Andy Welsh

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Highland and OG, Maybury is more than adequate at Right Back, he is without doubt the most complete full back we currently have on our books, Kenton is too defensive whilst Stearman lacks experience and long term is a centre half.

Kelly seems to have a similar stubborn streak to Levein and has developed a blind spot to certain players which causes me more than a little concern.

I really see no reason why we continually ignore Maybury's claims for a starting spot in the side and yet we refused to cash in when given an opportunity to offload him, unbelieveable when you consider he is now a virtual outcast under RK.

Every manager has certain players which he never drops and considers them to be the core of the team.

Without knowing the ins and outs of the transfer it is hard to comment. Maybe it was Maybury who backed out of the deal? Meaning We didnt get any cash and resulting in RK making Maybury an outcast?

:102:

Maybury became a player fans had turned against due to his bad performances and yet as soon as he is out of the team for a couple of months, people think he is our best right back :icon_roll

Every manager has certain players which he never drops and considers them to be the core of the team.
Without knowing the ins and outs of the transfer it is hard to comment. Maybe it was Maybury who backed out of the deal? Meaning We didnt get any cash and resulting in RK making Maybury an outcast?

Maybury became a player fans had turned against due to his bad performances and yet as soon as he is out of the team for a couple of months, people think he is our best right back :icon_roll

Agreed but I still Maybury is the best right back at the Club.Yeah he was out of form for a few months but when others are they are supported,seems Maybury was chastised because of him being one of CL's favourites.Get a decent right winger ahead of him and i think Maybury is adequate at this level.

Truth is we are yet again languishing in the bottom half of the division, and performances have been inconsistent to say the least, and bearing in mind RK and many supporters bleat on about the small size of squad and the "We Have What We Have" speach that is blurted out after every poor result, I find it remarkable that RK will allow himself to alienate certain players, when results and performances perhaps dictate the need to change things around (and I don't mean at the moment).

Bearing in mind that we possibly go into tonights game in the midst of a potential defensive injury crisis then surely RK has to man manage these players to ensure if they are required that they are chomping at the bit to play for the manager, at present it appears Kelly chooses to ignore trouble rather than deal with it.

Agreed but I still Maybury is the best right back at the Club.Yeah he was out of form for a few months but when others are they are supported,seems Maybury was chastised because of him being one of CL's favourites.Get a decent right winger ahead of him and i think Maybury is adequate at this level.

Maybury is a decent player at this level but i wouldnt say he is any better then Kenton or Stearman. Kenton has put in some solid performances this season and to drop him for Maybury would be poor form on RKs part

Maybury is a decent player at this level but i wouldnt say he is any better then Kenton or Stearman. Kenton has put in some solid performances this season and to drop him for Maybury would be poor form on RKs part

Stearman is a Centre Half IMO and I think Maybury is better than Kenton,its just opinions:102: Nothing against Kenton just think Maybury is better

Truth is we are yet again languishing in the bottom half of the division, and performances have been inconsistent to say the least, and bearing in mind RK and many supporters bleat on about the small size of squad and the "We Have What We Have" speach that is blurted out after every poor result, I find it remarkable that RK will allow himself to alienate certain players, when results and performances perhaps dictate the need to change things around (and I don't mean at the moment).

Bearing in mind that we possibly go into tonights game in the midst of a potential defensive injury crisis then surely RK has to man manage these players to ensure if they are required that they are chomping at the bit to play for the manager, at present it appears Kelly chooses to ignore trouble rather than deal with it.

Or maybe he has told players that they need to show more effort in training if they want to make the squad and they havent bothered?. RK isnt going to leave somebody out of the team just because he has a problem with them. O'Grady went against RK and rightly got an internal ban. However, RK has brought him back into the squad and given him chances to prove himself, the same as Elvis Hammond.

IMO its more likely that those who are struggling to get into the team need to look at themselves rather then us blaming RK

Or maybe he has told players that they need to show more effort in training if they want to make the squad and they havent bothered?. RK isnt going to leave somebody out of the team just because he has a problem with them. O'Grady went against RK and rightly got an internal ban. However, RK has brought him back into the squad and given him chances to prove himself, the same as Elvis Hammond.

IMO its more likely that those who are struggling to get into the team need to look at themselves rather then us blaming RK

he wouldn't be the first..do you not think that goes on on football then ?

