk...' which I know is autobiographical but the bits I read are brilliant. Any recommendation how which book next? Kafta?

fosseboy83

No. I picked this up mainly cos of the film which is about to be released on DVD. Bout 100 left of NW and I've really enjoyed it. Bought 'Things I talk...' which I know is autobiographical but the bits I read are brilliant. Any recommendation how which book next? Kafta?

Kafka is brilliant, the wind-up bird chronical is amazing

From Gradel to Grave

Finished the Annie Proulx book while on holiday. Bearing in mind she is famous for writing 'Brokeback Mountain' I half expected a comment. :icon_bigg

It was odd reading such an ice bound novel when in the high 30s in Cyprus.

Then read Howard Jacobson's 'The Finkler Question'. Having heard the controversy that surrounded a comic novel winning the Booker I expected more laughs. It was, in fact, an extremely dark novel.

glyn

Read "The Slap" after seeing so many rave reviews about it.

Just dull, full of unlikeable characters, went nowhere.

From Gradel to Grave

Read "The Slap" after seeing so many rave reviews about it.

Just dull, full of unlikeable characters, went nowhere.

Positive Reviews said:
'Nothing short of a tour de force. Tsiolkas outs a microscope to family life and presents us with a vision both of unflinching honesty and great tenderness. Here is a novel of immense power and scope, reminiscent of Jonathan Franzen's The Corrections and Don De Lillo's Underworld.' --Colm Toibin

`Once in a while a novel comes along that reminds me why I love to read: The Slap is such a book... Honestly, one of the three or four truly great novels of the new millennium.'
--John Boyne.

Sounds good :icon_lol:

SwedeFox

Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevsky.

Great book - by far the best I've read in terms of quality (I'm not that well-read admittedly). I had a fairly new translation (read it in Swedish) so it wasn't very difficult to read either. Raises many ethical questions as well if that's your kind of thing.

The Perfume - Patrick Süskind.

It was always going to feel under-dimensioned after Crime and Punishment, but that is actually the strength of this book; it's easy to follow but still doesn't get boring. Pleasant book, and you find yourself smelling everything (well, at least things with a nice scent) after you've read it.

From Gradel to Grave

Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevsky.

Great book - by far the best I've read in terms of quality (I'm not that well-read admittedly). I had a fairly new translation (read it in Swedish) so it wasn't very difficult to read either. Raises many ethical questions as well if that's your kind of thing.

Read this about fifteen years ago. Really enjoyed it at the time.

I'm getting more out of books I read now and it's one of many I wish I was reading for the first time. There are so many books I have yet to read that I have never re-read a book.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670