Anton Ferdinand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Profondo Rosso

Rumours he's been sent a bullet in the post. Sick bastard whoever did this, if true.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16759691.stm

Anton Ferdinand: Police probe 'bullet sent in post' to QPR

Page last updated at 17:50 GMT, Friday, 27 January 2012

Police are investigating after a "malicious communication" - reportedly containing a bullet - was sent to Queens Park Rangers' training ground.

The Met would not reveal the letter's contents or the intended recipient.

The Fulham Chronicle says the bullet was sent in a letter addressed to QPR defender Anton Ferdinand.

QPR play Chelsea in the FA Cup at Loftus Road on Saturday for the first time since John Terry was charged with racially abusing Ferdinand.

"We are investigating an allegation of malicious communication received today at QPR FC," police said.

QPR released a statement following inquiries about the incident, saying "full searches" would be carried out as spectators arrived for the Chelsea match which kicks off at 1200 GMT.

"We would like to advise supporters from both QPR and Chelsea to arrive early at the stadium," the statement said.

"Full searches will be carried out ahead of your entry to the ground, so please have your tickets to hand and be ready to be searched. Entry to the stadium will be permitted from 10.30am for the midday kick-off.

"We are asking for your full understanding and co-operation."

Paul Finney from the Independent Rs QPR website told BBC Radio 5 live he was "surprised, shocked and disappointed" by the "malicious communication" allegation.

"These guys have got families and he [Ferdinand] doesn't want to go on to a football field tomorrow fearing for his safety," he said.

"I cannot understand anyone who would do such an act. Anton Ferdinand will need the support of everyone in the ground tomorrow. Football has to win tomorrow."

Earlier, it was revealed that defender Ferdinand, 26, was considering refusing to shake hands with Chelsea captain Terry before the fourth-round tie.

Advisors and QPR officials had told Ferdinand that shaking hands with Terry would be the best course of action.

Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas said earlier on Friday that it was "extremely important" that Ferdinand shakes Terry's hand.

"This game is based on good values more than anything else," he said. "These players should continue to promote these good values."

However, QPR boss Mark Hughes said he would not force Ferdinand into shaking Terry's hand.

"If he feels it is not appropriate - that has to be his own decision," he said. "It won't be influenced by myself or the club."

Terry's case is due to be heard on Wednesday 1 February at Westminster Magistrates. It was switched from west London at the request of the chief magistrate because of the profile of the case.

The England captain will not be attending the hearing. His legal team will enter a not guilty plea on his behalf.

Last edited:
I think it was sensible to get rid of the handshake. If I was a Chelsea player who believed Ferdiand had made a malicious accusation against one of my team mates (and we do not know which of the two is lying) then I would not want to shake his hand.

I dislike forced handshakes anyway - except for those by Stuart Pearce. On shaking hands he used to glare with complete malice straight in the face of the other player.

These days footballers are very nice.Older fans will remember the kind of player who would not be tolerated today. They might like to imagine Jimmy Scoular (Newcastle) or Eddie Clamp (Wolves) shaking hands.

I think it was sensible to get rid of the handshake. If I was a Chelsea player who believed Ferdiand had made a malicious accusation against one of my team mates (and we do not know which of the two is lying) then I would not want to shake his hand.

I dislike forced handshakes anyway - except for those by Stuart Pearce. On shaking hands he used to glare with complete malice straight in the face of the other player.

These days footballers are very nice.Older fans will remember the kind of player who would not be tolerated today. They might like to imagine Jimmy Scoular (Newcastle) or Eddie Clamp (Wolves) shaking hands.

Any Chelsea player that thinks Terry is innocent when it is clearly caught on video needs some help, no excuses. If the FA had any balls Terry wouldn't have been playing in this game so it wouldn't have mattered.

Any Chelsea player that thinks Terry is innocent when it is clearly caught on video needs some help, no excuses. If the FA had any balls Terry wouldn't have been playing in this game so it wouldn't have mattered.
The FA cannot do anything whilst a police investigation and charges are in place. It would be prejudicial.

The FA cannot do anything whilst a police investigation and charges are in place. It would be prejudicial.

The FA can do what it wants in this since it is a private organisation, it could suspend him whilst charges are under investigation which doesn't prejudice anything.

