Barcelona Director in Hypocrisy Shocker...

Status
Not open for further replies.

indierich06

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/footba...sfer-fee-shocks-barcelona-chief#ixzz1DOiukNHt

Torres left Anfield to join the Reds' London-based Premier League rivals on transfer deadline day.

And the headline-grabbing transfer, along with the arrival of £25million David Luiz, was seen as a statement of intent from Blues owner Roman Abramovich that he is still prepared to spend serious money in pursuit of success.

But Sanllehi, whose club spent the comparatively miserly sum of 3million euros on PSV Eindhoven midfielder Ibrahim Affelay last month, expressed surprise at the vast sums changing hands in England - where Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez joined Liverpool for a combined £58million to act as Torres' replacements.

He said: 'I was shocked by the amount spent.

'I did not expect such big amounts, especially in winter.'

'I felt the amount [for Torres in particular] was very high. Barcelona would not make that signing. We would not even consider it.'

Isn't this the same club who 'considered' and then signed Ibrahimovic for 46million Euros PLUS Samuel Eto'o? Who then turned out to be a massive flop and was farmed out on loan to AC Milan?

And they would 'not even consider' paying £50million for 26-year-old Torres, but happily paid 40million Euros for a 29-year-old David Villa and gave him a 5 year contract?

I'm not defending the English clubs ridiculous spending during the January transfer window and I'm not saying that Villa hasn't been a good signing for Barcelona, but people in glass houses really shouldn't throw stones...

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/footba...sfer-fee-shocks-barcelona-chief#ixzz1DOiukNHt

Isn't this the same club who 'considered' and then signed Ibrahimovic for 46million Euros PLUS Samuel Eto'o? Who then turned out to be a massive flop and was farmed out on loan to AC Milan?

And they would 'not even consider' paying £50million for 26-year-old Torres, but happily paid 40million Euros for a 29-year-old David Villa and gave him a 5 year contract?

I'm not defending the English clubs ridiculous spending during the January transfer window and I'm not saying that Villa hasn't been a good signing for Barcelona, but people in glass houses really shouldn't throw stones...
He was the sixth best goalscorer in the league and the second best in Barça so I think massive flop is a bit harsh, but yeah, he was overpriced obviously.

Regarding the president, what else is he supposed to say? Neither of "yes, we would have loved to sign him but we don't have enough cash" or "yes, we did try to sign him but he turned us down" sounds very good.

I think you're a journalist, Rich? Then you know that people in a business like football only say what they think the fans want to hear.

Maybe he just thinks Torres is not as good as Villa or Zlatan, which I would imagine to be a popular opinion.

Last edited:
He was the sixth best goalscorer in the league and the second best in Barça so I think massive flop is a bit harsh, but yeah, he was overpriced obviously.

Regarding the president, what else is he supposed to say? Neither of "yes, we would have loved to sign him but we don't have enough cash" or "yes, we did try to sign him but he turned us down" sounds very good.

I think you're a journalist, Rich? Then you know that people in a business like football only say what they think the fans want to hear.

The whole point is that he didn't have to say anything at all, he's come out making comments about things that don't concern Barca in the slightest and he's shown himself to be a hypocrite in doing so.

And the journalist in me knows you're right, it doesn't stop me getting annoyed though :icon_wink

Maybe he just thinks Torres is not as good as Villa or Zlatan, which I would imagine to be a popular opinion.

Going on this season's form it would be a wholly correct opinion in the case of Villa - he's scored about 14 goals so far I think, not sure though. I also think, when they're both on top form, Villa is still a better player than Torres.

But - and it's a big but - if Chelsea can get Torres back to the top of his game and keep him there for the length of his contract then he will undoubtedly be worth the £50 million they paid.

As for Ibrahimovic, I've never been a massive fan of him - I think he has always been quite an overrated player and in terms of natural skill and talent, Torres is streets ahead of him IMO.

I wonder how much they'll offer us for King. Hoping for something in the £20mil region.

But - and it's a big but - if Chelsea can get Torres back to the top of his game and keep him there for the length of his contract then he will undoubtedly be worth the £50 million they paid.

£50 million is a massive gamble for a player that has never been the same since his injury a year ago. Perhaps, Barcelona are not 100% sure that Torres will ever regain the combination of pace, strength and sharpness that made him so valuable.

As for Ibrahimovic, I've never been a massive fan of him - I think he has always been quite an overrated player and in terms of natural skill and talent, Torres is streets ahead of him IMO.

Never heard that opinion before. Generally the criticism of Zlatan is that he is lazy and doesn't perform in the big matches. He's undoubtedly one of the most skillful and talented players around, far moreso than Torres imo. I love watching Zlatan, he can pull something special out of nothing, sure he may be lazy or make mistakes, but that's part of his charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566