The Talking Balls Book Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished 'Wind-up Bird Chronicles' a couple of weeks ago.
Immediate fan of Muramaki now. Enjoyed it immensely for it's non-reality moments.

Onto 'On The Road' by Jack Kerouac now.
I've been slightly put off reading it because of that. Raining frogs etc, that's too confusing for me.

The last book I read, which I enjoyed a lot, was The Bad Girl by Mario Vargas Llosa. Set in many different places (as a Francophile I especially loved Paris) each with its own particular feeling, I love that.

Just finished "Space Race" which is a book of the BBC series from a couple of years ago about how the race for German rocket scientists at the end of WWII led to the Space Race and man on the moon. If you have any interest in any of that, this is a superb book and well worth a read. It expands on the themes that were shown on the BBC programme.

I've been slightly put off reading it because of that. Raining frogs etc, that's too confusing for me.

Don't. It's difficult to explain but I found the experience of exploring this alterative world amazing. Don't try to make a story, embrace it and imagine it. It's a book which has reignited for reading as I began to make specific time up let my mind wander/daydream.

What I like about reading is that I can build up these pictures of it playing all in my head as I read. Murakami makes these pictures so vivid and distinctive, that the non-reality stuff is very enjoyable.

Sorry to go all pretentious on you all.

It is, Called 'Dead man's grip'

got the HB version in Tescopoly for £9.50

Got it in a 2 for £7 from Sainsbury. (paperback)
Half way through, a good read, Tooth is not a nice person.

The other one I got was by Karen Rose, called "you belong to me", another good read.
A story of revenge. The person extraction the revenge would make a gruesome duo with Tooth.

Don't. It's difficult to explain but I found the experience of exploring this alterative world amazing. Don't try to make a story, embrace it and imagine it. It's a book which has reignited for reading as I began to make specific time up let my mind wander/daydream.

What I like about reading is that I can build up these pictures of it playing all in my head as I read. Murakami makes these pictures so vivid and distinctive, that the non-reality stuff is very enjoyable.

Sorry to go all pretentious on you all.

Just get yourself some mushrooms Hazz, then you can actually go there

Just finished The Appeal by John Grisham and without wishing to give away any spoilers I was left feeling deflated at the ending which was not what I expected.

If anybody has read this they will know what I mean when I say I hope Grisham does a follow-up whereby Krane and its owners come unstuck and get their just rewards.

Finished 'One Day'. I was a little worried, given its sales and the commendation from Tony Parsons on the cover, that it would be lad-lit but there was a lot more to it and I did enjoy it.

Reading John Boyne's 'The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas' now.

Has anyone on here read Star of the Sea? I've just started reading it. One of my mates thought this one of the greatest books he had ever read.

Has anyone on here read Star of the Sea? I've just started reading it. One of my mates thought this one of the greatest books he had ever read.

yes, couple of years since i read it from what i remember not a bad read (not a ringing endorsement but honest:icon_bigg)

Have you seen the film?

Innocence of childhood against the brutality of war. Moving!

I haven't seen the film but I was slightly disappointed with the book.

I hadn't realised it was a children's book and that is inescapable while reading it.

Perhaps I might enjoy the film.

Reading 'Norweigan Wood' now. :icon_bigg

Last edited:
Finished 'Norweigan Wood'. Having read the above comments I was expecting more hallucinogenic content and was surprised to find little. I thoroughly enjoyed it though and would definitely consider reading another Murikami book.

I've just started Jonathan Coe's 'The Terrible Privacy of Maxwell Sim'.

I read it not long after it came out, I think the author is Sinead O'Connor's brother. Not a bad story, the style of the writing grated on me a bit iIrc.

Really enjoyed 'The Terrible Privacy of Maxwell Sim'. Combines an entertaining story with twists and laughs with philosophical observations and it was the first book I have read where the author sits down on a bench and talks to the main character in the last chapter.

About to read 'I Partridge'.

Lee Evans autobiography will be started tomorrow.

Finished 'Norweigan Wood'. Having read the above comments I was expecting more hallucinogenic content and was surprised to find little. I thoroughly enjoyed it though and would definitely consider reading another Murikami book.

'.

Norwegian Wood is 'straight' for Murakami, said to be partly autobiographical. What other fiction I have read from him is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566