Title Challenge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst having another discussion this evening about who is our best player, it suddenly occurred to me how strong our squad is.

In past years there has most often been one stand out performer (rarely 2) who almost everyone agrees is the best (or least bad), we would perhaps mention one or two others to make the discussion interesting, but the conclusion was rarely in doubt. Cambiasso, Fryatt, Lennon, Izzet etc

This year the discussion is genuinely interesting. Vardy, Mahrez and Kante are the 3 most common choices, though few people are willing to commit to any one of them. There are very strong cases being made for others though.

Drinkwater has shown an intelligence and skill to rival Cambiasso at his best
Huth's arrival is seen to coincide with our change in fortunes
Morgan has been immense, and has led the team well
Fuchs' inclusion has added a quality and composure to our defensive line

To be honest I would find it hard to argue against any of them, and any one of our regular 11 would be the standout player in most of our teams over the last 20 years (my time following the club).

We are not a one trick pony, we are not an average team with a couple of good players. 5 or 6 players are candidates for Premier League team of the season IMO. We have an amazing team!

Whilst having another discussion this evening about who is our best player, it suddenly occurred to me how strong our squad is.

In past years there has most often been one stand out performer (rarely 2) who almost everyone agrees is the best (or least bad), we would perhaps mention one or two others to make the discussion interesting, but the conclusion was rarely in doubt. Cambiasso, Fryatt, Lennon, Izzet etc

This year the discussion is genuinely interesting. Vardy, Mahrez and Kante are the 3 most common choices, though few people are willing to commit to any one of them. There are very strong cases being made for others though.

Drinkwater has shown an intelligence and skill to rival Cambiasso at his best
Huth's arrival is seen to coincide with our change in fortunes
Morgan has been immense, and has led the team well
Fuchs' inclusion has added a quality and composure to our defensive line

To be honest I would find it hard to argue against any of them, and any one of our regular 11 would be the standout player in most of our teams over the last 20 years (my time following the club).

We are not a one trick pony, we are not an average team with a couple of good players. 5 or 6 players are candidates for Premier League team of the season IMO. We have an amazing team!

Patrick Barclay in the standard tonight saying his vote for player of the year is between Danny Drinkwater and Deli Ali

Danny Simpson has been superb recently. Despite his critics Kasper is an excellent keeper. Mark Albrighton is an absolute work horse. Okazaki likewise. We really have no shirkers or average performers in this team.

Danny Simpson has been superb recently. Despite his critics Kasper is an excellent keeper. Mark Albrighton is an absolute work horse. Okazaki likewise. We really have no shirkers or average performers in this team.

This!

For the first time in my entire life, we have a genuinely good player in every single position.

Even in the record-breaking Championship winning side we still had Konchesky as an obvious weak link.

What a team this is!

I know it may sound ridiculous but I can't even contemplate us winning the title. I expect we will continue to surprise but I think we will eventually get overtaken by the superpowers.

I think the problem with winning it lies in how much we can improve. The teams below us can get better, whereas I think we are playing as good as it gets so we could be overtaken by an improved Man City, Arsenal or Spurs. We have to maintain a high level of consistency and continue to win games, not draw. As soon as we start to drop points the others will get past us as they continue to improve.

The prospect of winning the title doesn't feel like a dream anymore, it is a realistic possibility.

As a result I am forced to get even more imaginative with my dreams. I see Mourinho handing the trophy to Ranieri after the Chelsea game, we then go on an open topped bus victory tour of the whole country to thank the neutrals for their support, Stuart Pearce bows before the bus as it passes through Nottingham city Center, finally finishing at Buckingham Palace where Vardy is knighted.

I am allowed to dream, Ranieri says so, besides stranger things have, and indeed are, happening.

I think the problem with winning it lies in how much we can improve. The teams below us can get better, whereas I think we are playing as good as it gets so we could be overtaken by an improved Man City, Arsenal or Spurs. We have to maintain a high level of consistency and continue to win games, not draw. As soon as we start to drop points the others will get past us as they continue to improve.

The Points Tracker suggests that we are doing much better in the second half of the season than in the first, 5 points better from first 5 games, so we are improving. The other teams are whinging that once their best players come back, blah blah blah etc. Our best players are already here AND playing better.

I told my boss who is an Everton fan not to put £20 on us winning the league back in September/October.

I'm fearing for my job now.

In the absence of the BBC predictor thing, I have asked our own Mr Predictor to calculate things himself, based on the remaining fixtures. The end of season table, therefore, will look like this:

1. Leicester City 79 points
2. Arsenal 79 points
3. Man City 78 points
4. Spurtz 78 points

5th place teams are miles off

Gonna be tight, but it's gonna be right

NB: the above includes us losing our next two games

In the absence of the BBC predictor thing, I have asked our own Mr Predictor to calculate things himself, based on the remaining fixtures. The end of season table, therefore, will look like this:

1. Leicester City 79 points
2. Arsenal 79 points
3. Man City 78 points
4. Spurtz 78 points

5th place teams are miles off

Gonna be tight, but it's gonna be right

So if we win the next two games the table will look like this:

1. Leicester City 85 points
2. Spurtz 78 points
3. Arsenal 76 points
4. Man City 75 points

Status