What the Filbert does Claudio do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mahrez has 3 men on him, that means 2 less men on the others, and we still cant control the midfield and provide chances for the forwards. Mahrez stands about with his 3 oponents instead of pulling them out of position by a bit of off the ball movement. He however seems to lack the support of others in the team. Team spirit and the togetherness of last season seems to have totally dissapeared. Team dynamics won us the league last year and could relegate us this year. This is a major issue for CR, I hope he is up to it.

Wishful thinking and pure guesswork there. The stats show that we're the worst all round team in the league so far and have actually overachieved in terms of points return from performances given.

On current form, only Swansea compare with us. I remain hopeful that we'll finish above them and Hull. I'm really struggling to see a third side we're likely to be worse than unless we massively improve.

Pure guesswork and pessimism there.

Anybody not agreeing with that should think back to what they felt when Woy insisted on sticking Vardy out wide.

This season it's looked like Vardy is sticking himself out wide. Perhaps he's frightened he'll have a chance to shoot at goal if he's in the box.

Vardy is still trying and is still creating, until our midfield is sorted we are up shit creek without a paddle, CR is desperately trying find a solution hence the constant swapping of players to plug the gaping whole in the middle. Possibly a change of formation may help in the short term the fact is King is top of the championship standard at best.

Fuchs is getting exposed because Albrighton has been moved from his side of the pitch, Gray flatters to deceive CR has spent big money and is trying to shoe horn players into the match day squad often out of position.

Troy Deeney pretty much sums up all the different things that have gone wrong this year and we still haven't sorted it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38203519

I read that earlier this morning. Quite interesting what Deeney says about the Kante fear factor; that is, even knowing that Kante was around induced a sense of urgency. I'd not considered that and wondered how widespread it might be amongst players. Personally, I'm unconvinced - without disrespecting Kante.

The thing is, surely things like 'not sitting as deep' this year should be noticed in house? Sitting deeper and inviting the pressure on us gives Vardy more of the space he needs.

The very worst thing we could do is just carry on playing the same group of players in the same set up, in the hope that they will 'find their form'

Ooh, you can't drop Mahrez, he's the best player we've ever seen
Ooh, you can't drop Vardy, he justneeds one to go in and he'll score ten
Ooh you can't drop Fuchs, he the the best left back we've had in years

It's bollocks
They are playing like steaming stumps

Drop them, and drop them now
I must admit that I suspect you are right.
CR has probably put up with non- appearances for too long. He's risking his own position and the club's status by putting up with consistent failure. You usually set out to be a bit OTT but it's now time for decisive action.

I don't think big_mac4824 actually watches games. The wingers occasionally swap during the game, but I don't think it's happening any more than it did last season.

It's happened sparingly this season

Albrighton has operated almost exclusively down the left hand side

How anyone can believe otherwise is a complete mystery

To me, all the problems stem from midfield and essentially boil back to the loss of Kante and the fact that we haven't been able to replace him effectively.

Blaming the loss of Kante at this stage may seem wrong, but I don't think so.
I said when he left that he's that good that Chelsea have just won the 2016/17 title. And it's looking that way.

I said all last season and still stick to it that even when people were praising Kante, they underestimated what he brings to the team. People compare him to Makelele, but to me I always saw him closer to a Vieira. Kante broke up the play at the back and won it back for us - which is what we're massively, massively missing now, but also (the bit that I think people overlook) is that he was then very good at getting us moving forwards after he won it back - whether that was laying it off quickly to the likes of Mahrez when we were deep so that we could then fly forwards, or running it forward himself before giving it to Drinkwater or Albrighton to play the more precise forward passes.

This is what we're missing. And I'm not necessarily sure anyone is to blame for that...

• Andy King and Amartey simply don't possess those skills (although Amartey is still young and I think people are overly harsh on him) and weren't made to play as much of a role as they have
  • Drinkwater, despite being one of our best players this season, also doesn't have the skills to do all of that by himself. He's a very good passer and also a good tackler, but can't do it by himself and doesn't have the same pace/dribbling ability as Kante to do that transition play.
  • The club tried to find a replacement for an irreplacable player - Mendy's come in and got injured on his debut which is just bad luck
  • They tried to sign other midfielders after Mendy (N'Zonzi, Adrien Silva and I think others) but didn't manage to secure deals for them - this is where there maybe is some blame

And I think that's where all of our problems stem from....

• The defence, who overachieved more than anyone else last season when you consider their ages and careers so far, now don't have solid cover in front of them (and are missing Kasper behind them; not a criticism of Zieler or an excuse for the defence, but Kasper is just a much better keeper who's made saves this season and last that rescue points).
  • The midfield aren't doing their job as well, which means we can't get the ball to our dangerous attacking players as quickly or effectively
  • Mahrez is double/triple marked and we've not got anyone else to drag defenders away from him
  • There is too much of a gap between midfield and attack
  • Vardy's just getting long balls most of the time from what I've seen which is NOT what made us successful last season

I could go on...

But to me it's a major problem because how do you replace Kante? He's one of a kind. We don't need someone as good as him to achieve our goals, but we need someone to fill that gap which at the minute we don't have and there's big pressure on Mendy when he comes back.

But it also shows the weaknesses elsewhere - Huth even at times last season was getting caught out.

To me, it's a personnel change which can only be fixed by recruitments in central midfield and defence, but that can't happen until January.

