Post Match West Ham 3 - 2 Leicester City

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying the owners would ever do it, I'm just saying in the ideal world that's what I'd like to see. I don't think our fans would be too against it if we built every year. I think it was only the minority wanting SGE out at this stage.

I'm not saying the owners would ever do it, I'm just saying in the ideal world that's what I'd like to see. I don't think our fans would be too against it if we built every year. I think it was only the minority wanting SGE out at this stage.
And I agree of course. I don't know if you agree with me on this, but I think the short-term influence that managers can have on a team is vastly overrated and is more down to other things. Did people really think that we were going to show like up like a new team today just because Sven wasn't in the dressing room before the match? Players aren't marionettes.

Depends Swede, I think short term influence can and often does effect the team, but it wears off very quickly. I wouldn't expect us to do anything til the next transfer window as to me it seems like the players were have here are just an average Championship squad.

I sincerely hope the manager doesn't get sacked if we don't make the play-offs or whatever this season, because it's silly expecting them to achieve that with one transfer window and no pre-season.

Last edited:
OK we've just lost but I actually feel quite upbeat - anyone care to hazard a guess why?

You saw MON at the ground?

You currently have your head buried in a nice set of knockers? (it's weird that you're typing on here at the same time)

Someone just text/emailed in to RL to say that they want Martin Allen back... surely a joke? Unless they meant as a gardener.

Some twat on the post match phone in wants Martin Allen back as manager.

Depends Swede, I think short term influence can and often does effect the team, but it wears off very quickly. I wouldn't expect us to do anything til the next transfer window as to me it seems like the players were have here are just an average Championship squad.

I sincerely hope the manager doesn't get sacked if we don't make the play-offs or whatever this season, because it's silly expecting them to achieve that with one transfer window and no pre-season.
I can understand that a new face and a new voice is inspiring, but IMO, a huge part of the manager's work is done during the week at the training ground and therefore not available for us to judge. That's why I'm always careful about saying this or that about managers.

Ultimately, it's down to results of course.

I'd agree completely. I don't think getting rid of Sven was necessarily a wrong decision, but you get the impression the Thai guys are a bit gung-ho and don't really know what to look for to get us out of this division. It's alright having ambition etc but you need the ability to match it and help deliver on it. We have a squad with ability, managers have gotten better out of much less talented squads than ours. Top understands business and he understands that money isn't everything but like I say, you get the impression they don't understand what is required in football. My personal view is that we shouldn't be taking a gamble on a manager like Lee Clark because I think it would turn out badly in the same way it did when we appointed Ian Holloway, this is a different type of job to managing a smaller club with lesser expectations. We need a manager with experience of getting a team promoted from this division and because of the size of our squad, a manager who isn't afraid to put big names on the sidelines if they are underperforming. The more I think about the more I think that Billy Davies might actually be a better appointment than Martin O'Neill but I'd still hope we get either of them and be delighted if we do so.

I say two things to this. Firstly the last few days should have been a reality check to Top and Co and if they have not grasped that then we are in deep trouble. Secondly we need a Manager that is as big as the Club if not bigger, that is to say we do not need someone who might grow into the job, we need someone who understands the level of expectation at the Club and not just from the board. :icon_conf

I can understand that a new face and a new voice is inspiring, but IMO, a huge part of the manager's work is done during the week at the training ground and therefore not available for us to judge. That's why I'm always careful about saying this or that about managers.

Ultimately, it's down to results of course.

Ture.

Last edited:
That's why you have Steve Howard on the bench, comes on, changes the game & we've scored twice. Fantastic stuff from the big man!

.. just back from the game...

the final 30 mins shows that you must be direct and positive to win in this league.

for too much in this season Wellens has not been positive enough at playing forward, he does have a huge affect on how the side plays, he is often too slow and square with his passing, and movement off the ball has never been his strong point. Id play Johnson !

Beckford should be ashamed at his total lack of effort , particularly the pathetic way he doesn't challenge for high balls. He is very skill-full but hasn't got the right attitude for what we need. He scowelled at the the Leicester end when he was cheered off.... buck up mate or clear off pls..

Peltier was class today and Andy King showed again what an affective player he is as a forward mid field player.
Howord and Mills in on Tuesday at Burnley and we'll win..

ps .. SSL .. you have to be able to head the ball, read the game and distribute accurately.... you can do none of these... please understand when you are dropped on Tuesday..

10 game unbeaten run from now !!!

:icon_razz:icon_lol:

He had the look of someone wondering what they had done so wrong. I don't think he deserved to be cheered off but he was pretty poor. Seems to hunk he's too good for the division. He will realise one day that he has to work just as hard as he did in the prem if he wants to be loved by the fans.

Their first two goals were down to some silly errors, in part because of the tactics. The switch to 4-4-2 w entially did the trick but it was shaky for a while and we could have been on the end of a hammering if they got a third before we scored.

As has already been said, Howard coming on changed the game for us, although he didn't win any of the first half dozen long balls/clearances.

Hopefully now that the management have seen Us play successfully with King in a 2-man midfield we will try it more often. Johnson looked decent comin on too. I felt sorry for Abe being forced wide as he tends to struggle positionally. SSL had another mare.

We had three very good chances to equalise and I think we would've deserved it on the whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566