Post Match Watford 3 Leicester 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be guessing - but its predictable that there will be some who signed up to join Sven's luxury cruise- who are not overjoyed with the idea of doing a shift in the engine room.

Similarly we've had two years of potential 'them and 'us' situations. Last year some flashy loanees some of whom used us for match experience for going back to bigger and better things & this year this influx of players who were heralded as big names, but in some cases have looked distinctly underwhelming.

Let me get this right, due to Sven's stupid management, we have some overpaid players who don't want to work, and the reasonably remunerated (do ANY footballers fall into this category?) are playing poorly because they have, in the vernacular, 'got the hump'. To quote from a different DA character to my avatar, "We're all doomed...doomed...DOOMED!"

How are you going to make that happen?

I have no idea, it's not my job, but to say "You're too shit for this league, go and ref them" is insulting and does nothing for the respect campaign. It also highlights why we seem to have so many bad decisions in this league, which again does nothing for the respect campaign or the referees.

I have no idea, it's not my job, but to say "You're too shit for this league, go and ref them" is insulting and does nothing for the respect campaign. It also highlights why we seem to have so many bad decisions in this league, which again does nothing for the respect campaign or the referees.

How else would you do it?

Pick refs at random so they could be at Old Trafford one week and Oadby Town the next?

The best refs should be at the top of the game, just like the best players should. It's the way to motivate people to be as good as they can be. If they turn out not to be good enough, they should drop down a level. It doesn't mean he's rubbish, just not at the very top level.

Last edited:

I see where you're coming from, but surely Premier League = far, far bigger stakes than the Championship and so there must be a higher % of 'right' decisions?

I see where you're coming from, but surely Premier League = far, far bigger stakes than the Championship and so there must be a higher % of 'right' decisions?

If you look at the money a team get's for getting to the the Premier League I would say the stakes are higher down here.

Let me get this right, due to Sven's stupid management, we have some overpaid players who don't want to work, and the reasonably remunerated (do ANY footballers fall into this category?) are playing poorly because they have, in the vernacular, 'got the hump'. To quote from a different DA character to my avatar, "We're all doomed...doomed...DOOMED!"

No need to get too depressed TOF. I'm merely speculating that there will be tensions and potentially factions. In time and if given the opportunity Uncle Nigel will sort it all out and get us playing together as once he did - as a team which over achieved rather than drastically underachieving. You can look forward to the day when they will be running coaches again to home games from the East coast...possibly.

How else would you do it?

Pick refs at random so they could be at Old Trafford one week and Oadby Town the next?

The best refs should be at the top of the game, just like the best players should. It's the way to motivate people to be as good as they can be. If they turn out not to be good enough, they should drop down a level. It doesn't mean he's rubbish, just not at the very top level.

A wrong decision is a wrong decision at every level though and the rules are the same at every level. I don't see how if a referee misses a blatant penalty in the Premier League, he's not going to miss a blatant penalty in the Championship, or League One, or League Two. Refereeing doesn't get easier or harder as you move up or down the leagues, perhaps the only thing that changes is the scrutiny their decisions receive and the pressure that they're under.

The current system is definitely flawed. I think refs who make serious errors - red cards that get rescinded for example - should get match suspensions, not foisted onto another league. In my opinion there should be a points system and a promotion and relegation system for refs at the end of every season, they shouldn't be allowed to just hop between leagues during the season. At the minute, it just feels unjust to whichever league the ref is demoted to, why should they have to put up with a ref who can't do his job in the league above?

No need to get too depressed TOF. I'm merely speculating that there will be tensions and potentially factions. In time and if given the opportunity Uncle Nigel will sort it all out and get us playing together as once he did - as a team which over achieved rather than drastically underachieving. You can look forward to the day when they will be running coaches again to home games from the East coast...possibly.

:icon_bigg I'd be happy if I could believe in these Halcyon days of which you speak (either future.... or past!)

Jeff has already said all of this, but:

A wrong decision is a wrong decision at every level though and the rules are the same at every level. I don't see how if a referee misses a blatant penalty in the Premier League, he's not going to miss a blatant penalty in the Championship, or League One, or League Two.
He is probably going to make the same mistake, and that's why he is in lower league football. I can't see what's unfair about giving Premier League games to good referees, and lower league games to poor referees. There are a limited number of referees in the country.

Refereeing doesn't get easier or harder as you move up or down the leagues, perhaps the only thing that changes is the scrutiny their decisions receive and the pressure that they're under.
Hence why the best refs get the biggest games.

The current system is definitely flawed. I think refs who make serious errors - red cards that get rescinded for example - should get match suspensions, not foisted onto another league. In my opinion there should be a points system and a promotion and relegation system for refs at the end of every season, they shouldn't be allowed to just hop between leagues during the season. At the minute, it just feels unjust to whichever league the ref is demoted to, why should they have to put up with a ref who can't do his job in the league above?
Because, as Jeff said, how else would you do it?

All referees make mistakes: those who make the least mistakes are at the top level of the game. I can't see how you would change that.

I used to play football at the absolute bottom rung of the football ladder, and the referees were always useless. But as my Dad (rather frankly) pointed out - the players are shit, why do you expect the referee to be any better? If you go to a League One match, you should expect League One quality of the players and League One quality of the referee.

Humans will always make mistakes - just like all of us occasionally make mistakes in our everyday jobs so I don't see why referees should be viewed any differently. Even the best footballers make mistakes at times!!

Cue responses from people saying they have never made mistakes.....

A wrong decision is a wrong decision at every level though and the rules are the same at every level. I don't see how if a referee misses a blatant penalty in the Premier League, he's not going to miss a blatant penalty in the Championship, or League One, or League Two. Refereeing doesn't get easier or harder as you move up or down the leagues, perhaps the only thing that changes is the scrutiny their decisions receive and the pressure that they're under.

Have you applied to become a ref?

I feel the game would benefit from your expertise and ability to operate with a 0% error performance every week of a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566