Post Match West Ham 3 - 2 Leicester City

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with most of that - I was at the game too. I was the only one jumping up and clapping in my stand when Andy King scored his screamer - due to lack of away tickets I went with my Hammer supporting brother-in-law!

Beckford's attitude was poor throughout - not helped by relatively poor service - when a ball was played across the box in a good position he was only inches away from getting a goal. However his lack of work rate and refusal to challenge for any ball does not help endear him to a new set of supporters, especially being a "marquee" signing. His look of disgust to the City fans when he was substituted showed his arrogance - he needs a good man-manager to have a strong word with him about team ethics and respect for those who pay hard earned money to watch someone at least seeming to want to play for their team.

West Ham bossed the midfield in the first half, the 4-3-3 was not working too well. Noble had too much time on the ball to pick out passes and Baldock showed the willingness to run into positions where Beckford didn't.

However, some tactical changes paid off and Dyer made an instant impression with his direct running. The team seemed galvanised and the King headed goal really put the pressure onto West Ham. Our midfield was much better and this half it was Wellens really pulling the strings (our best creative passer by far). However, defensive mistakes cost us this game - I felt that Bamba was at fault with both the first goal, needlessly going up for a free kick then caught out when West Ham broke away, just when the game needed to be kept tight at nil-nil. At times his interventions were crucial but at other times he is too laid back in running to cover the plater when the other team were attacking.

Other negatives - Konchesky often caught out for pace when defending, St Ledger not really showing the form I've seen him when playing for Preston or Ireland, Abe tackling poor and passing often not constructive enough.

However, it was good to see real passion on the touchline from our coaches - both encouraging and pushing the team on, especially after our first goal. I have not seen this sort of "fight" from management and team for some time, we really impressed second half and should have equalised with the possession we had. Vassell created some decent chances, he still has good pace. It was good to see King scoring again and hope he can continue to play in the position where he is effective (Att Mid). Nugent was OK but felt he lacked sharpness in front of goal, scuffing a couple of good chances. Peltier (and Konchesky) gave good attacking options.
At least I didn't have to sing the "Bubbles" song!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Split up your paragraphs.

Please.

Rob Green could be well on his way to mental breakdown.

Be very interested to see the peno shout. If it wasn't a pen, it was dive yet he played on and oddly booked a West Ham player.

Rob Green could be well on his way to mental breakdown.

Heard something on the radio at the end but had to go out so missed what it was. Anyone care to explain what Green did?

And wasn't he a bit of a **** at the Walkers (as it was) a few seasons back?

I hear the caretaker view was one of pride that we gave it a "right good go". Sums up the loser mentality of this club. Act like the underdog and you'll always be the underdog irrespective of whether or not you have spent more than any other team in the division.

Hey but so long as we gave it a right good go I suppose it's fine.

We need a manager who doesn't have a loser mentality.

I hear the caretaker view was one of pride that we gave it a "right good go". Sums up the loser mentality of this club. Act like the underdog and you'll always be the underdog irrespective of whether or not you have spent more than any other team in the division.

Hey but so long as we gave it a right good go I suppose it's fine.

We need a manager who doesn't have a loser mentality.

We had one, then we stood by and let him go to Hull so we we could bring in some big name ex-Portuguese international.

I criticised Howard a lot in the Pearson era, but today he absolutely changed the game when he came on. He was instrumental in creating both goals, and hit the bar himself.

When Beckford was playing, I thought maybe the reason he hardly got the ball was because of poor service.

Yet once Howard came on, the amount of times he got the ball was unbelievable. He virtually won every header. Without him, I don't believe we would have scored any goals.

He must play against Burnley.

Yet once Howard came on, the amount of times he got the ball was unbelievable. He virtually won every header.

No he didn't. He probably won 60% of the high balls. The difference was that we picked up the pieces around him as the players expected him to win it and we're alert. Long balls up to Beckford/Nugent are treated very differently as we don't expect to win many at all.

Different strikers need different service and we don't seem capable of utilising beckford's pace. He came deep to get a touch of the ball a couple of times and showed some good touches. But the one time he had the ball on the edge of their box he looked like a rabbit in headlights.

