9/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I don't fly very often.
I flew to Tokyo 3 or 4 weeks later, it was the weekend of the Japanese Grand Prix and we were landing at race time.

There were various rumours that our plane was on a high security watch list. Was shitting myself.

Shortly after the incident I had to show my passport at Newcastle train station to go to Edinburgh, fortunately stupid bollocks like that didn't last too long

I've been to Washington twice - once in 1995 and again in 2003. The first time I went the guards on one of the gates at The White House let me, my Mum, Dad and brother in the grounds to have a look around. Only in the gardens, mind, and they didn't let us out of sight but nevertheless, they didn't have any serious security worries.

The second time I went it was all fenced off, with designated photo points. A guy climbed up on a railing across the road to get a better view for a picture and three huge security dudes came running out, pistols raised shouting at him to get down immediately. I shit myself as I was nearby but this bloke nearly had a heart attack!

My computer had crashed that morning and I lost a lot of valuable data. Then I learnt about the attacks and my problems were suddenly totally insignificant.

I was finishing up my last year of University in the US. Woke up to the radio and hearing about the first plane. Thought it must have been a dream. Went to turn on the television and saw what was happening. I had friends who were in class at the time. Word got to them pretty quick, and all classes were cancelled. It was such a surreal feeling on the campus that day.

I was in the hospital with the missus who was just about to give birth to our daughter, in the end she didn't give birth until 3 days after.

It was only 7 years ago FFS!!!!

I know, but reading some of the posts is making me feel old.
I was in school, I was finishing uni, mum was wiping my backside....blah, blah, blah....

Well, I was in Argos in Gosport, buying a new holdall. All the tvs were on and at first I thought they were showng a trailer to a new Bruce Willis film.

If it had been any other country would we still be remembering the day in such a perverse way?:102:

It is ashame on what happened 7 years ago, god bless the families who lost people to this, but it is strange how 9/11 = 911 the USA emergency no.

Also there is rumours that thier was no Jewish people in the building and that they already knew that it was going to happen, SO is this so called Al-kieda behind it??? Other rumours i have heard is Bin laden is alive and well and living off the money off the US, and US know where he is but do not want to capture him because of "financial and Politic reasoning"

I have only heard this from people that i work with that lived in NY and other parts,

I understand what you say about the people of Afghanistan and of Iraq - but there have always been such conflicts somewhere in the world, so there is little change.

No, I don't fly very often. But I count as minor the inconveniences to passengers, compared with what might have been expected at that time. I would even suggest that the much more recent changes regarding the carrying of liquids in hand-luggage have had a far greater effect on airline passengers.

As we watched those planes slam into the buildings, I think everybody wondered where it was all going to end - for the vast majority of us have settled down to exactly the life we were having before.

A Jury did not believe the threat and of course it has subsequently transpired that there was a political element to the arrest of the individuals concerned.

The "War on Terror" has been not else but an exercise by Nazi/East German clones to sieze power in so called "democracies". :icon_conf As that has happened so neatly and as politicians have subsequently called for similar events to happen the US (and the convenient events of 7/7) one wonders how interconnected these events are. :icon_conf

I know, but reading some of the posts is making me feel old.
I was in school, I was finishing uni, mum was wiping my backside....blah, blah, blah....

Well, I was in Argos in Gosport, buying a new holdall. All the tvs were on and at first I thought they were showng a trailer to a new Bruce Willis film.

If it had been any other country would we still be remembering the day in such a perverse way?:102:

Where is the Anniversary of the so called Terrorist bombings in the Madrid Trains..... Only USA get this speical feel sorry for us attention

It is ashame on what happened 7 years ago, god bless the families who lost people to this, but it is strange how 9/11 = 911 the USA emergency no.

Also there is rumours that thier was no Jewish people in the building and that they already knew that it was going to happen, SO is this so called Al-kieda behind it??? Other rumours i have heard is Bin laden is alive and well and living off the money off the US, and US know where he is but do not want to capture him because of "financial and Politic reasoning"

I have only heard this from people that i work with that lived in NY and other parts,

There are many conspiracy theories surrounding it all, and the reference to 911 is, IMO, why it is referred to as 9/11, and not "The twin towers disaster" by those stateside.

All conspiracy nonsense, sorry.

i was at work at WorldCom and my mate who works in an investment bank (they have tellies up with the Bloomberg channel on) emailed me saying "a plane has hit the world trade center"

i said "that's funny, they tried to blow that up before and the trade center is supposed to be built to withstand a plane hitting it"

i assumed it was a light aircraft that some nutters had chartered for themselves. as soon as i realised it was a 747 full of fuel i went down the pub saying "not being funny boss, but something is going on and i need to watch the news, back in 20"

watched the second plane hit down the pub. i knew it was history in the making and that Francis Fukuyama was wrong, history was not over

couldn't think who would do it. i knew the USS cole and the two embassies had been bombed in east africa...but it seemed like pissed off locals, nobody had really heard of Al Qaeda on national news

I was in the hospital with the missus who was just about to give birth to our daughter, in the end she didn't give birth until 3 days after.

It must be nice to know that your missus gave birth on Jobber's birthday.

I was at work when my girlfriend called me and let me know. At first they thought it was a terrible accident. She saw live on TV the second one hit and called me again.

She was 7 months pregnant with our first child at the time. I remember wondering what type of world he would be born in to.

Boc's right though. Nothing has really changed in peoples lives, certainly not in the UK. Life goes on, just like 7/7 on the underground, after initial political knee jerk reaction, there is no more security than before and my girlfriend has to use it every working day.

Also there is rumours that thier was no Jewish people in the building and that they already knew that it was going to happen

by rumour, you mean anti-semitic bullshit?

A Jury did not believe the threat

Arguably not the only obtuse verdict by a jury this week.

In any case your rant is irrelevant to my statement about the amount of disruption caused.

by rumour, you mean anti-semitic bullshit?

Is it anti-Semitic to point out that the same Israeli company was responsible for "security" at Logan Airport and on the Tube? :102:

Sad event for those who were involved. Personally couldn't care less about memorials to it. People day in sad circumstances every day. I only concern myself with those I know and those who I affect or whom I can affect. Hope that's not seen as too cold but if it is ...

Is it anti-Semitic to point out that the same Israeli company was responsible for "security" at Logan Airport and on the Tube? :102:

Care to share with us the name of the company? BTW, are you seriously suggesting there is any sort of security system that could have stopped the tube attacks bearing in mind the hundreds of thousands of people who use the tube every day? I certainly don't think there is one. I trust you are not going to try to pin the bus attack on the Israelis as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670