African Nations - Togo bus shot at

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many African countries after gaining independence have not had some sort of civil war, civil unrest. military take over or tinpot dictators?

I can only think of South Africa, but they also have suffered a lot of civil unrest.
How many countries in the world haven't had some kind of civil war, civil unrest, military take over or tinpot dictator since gaining independence? Its not something unique to Africa.

How many countries in the world haven't had some kind of civil war, civil unrest, military take over or tinpot dictator since gaining independence? Its not something unique to Africa.

But seeing as it is currently an ongoing problem in Africa is it wise to hold a major international event there? Do you not think that this incident underlines the fact that maybe their authorities aren't on top of it enough to guarantee the safety of the fans and players?

Even more worrying is the fact a major footballing governing body thought it a good idea to hold a football tournament in a country that is actually going through a civil war and is supposedly unsafe to travel in by road.

What a ****ing shambles, it's worse than one of MK's sweep stake events.

But seeing as it is currently an ongoing problem in Africa is it w*s* to hold a major international event there? Do you not think that this incident underlines the fact that maybe their authorities aren't on top of it enough to guarantee the safety of the fans and players?

But, Angola is not the same country, or authorities, as South Africa... and I agree with DD, that this has nothing to do with South Africa and the World Cup.

Horrible incident, but not a reason not proof that the World Cup shouldn't be in Africa...

But seeing as it is currently an ongoing problem in Africa is it w*s* to hold a major international event there? Do you not think that this incident underlines the fact that maybe their authorities aren't on top of it enough to guarantee the safety of the fans and players?
South Africa is a lot more advanced then Angola as well as distant from it. Its like saying France 98 shouldn't have gone ahead because of the fighting in Kosovo.

Don't get me wrong I'm fully aware of the dangers within South Africa after the ordeal my cousin went through, but I don't feel that what happened in Angola should effect it.

But, Angola is not the same country, or authorities, as South Africa... and I agree with DD, that this has nothing to do with South Africa and the World Cup.

Horrible incident, but not a reason not proof that the World Cup shouldn't be in Africa...

It's like a shooting occuring in Vienna in the Euros 2008 and then people saying the World cup should not be held in England in the near future.

glad someone agrees with me!

I agree too - there's no way in the world FLEC will even find their way out of Cabinda, let alone the 1500+ miles to South Africa. I don't know why South Africa has even been brought up. That said, the choice of venue for the World Cup was at the time, and remains, a poor one.

Adebayor says they're out.

Says they've listened to the wishes of their government and will travel home. I think that's the right decision personally.

Aside from the shooting..... When does the tournament start and where can I watch it?

Starts today, Angola v Mali I think.

I think the group games are on eurosport and the BBC have the semi and final.

Niiiiiiiiice. I find African football very entertaining, when they're not being shot at that is.

Niiiiiiiiice. I find African football very entertaining, when they're not being shot at that is.

Hahah so do I !

Should be a good tournament actually, I was going to follow Togo as well because Adebayor is one of my favourite players but I don't know who to follow now. Mali look likely now.

Hahah so do I !

Should be a good tournament actually, I was going to follow Togo as well because Adebayor is one of my favourite players but I don't know who to follow now. Mali look likely now.

Whaaaaat? You pick weird players to be fans of.... Joey Barton? Adebayor? Next you'll be saying you love Dennis Wise, Drogba, and Lee Bowyer!

Hahah so do I !

The fact that none of teams seem arsed about the defending makes it a good watch. I think I'll watch Algeria closely seeing as England have them at the world cup, I can do some scouting for Fabio....

Just so you know... it had already started when you asked! ;)

Game kicked off at 7pm GMT

Angola 2-0 up against Mali at the moment... Half time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673