I don't believe he had a good game but people seem happy to believe that he is rubbish just because he backed out of a few headers.

I agree that Howard should start in the week.

Heard something on the radio at the end but had to go out so missed what it was. Anyone care to explain what Green did?

And wasn't he a bit of a **** at the Walkers (as it was) a few seasons back?

City fans give him some stick about his England duty (not really that harsh), it's something he must get every game. Upon the final whistle, he decides to run in front of the City support giving it large. He then went to shake Peltier's hand who refused on grounds of his actions. Green had a little strop at him wondering why. All in all the actions of a twat, could have quite easily tempted a couple of idiots onto the pitch.

If it was in his shoes, I'd have just turned around to indicate the score with my fingers or made a hush signal. Instead he just told the City fans to make sure when he comes the Walkers...the Kop give him a load of shit.

We really should have got a point yesterday. The BBC report is a load of crap (Baldock hit the bar....yeah but it would not have counted). The second half was about as attacking away from home, Ive seen us in ages. West Ham for a good spell in the first half blew us away, Noble was exactly the player we need. Despite that we had three very good chances in the first half.

Just to say Wellens annoys me. He played like a total fanny in the first half, then came out for thirty minutes played really well before pissing our last chance away due to giving away the most stupid foul ever.

One other point I'd make is that we are very, very naive. West Ham would often take the hit of a yellow card and foul to stop us going forward. We were the opposite...let them run thirty yards before worrying.?

City fans give him some stick about his England duty (not really that harsh), it's something he must get every game. Upon the final whistle, he decides to run in front of the City support giving it large. He then went to shake Peltier's hand who refused on grounds of his actions. Green had a little strop at him wondering why. All in all the actions of a twat, could have quite easily tempted a couple of idiots onto the pitch.

If it was in his shoes, I'd have just turned around to indicate the score with my fingers or made a hush signal. Instead he just told the City fans to make sure when he comes the Walkers...the Kop give him a load of shit.

We really should have got a point yesterday. The BBC report is a load of crap (Baldock hit the bar....yeah but it would not have counted). The second half was about as attacking away from home, Ive seen us in ages. West Ham for a good spell in the first half blew us away, Noble was exactly the player we need. Despite that we had three very good chances in the first half.

Just to say Wellens annoys me. He played like a total fanny in the first half, then came out for thirty minutes played really well before pissing our last chance away due to giving away the most stupid foul ever.

One other point I'd make is that we are very, very naive. West Ham would often take the hit of a yellow card and foul to stop us going forward. We were the opposite...let them run thirty yards before worrying.?

have to say i totally agree ... i'd drop him to the bench and play johnson, a very clever player in my opinion and clearly better than this league if he stays fit.

still ... Howard and Mills in and we win at Burnley.. simple !

& yes Green will get pelters at KP.. he was always going to give us a bit back at the final whistle,.. but he totally over-reacted.. like mental !

:038:

Wellens can **** off all together for me, wasted everything in the 1st, his passing was diabolical.

The set up needs a reality check from a new manager. Sven did what he does very well - that is waste other peoples' money. We haven't got a strong squad in depth or the quality that Sven pretended but we have got sufficient playing strength to do a lot better in a division where most of the clubs are more or less skint. I guess one of the issues is that the owners don't know much about football so they are probably as confused as everybody else about what to do. Its very difficult to see a MON or Keegan wanting to get involved with us in this state so the owners might try saying sorry to Nigel Pearson and see if they can buy back his services to try to sort things out - including trying to salvage the Beckford situation which otherwise looks like heading for a big financial loss if we have to ship him out for next to nothing along with SSL etc.

We had one, then we stood by and let him go to Hull so we we could bring in some big name ex-Portuguese international.

The longer this saga goes on and the more I think about it, the club really, really ****ed up by forcing Pearson out.

We may not have been dominating the Premiership, but we were building very solid foundations and NP had made some very astute signings. He was exactly what the club needed and deserved to be backed.

Wankers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570