• red sauce

Votes: 28 51.9%
  • brown sauce

Votes: 26 48.1%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomato!

Red sauce compliments bacon; brown sauce interferes with it.

Brown is fine if you're talking about cheapo crappy bacon but, on a good crispied up bit of quality pig, it is sheer madness.

There are also many other bacon sarny variables. How well cooked should the bacon be? Do you accompany with a few shrooms? White cob or brown? Soft or crunchy? Cob or Baguette? Bread toasted? Bacon cut into slivers or whole rashers? Fried, grilled or oven cooked? Hot or cold? Smoked bacon or unsmoked? Fatty or meaty?

It takes years of practice to perfect the art of a good bacon sarny.

I hear ya. I go to the butchers for my cobs so the swine is of the highest quality. My brekkast cob of choice is bacon and tinned chopped tomato with HP sauce on a soft white cob. If I feel extra peckish I will also have a sausage and mushroom with Heinz TK on soft white. Marvellous.

brown for me

Thought so :icon_lol: :icon_wink

I have noticed that the red/brown split seems to be set into age groups. Tbh this reflects on my own life I was always a red sauce man until around a year ago and now I am a devout brown sauce fan.

Me too, had red on everything when I was a kid, now its brown or nothing. Cant touch Red, makes me sick.

Red sauce compliments bacon.

Red Sauce: Oooooh, Mr Bacon. You certainly are a delicious sarnie filling. You've always been my favourite.

Bacon: Nice of you to say so, Miss Bacon.

Or perhaps you didin't mean "compliments"?

Decent bacon doesn't need sauce of either colour to make it tasty. What kind of shite are you people buying?

Last edited:
Tomato!

Red sauce compliments bacon; brown sauce interferes with it.

Brown is fine if you're talking about cheapo crappy bacon but, on a good crispied up bit of quality pig, it is sheer madness.

There are also many other bacon sarny variables. How well cooked should the bacon be? Do you accompany with a few shrooms? White cob or brown? Soft or crunchy? Cob or Baguette? Bread toasted? Bacon cut into slivers or whole rashers? Fried, grilled or oven cooked? Hot or cold? Smoked bacon or unsmoked? Fatty or meaty?

It takes years of practice to perfect the art of a good bacon sarny.

Wholemeal brown bread
Dry cured bacon --> back --> al dente
Tomatoes x2
Pepper to taste.

:icon_bigg :biggrin: ;)

just tipped the balance towards red ;)

Red Sauce: Oooooh, Mr Bacon. You certainly are a delicious sarnie filling. You've always been my favourite.

Bacon: Nice of you to say so, Miss Bacon.

Or perhaps you didin't mean "compliments"?

Very droll - a rogue 'i' with a manic 2 year old girl whacking the keyboard and shouting 'Beebies, Beebies' isn't too bad. Be glad when I'm back at work and can post in peace!

Had a BBQ today and discovered at serving up time that there was no red sauce left!! Stuck with a choice between the BBQ sauce (the Mrs's favourite), HP or Majo. Yuk.

I'm amazed at the number of people that have passed puberty that would even consider tomato ketchup.
It's what kids have with their fishfingers & chips.

I'm amazed at the number of people that have passed puberty that would even consider tomato ketchup.
It's what kids have with their fishfingers & chips.

Emotional, physical, intellectual? Help me out here! ;)

Wholemeal brown bread
Dry cured bacon --> back --> al dente
Tomatoes x2
Pepper to taste.

:icon_bigg :biggrin: ;)

Not bad I suppose but lacking in a couple of key areas. The finest I've tried so far are:

Wholemeal, crusty cobs, lightly toasted. A light spread of red sauce on both sides of the cob. Smoked quality bacon and cook the **** out of it. Needs to be crispy. Then shred the bacon into pieces. Separately, cook a few chestnut shrooms in butter/olive oil combination on high heat for a couple of mins until juices absorbed. Pile more than is feasible into cobs and voila. Perfection.

bacon should be enjoyed on it's own, not with disgusting mushrooms to impair the flavour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669