World Cup 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went back and timed the "six minutes" stoppage time yesterday.

The ball was out of play for 35 seconds for a goal kick to be taken. They're using multi-ball so there's no excuse for that.
It was out of play for 116 seconds after the penalty was awarded, but before it was taken.
Then it was out of play for 62 seconds after the goal was scored. but before the match restarted.

I don't expect refs to add time on every time someone takes 10 seconds to take a throw in etc, but when you're losing 30+ seconds regularly due to time wasting, the ref sorting out defensive walls, booking players etc, something should be done about it.

I went back and timed the "six minutes" stoppage time yesterday.

The ball was out of play for 35 seconds for a goal kick to be taken. They're using multi-ball so there's no excuse for that.
It was out of play for 116 seconds after the penalty was awarded, but before it was taken.
Then it was out of play for 62 seconds after the goal was scored. but before the match restarted.

I don't expect refs to add time on every time someone takes 10 seconds to take a throw in etc, but when you're losing 30+ seconds regularly due to time wasting, the ref sorting out defensive walls, booking players etc, something should be done about it.

Have you had a look at the link I posted Jeff? It's amazing how little time the ball is actually in play (at least according to the 2010/11 Premier League stats they used).

The problem with using somekind stoppage clock is that would dramtically change the game at the top level to even just a couple of divisions down where it wouldn't be cost effective. This would make it impossible to compare teams or players, and lead to the development of different tactics and strategies - in effect it'd be the abolition of promotion and relegation by the back door.

Have you had a look at the link I posted Jeff? It's amazing how little time the ball is actually in play (at least according to the 2010/11 Premier League stats they used).

Yes.

At the very least the refs should be adding on the correct amount of time for goal celebrations, substitutions and other long stoppages.
If they aren't capable of doing that the job should be given to someone else, maybe the fourth official.

It's happened again in the France v Nigeria match. Five minutes were added. In that time we had a stoppage of over a minute when a goal was scored, then over half a minute for a substitution. But the ref blew on exactly 95 minutes. Have they been told not to add anything at the end of stoppage time, or is it now considered part of the game for a goal celebration to last a minute and a substitution 45 seconds?

or is it now considered part of the game for a goal celebration to last a minute and a substitution 45 seconds?

Pretty much this, I'd say.

Time's only typically added on for blatant time wasting and/or lengthy injuries. And to be fair, it seems reasonably consistent across most matches so it's a fairly even playing ground.

Time's only typically added on for blatant time wasting and/or lengthy injuries. And to be fair, it seems reasonably consistent across most matches so it's a fairly even playing ground.

So when did they change the rules?

And why?

I can't see how not adding on any time for goal celebrations and substitutions makes any sense at all. It just encourages more time wasting.

Yes I'm sure I've heard a Premier League referee mention a set amount of time being given for goals and substitutions, rather than how long they actually take.

So when did they change the rules?

And why?

I can't see how not adding on any time for goal celebrations and substitutions makes any sense at all. It just encourages more time wasting.

Exactly. And why is it so hard for a ref to use a stopwatch? This doesn't have to be a high-tech solution. Just stop the clock when the ball is dead. Simples.

Yes I'm sure I've heard a Premier League referee mention a set amount of time being given for goals and substitutions, rather than how long they actually take.

Premier League refs have been told to add 30 seconds, but to add more if players are deliberately wasting time. But that's clearly not been happening in this world cup.

Premier League refs have been told to add 30 seconds, but to add more if players are deliberately wasting time. But that's clearly not been happening in this world cup.

Yes that sounds about right. It's odd that something so simple seems so hard to do, doesn't it?

During one of yesterday's matches the keeper was booked for pissing about, then decided he'd piss about a bit more before taking the kick. Completely pointless referee at that point.

Very open game this game with Germany. I'm in two minds who to support as I've got Germany in the office sweep.

Mahrez may not get on whilst the Algeria manager thinks they can still win this I reckon.

Last edited:
Algeria have been crying out for someone like Mahrez in this game, its been so open he would really thrive.

Manager bottled it imo

After the awful game mentioned above I am enjoying the Belgium USA game
even though its 0-0 after 90 minutes.
Not sure who is going to win this one.
very lively game. Belgium finally got their deserved 1-0 goal. Can USA come back now?

2-0, Lukaku who's had a miserable WC until he came on today. One assist and one goal so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669