The FA can do what it wants in this since it is a private organisation, it could suspend him whilst charges are under investigation which doesn't prejudice anything.
Indeed it could, but only if it want to be in contempt of court and the subject of employment law litigation.

Indeed it could, but only if it want to be in contempt of court and the subject of employment law litigation.

? Plenty of people are suspended whilst being investigated, it has no bearing on the criminal case, the FA don't employ Terry and would suspend him from playing in their competitions which is within their rights.

? Plenty of people are suspended whilst being investigated, it has no bearing on the criminal case, the FA don't employ Terry and would suspend him from playing in their competitions which is within their rights.
I may be guilty of being ignorant of the law, but you are ignoring one fact.... there is a presumption of innocence.
The FA suspend players as a punishment ergo they would be seen to be punishing him for an offence he had not been found guilty of.
Reading through the rules, they can impose an interim sanction only if the FA, Premier League and the PFA agree to it. As the PFA are meant to uphold his employment rights, it is unlikely they would support such an action.
The FA are also probably fearful of litigation by John Terry if the court case were to find him not guilty i.e. damaging his image.
As his employer, Chelsea could also suspend him pending the court case, but have not come in for the same critisism as FA.
I'm just playing devil's advocate here, I hate the c**t as much as anyone.

Last edited:
I may be guilty of being ignorant of the law, but you are ignoring one fact.... there is a presumption of innocence.
The FA suspend players as a punishment ergo they would be seen to be punishing him for an offence he had not been found guilty of.
Reading through the rules, they can impose an interim sanction only if the FA, Premier League and the PFA agree to it. As the PFA are meant to uphold his employment rights, it is unlikely they would support such an action.
The FA are also probably fearful of litigation by John Terry if the court case were to find him not guilty i.e. damaging his image.
As his employer, Chelsea could also suspend him pending the court case, but have not come in for the same critisism as FA.
I'm just playing devil's advocate here, I hate the c**t as much as anyone.

That was why I said the FA would need balls to do it, which they don't have, the FA don't need a court to find him guilty, they don't use courts for any other suspensions (ask Liverpool). The PFA would be in a very difficult situation as they are supposed to uphold both Terry and Ferdinands rights. Best thing would be for someone to give Terry the kicking he deserves.

That was why I said the FA would need balls to do it, which they don't have, the FA don't need a court to find him guilty, they don't use courts for any other suspensions (ask Liverpool). The PFA would be in a very difficult situation as they are supposed to uphold both Terry and Ferdinands rights. Best thing would be for someone to give Terry the kicking he deserves.
They don't need balls, just a concensus which I doubt they have or could obtain. I'm sure if Ferdinand felt intimidated then the PFA would have defended his right not to play on the weekend. He didn't exercise that option.

The PFA have to act without preference, i.e. they have to entertain the possibility that Ferdinand is acting maliciously when dealing with John Terry's case, and assume that John Terry is a horrrible, racist, cheating, lying, low life when dealing with Anton's.

As for needing a court, the player has a right to a hearing which, with the solicitors that are inevitably involved/present is effectively a court. They cannot do that until the legal case had been answered as it could have been potentially prejudicial.

As for the kicking, I'll take two tickets.

It's the first time I've been told that a gathering of lawyers is a court, I have spent lots of time in court over the last few years without knowing it.

It's the first time I've been told that a gathering of lawyers is a court, I have spent lots of time in court over the last few years without knowing it.
Well, I think it begins with a c, but my memory can't quite dredge up the word I'm looking for.:icon_bigg

They don't need balls, just a concensus which I doubt they have or could obtain. I'm sure if Ferdinand felt intimidated then the PFA would have defended his right not to play on the weekend. He didn't exercise that option.

The PFA have to act without preference, i.e. they have to entertain the possibility that Ferdinand is acting maliciously when dealing with John Terry's case, and assume that John Terry is a horrrible, racist, cheating, lying, low life when dealing with Anton's.

As for needing a court, the player has a right to a hearing which, with the solicitors that are inevitably involved/present is effectively a court. They cannot do that until the legal case had been answered as it could have been potentially prejudicial.

As for the kicking, I'll take two tickets.

The FA is reportedly going to strip Terry of the England armband, are they in contempt of court in your view?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669