Advice wanted - Cheapest return trip to Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

spionfox

My daughter and a friend need to travel up to Newcastle on Friday 13th January for a party that night. They can travel up at any time that day but would like to be in Newcastle no later than around 17:00. They want to travel back to Leicester anytime after mid-day Saturday or anytime on the Sunday.

She has told me the cheapest return train tickets would be £80 each but I said she was talking balls. Or did I say I bet someone on Talking Balls could help?

Anyone?

Leicester-Newcastle is a pain in the arse. Change at either Peterborough or Sheffield. But maybe fitz will be able to help.

Newcastle train from mk is shite, quicker to go into London and then up.

Leicester not much better, look at changing at derby.

She has told me the cheapest return train tickets would be £80 each

Any train ticket website will tell you there are single tickets available for £36.50 there, £30.50 back if you book specific trains in advance. Total £67.
For a more flexible journey without the need to buy in advance return tickets are £90.20 or £99.20 depending on the route.
You could save a bit by buying Leicester - Sheffield and Sheffield - Newcastle return tickets. Total £83.70.

If she's got a 16-25 railcard it would cost a third less.

Last edited:
Any train ticket website will tell you there are single tickets available for £36.50 there, £30.50 back if you book specific trains in advance. Total £67.
For a more flexible journey without the need to buy in advance return tickets are £90.20 or £99.20 depending on the route.
You could save a bit by buying Leicester - Sheffield and Sheffield - Newcastle return tickets. Total £83.70.

and split the Leicester to Sheffield bit at Derby.

If she's a student and has an NUS Plus card she can get a further 10% off the Cross-Country Trains part of her journey (Sheffield (or Derby) to Newcastle) by booking on the Cross-Country site.

My friend works at the train station, and he got me a student railcard, even though I'm a lot older than the 16-25 age range. I have saved a fortune.

My friend works at the train station, and he got me a student railcard, even though I'm a lot older than the 16-25 age range. I have saved a fortune.

There's no such thing as a student railcard. 16-25 Railcards, though not the ones with a 3-year validity, are available to mature students who meet certain criteria. I hope that you meet these criteria; otherwise you and your friend are guilty of fraud.

There's no such thing as a student railcard. 16-25 Railcards, though not the ones with a 3-year validity, are available to mature students who meet certain criteria. I hope that you meet these criteria; otherwise you and your friend are guilty of fraud.

I wouldn't personally condemn him for trying to get a railcard on the sly - I'll be doing the same once mine runs out. The national rail network have been deceiving people into thinking they might get a decent service for the scandalous amount of money they pay for years; in my eyes, they're the biggest frauds going.

Leicester-Newcastle is a pain in the arse. Change at either Peterborough or Sheffield. But maybe fitz will be able to help.

Jeff & Gaz have suggested the routes I would take. Sometimes ends up being cheaper using single tickets between Newcastle-York-Sheffield-Derby-Leicester both ways but that is a pain in the arse and depends if they are offering special deals at that time.....Leicester - Sheffield is usually the best though.

I wouldn't personally condemn him for trying to get a railcard on the sly - I'll be doing the same once mine runs out. The national rail network have been deceiving people into thinking they might get a decent service for the scandalous amount of money they pay for years; in my eyes, they're the biggest frauds going.

This

I heard on the radio yesterday that fares are increasing in the New Year because the Government subsidies are being pulled, and that the taxpayer has been keeping prices "low" all of this time.

I nearly crashed my car.

I heard on the radio yesterday that fares are increasing in the New Year because the Government subsidies are being pulled, and that the taxpayer has been keeping prices "low" all of this time.

I nearly crashed my car.

On Radio Cumbria yesterday a German student was saying how reliable and cheap the train service is here compared to German trains.
I think it depends on where in the country you are what your perception of the train service is like. The UK has some of the most expensive train fares in Europe, but also some of the cheapest. Some of the newest trains, and some of the oldest.

The UK has some of the most expensive train fares in Europe, but also some of the cheapest. Some of the newest trains, and some of the oldest.

In other words, it's all over the ****ing place!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00