Post Match Aston Villa 2 Leicester 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely if you can’t defend a cross into the box you have to play the one defender who is big enough to head the ****ing ball. Vestergaard might not be Paulo Maldini but when a team is struggling the first thing you do is try and stop the other team scoring first and foremost… however ugly that may be
Have you seen Vestegaard trying to defend a cross?

Same shit, different match.

We're actually quiet a good team when we have the ball, first half we were really good and should have been winning going by chances but thanks to our poor defending, we were actually lucky to be level.

What it absolutely criminal though is our ability to deal with any sort of ball in to the box be it corner, free kick or even a cross.

Our wingers are appalling at tracking the opposition full back and this causes the defence to pull across and then leave the opposite full back free on the far post.

I can see why we do little to prevent crosses coming in though as chances are it will lead to a corner which means we may as well just give them the goal - 10 goals conceded from corners in 15 games is abysmal at any level, let alone when you are trying to compete at the very top, and really is bordering negligence as its not just been this season and quite possibly cost us top 4 last season.

And then our marking, if you can call it that, at corners is just mental. We don't actually mark players, and if we do we'll have our smallest player on their CB but today we just decide to leave Konsa completely free. We really just need to get our strongest and best headers on their best and go man for man as this zonal crap clearly doesn't work.

And then there is the subs, Vardy was useless when he came on and it completely nullified Daka who was having a good game until then. And then bringing Perez on out wide and Nachos for KDH I just don't understand.

I was worried in the summer that we didn't have enough out wide in attack, which we clearly don't, but we really need to sort out the defending of set pieces first.

This isnt down to players being injured as it has been the same whoever has played at the back.

Surely if you can’t defend a cross into the box you have to play the one defender who is big enough to head the ****ing ball. Vestergaard might not be Paulo Maldini but when a team is struggling the first thing you do is try and stop the other team scoring first and foremost… however ugly that may be
Soyuncu was totally inept for that goal

You're always conned by moments.

KDH, Barnes and Maddison were all very similar today. You could put together a two minute clip video of their performance and it would look great. In moments, they look top quality. Unfortunately, the game isn't two minutes long.

For most of the game they were all not good enough. Maddison was great against Watford and Southampton but today he was back to his previous self. The odd positive thing mixed into loads of poor play. Barnes was great for spells in the first half and then disappeared. KDH made some good runs and passes and then gave the ball away cheaply, missed clear opportunities to put forwards in, and generally just ran out of ideas and energy.

You call out Evans and Soyuncu and neither player is playing well right now. But they're getting precious little support and protection from the players around them. So many times, it's them against three of four forwards whilst the two minute players jog back.
Or I watched the game. Properly.

I mean, I didn't say they were great. I said they were our best players; they were. Everything is relative. The fact that you disagree is par for the course. The fact that I couldn't care less about that is also to be expected.

Evans and Soyuncu don't need bags of support to do the basics. Don't bolt out of defence, know who is around you and clear the ball quickly. It's the simplest model and so easy to get right but they are unable to do even this. Defend them all you like, the fact remains that they have been diabolical for the vast proportion of this season.

The Sky commentator said that with Leicester, a Villa corner is as good as a goal … just before they scored.

Moan about individual players all night long if you wish

But they’ve been coached and managed into this collective state over a long period of time. Today was yet another example of the absolute ineptitude of Rodgers and his back room staff. Not forgetting Congerton, who has bought a magnificent load of horseshit

Stop picking on individual players - game by game it’s one and then another (apart from Lookman, obviously who has always been wank).

Instead take a look at the bigger picture, and consider who is masterminding this complete awfulness

Yes. Did you see Soyuncu trying to do it today?
Doesn't mean Vestegaard is the answer when we've already seen he's got just about the worst aerial presence in the squad....

Our marking in general is all out of whack and that's Brendan's insistence on sticking with this zonal marking rubbish. I'd have Ndidi, Evans and Soyuncu all man marking their most threatening aerial threats on corners and have others looking to cover the space. Either way something needs to change tactically, not necessarily in the personnel department. We've not got a lot of aerial ability in the squad full stop.

Hard for a team to perform when the defence is as **** as they are right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s easy to point at players individually. The fact is, as a team we are massively bereft of confidence in the defence. We need players back asap to make the difference.

I have to say the players today lacked any belief in the structure or the possible outcome.

In my opinion Rodgers has lost the dressing room which 99/100 signifies his exit.

Today was a carbon-copy of the last 30 or summat games, I’m done.

He can **** off.

I have to say the players today lacked any belief in the structure or the possible outcome.

In my opinion Rodgers has lost the dressing room which 99/100 signifies his exit.

Today was a carbon-copy of the last 30 or summat games, I’m done.

He can **** off.

Imagine what was said at half time.....more inspiring stuff like they've learned **** all defensively since puel was there, they we're punching above in the first half etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363