Until then, we need to be playing 3 central midfielders and adapt to what we've got.

I said when he left that he's that good that Chelsea have just won the 2016/17 title. And it's looking that way.
I found myself thinking "yes, he's right" and stuck £25 on Chelsea (at 6/1) when you posted that

The clear problem I am seeing for sure is we seem to be deliberatly trying to play in a manner to conserve energy.

Last season, especially in the first part of the season we would have the likes of vardy and mahrez running at the other team which forced them to either step back or commit a foul. When we didnt run with the ball we tried to play direct low passes to get the ball forward as quickly as possible.

This season we seem to be trying to score via tip tap football, far too much faffing about instead of getting the ball in the box, e.g. late in the game yesterday it was happening, then fuchs blasted it forward seemingly into no mans land, vardy (now a rarity with him) made a run, and even tho he looked second best to get the ball he won a corner.

The defensive pressures are inevitable, last season when we had all those clean sheets near the end, teams feared us, and kept players back, in turn this made it easier to defend, this season since our counter attack is non existant, they now got no issue pressuring us again at the back. Kante obviously has hurt us badly as not only did he intercept so well but he loved to run forward with the ball drawing players to him, and this often gave space to mahrez and vardy.

I also dont like the way mahrez is always picked on by our fans, an easy scapegoat, he cannot perform miracles, he is been very heavily marked this season and when he gets the ball our players just stand there expecting him to beat 2-3 players and score a wonder goal.

I think our central defender combo is proving weak, but huth and especially morgan I expect are undroppable by the manager, albrighton and mahrez I still believe to be strong offensive players, but of course we also have schlupp and grey, the issue with grey I have found he has poor decision making and does no defensive work at all. Okazaki is our best performing forward player but still keeps getting dropped every other game.

I would stick hernandez in place of morgan or huth.
Start with mahrez and albrighton on wings.
In midfield oki, drinky and king. But oki given the license to move forward when we have possession.
Musa or slimani in attack.

In january a defensive midfielder is absolutely key to sign. We will probably have to pay way over the odds, but the cost of relegation is massive these days.
Also if 4-5-1 proves no good then 3-4-3 like chelsea have done or 3-5-2 should be considered.

We changed shape a lot last season, but this season we seem to stick rigidly to 4-4-2.

Vardy is still trying and is still creating, until our midfield is sorted we are up shit creek without a paddle, CR is desperately trying find a solution hence the constant swapping of players to plug the gaping whole in the middle. Possibly a change of formation may help in the short term the fact is King is top of the championship standard at best.

Fuchs is getting exposed because Albrighton has been moved from his side of the pitch, Gray flatters to deceive CR has spent big money and is trying to shoe horn players into the match day squad often out of position.

It's happened sparingly this season

Albrighton has operated almost exclusively down the left hand side

How anyone can believe otherwise is a complete mystery

So out of the whole of my post you two concluded I have not been watching games? Albringhton does get moved yet offers more cover than any other winger in the squad, he gave a lot of cover last season but has not really been in CR plans this year a bit like Nigel Pearson until he was forced to pick him. Instead Musa/Gray plays ahead of Fuchs both of which provide **** all in defensive cover.

It is abundantly clear just how good Kante is and how King is not up to standard, putting 3 in the middle will not help because in king you have a spare prick at the wedding who constantly slows the play down with sideways passing, Amartey is not a midfielder, Mendy and James are not fit, so please explain who will plug the gaps?

Or are you suggesting we put yet another player out of position? the simple truth is our recruitment has been piss poor and CR has been caught with his pants down, we are still a good outfit minus a midfield pairing as soon as this is sorted we will motor, as depressing as Saturday was we will bounce back I sure of that.

...Albringhton does get moved yet offers more cover than any other winger in the squad, he gave a lot of cover last season but has not really been in CR plans this year a bit like Nigel Pearson until he was forced to pick him...

Albrighton has played in 11 of the 14 league games this season along with 4 of the 5 Champions League games, I wonder how many games he'd play if he was in Ranieri's plans.

So out of the whole of my post you two concluded I have not been watching games? Albringhton does get moved yet offers more cover than any other winger in the squad, he gave a lot of cover last season but has not really been in CR plans this year a bit like Nigel Pearson until he was forced to pick him. Instead Musa/Gray plays ahead of Fuchs both of which provide **** all in defensive cover.

Out of 14 League games, Albrighton has started in ten of them
Sub in one other

All on the left hand side, right in front of Fuchs

Out of 14 League games, Albrighton has started in ten of them
Sub in one other

All on the left hand side, right in front of Fuchs
But that was obviously not the plan.

The clear problem I am seeing for sure is we seem to be deliberatly trying to play in a manner to conserve energy.

This is true because the players aren't fit enough. Matt Reeves and his team failed miserably to get the players ready for the season. The travelling, personal appearances and 'glamour' games were a sideshow in pre-season, but there is still no reason why they couldn't have got the players fit.

It is abundantly clear just how good Kante is and how King is not up to standard, putting 3 in the middle will not help because in king you have a spare prick at the wedding who constantly slows the play down with sideways passing, Amartey is not a midfielder, Mendy and James are not fit, so please explain who will plug the gaps?

This is complete hindsight but selling Inler so cheaply and easily now seems to be foolish and premature. He's played eleven times for Besiktas this season and not been on the losing side yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669