?4.5 million next month BUT no promotion

Status
Not open for further replies.
especially when mr kelly is aiming for an average of a point per game. you are always in a better position by getting promoted, as has been mentioned watford have been very clever and will have plenty dollar to wave around next season i would think. as for not being a yo-yo club, aren't we leicester city? sure we've been there before?

I think people have mis-interpreted RK's comments (he didn't make himself very clear either). He said we needed 16 pts from 16 games to ensure survival and that was the first target. We have since gained 10pts from 4 games. If we win the next 2 he is not going to pack up and not play the final 10 games! I am sure he was always aiming for a lot more than 16 pts, he was just making the point that we have to get 16 for survival.

We have no chance of promotion really unless a number of the clubs in the hunt for the play-offs blow-up big style, or we get 10 wins one draw and only one defeat in the remainder of the games (highly improbable)

I think people have mis-interpreted RK's comments (he didn't make himself very clear either). He said we needed 16 pts from 16 games to ensure survival and that was the first target. We have since gained 10pts from 4 games. If we win the next 2 he is not going to pack up and not play the final 10 games! I am sure he was always aiming for a lot more than 16 pts, he was just making the point that we have to get 16 for survival.

We have no chance of promotion really unless a number of the clubs in the hunt for the play-offs blow-up big style, or we get 10 wins one draw and only one defeat in the remainder of the games (highly improbable)

:038:

It is not dissimilar to what MON used to say every season when asked about the teams prospects / targets. "We need 40 points to ensure we stay up"

I do not understand this 'build to get promoted with stability argument'. If you get in the Prem and you are crap you come back down but £50 million better off to get better for next time. You stay and build for two years you will still not have a strong Prem team and probably still come back down.
Watford didn't say 'Sorry big boys, we won't come up this year because we are crap.' They went and put their snouts in the trough and they will have a lot of money to build a much stronger team next year. As long as you do not have a weak board/manager that opens the purse strings too much on wages you cannot lose.

Is there anyone here who would seriously say 'Dear Milan/Rob, if we fluke the play-offs, please don't take us up to the Prem where all that money is, coz were crap!'

Completely agree with you MTBT. To say that promotion would not be a good thing is, too me, complete nonsense. The promotion with Adams was no good because Micky then went and messed up with some of his signings. What you need is promotion asap, and then sensible management when you get there.

Look at Brian Little's promotion campaigns. His best side was arguably the one in hist first season (91/92). I would argue that by the time we went up the squad was far weaker than that squad. And we were terrible in the Prem when we went up. So waiting 3 years (by cock-ups in the play-offs rather than design) did not help then.

It's never going to happen this year though. No way.

Yes but MTBT, haven't we been there before and look where it got us

(yes, I know we are where we are, before anyone says it)

The difference last time was that we were locked into 4 year player contracts at £30 000 per week when we came back down - that was what crippled us.

I think we were probably the first club to have dual contracts for which division you were in. Now if we are relegated from the Prem salaries are automatically cut, and/or players are released, though hopefully not for the £50 that Dickov was allowed to go for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00