Stearman is a Centre Half IMO and I think Maybury is better than Kenton,its just opinions:102: Nothing against Kenton just think Maybury is better

Stearman may be a future centre half, but at the moment he does not have the physique to play there. Kenton has done nothing wrong this season to warrant being dropped.

he wouldn't be the first..do you not think that goes on on football then ?

Not in a squad our size. If Kenton was injured then i would fully expect Maybury to be back in contention and RK would find it difficult to leave him, just because he 'supposedly' doesnt like him.

Not in a squad our size. If Kenton was injured then i would fully expect Maybury to be back in contention and RK would find it difficult to leave him, just because he 'supposedly' doesnt like him.

Why would that make a difference?I would imagine Stearman is in front of Maybury in the pecking order anyway.
I think Maybury will be sold or allowed to leave the Club soon anyway.

Last edited:
Stearman may be a future centre half, but at the moment he does not have the physique to play there. Kenton has done nothing wrong this season to warrant being dropped.

The own goal against West Brom was a shocker. Altough if Kelly had any intention of playing maybury he surely would have dropped kenton and played him after that

The own goal against West Brom was a shocker. Altough if Kelly had any intention of playing maybury he surely would have dropped kenton and played him after that

I was not at the game but relying on good old RL but they said up to that point he was having a good game.

I though Maybury was a decent RB though so it does seem strange that he has gone off the radar completley

I don't necessarily disagree with this post, however sometimes the best individuals or in form players don't always make the best team. For instance Kenton has played well from a defensive point of view as has Johansson but do the offer the attacking support that maybe say a Sheehan or Maybury would offer, sometimes it is the overall balance of the side that is important.

IMO whilst we have looked fairly solid defensively, on numerous occasions we have struggled to break teams down, and I feel that has been down to the fact that the team has lacked balance, we have been strong as a defensive unit but inflexible going forward and maybe if RK had selected a more mobile full back we could have won games 2 -1 as oppose to a 0-0 draw or maybe even turned a narrow defeat into a draw.

I would like to see RK sacrifice some of our defensive strength in favour of a more mobile and attacking selection, and I think that is where RK has been more than a little limited in his selections.

I don't necessarily disagree with this post, however sometimes the best individuals or in form players don't always make the best team. For instance Kenton has played well from a defensive point of view as has Johansson but do the offer the attacking support that maybe say a Sheehan or Maybury would offer, sometimes it is the overall balance of the side that is important.

IMO whilst we have looked fairly solid defensively, on numerous occasions we have struggled to break teams down, and I feel that has been down to the fact that the team has lacked balance, we have been strong as a defensive unit but inflexible going forward and maybe if RK had selected a more mobile full back we could have won games 2 -1 as oppose to a 0-0 draw or maybe even turned a narrow defeat into a draw.

I would like to see RK sacrifice some of our defensive strength in favour of a more mobile and attacking selection, and I think that is where RK has been more than a little limited in his selections.

I can see what you're saying A-Z but I don't think our problems arise from lack of mobility in the defence. I agree that two full backs who could push forward a little more effectively would help. Our problems are in midfield where we need more quality out wide (right side esp.) and one of the central midfielders needs to run past the forwards more often. A solid defence should give the midfield the confidence to push on more.

I think Kenton is just as effective supporting a winger as Maybury or Stearman, though Stearman has the scoring knack that the other two lack. Also Kenton has been fine this season, considerably better than when he was on loan.

Getting finance in to improve the midfield could only come from selling players. With McCarthy, McAuley, Stearman and Johansson all able to play central defence I would suggest that Kisnorbo, decent player though he is, is most dispensable if we can get a reasonable fee for him - especially if Sheehan comes back from loan ready to step up.

About twice? Wasn't it exactly twice? Once in a bad defeat at Bradford and then in a home game against Middlesbrough.

As you may have guessed Boc I made sure I checked my facts before posting - in the knowledge that you would be on the case. I hid my anorakness by preceding the fact with the 'about' :icon_wink .

I can see what you're saying A-Z but I don't think our problems arise from lack of mobility in the defence. I agree that two full backs who could push forward a little more effectively would help. Our problems are in midfield where we need more quality out wide (right side esp.) and one of the central midfielders needs to run past the forwards more often. A solid defence should give the midfield the confidence to push on more.

But overlapping full backs should be able to bomb forward and help create space for the wingers or wide midfielders to exploit, this would stop teams from setting up in 2 banks of four and would stretch and open them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool615
2Manchester C  614
3Arsenal614
4Chelsea613
5Aston Villa512
6Fulham611
7Newcastle611
8Brighton69
9Nottm F69