Beckford Appeal Successful

Status
Not open for further replies.
The same was said by the commentator on match highlights by the BBC. Perhaps they got it from there and didn't bother to research. Wallies.

Re: Brighton 1 Leicester 0

Yer, and if there's any dodgy decisions in the replay, that too should be replayed again with the officials only getting a single fee. We'll just keep playing the match over and over until they get it right. It's the only way they'll learn

OOOOORRRRR you use technology to limit the impact potential "dodgy" decisions can have on a game. Just an idea like.

OOOOORRRRR you use technology to limit the impact potential "dodgy" decisions can have on a game. Just an idea like.

Makes more sense than trying to reclaim points we aren't entitled to and would probably garner much more support. ;D

Makes more sense than trying to reclaim points we aren't entitled to and would probably garner much more support. ;D

Woods, trees, and all that.

My point is that shit decisions often dictate games and lifting a suspension does little to rectify what has already happened.

It's a massive blind spot in football. Just use whatever resources we have available to make the correct decision. FIFA lives in the dark ages.

Last edited:
It's football, crap decisions, crap performances and crap days out are balanced by the few great days. No one dies (usually) and life goes on.

Last edited:
Well at least we have JB for Cardiff - what strikers do we have available btw? Nugent, Beckford, Gally, Howard, Marshall and errr… What's Delfouneso's condition??

I still cannot see for one moment why the linesman may have interpreted Beckfords actions as a sending off offense. Are these guys just looking for trouble or are they just flippin blind. It would do the FA no harm at all if they made public statements about these type of incidents and demoted the officials for a couple of weeks.

Trouble is we don't know what was in the linesman's report. This should be made public in my opinion. in truth we don't know if the lineo was wrong or that JB has got away with something. I know from bitter experience that the FA always give the benefit of doubt to players. I once set a guy off for headbutting an opponent - right in front of me. He claimed that he had 'nodded' and accidently hit the opponent. Complete and utter bollocks. But, incredibly the FA beleived him and it was recinded. I was livid at the personal hearing. Based on what you say I should have been demoted!

.Would video evidence help? it hasn't here as the lineo doesn't raise the flag until Beckford is out of shot so we can't tell what was said or done. The FA should make statements, the lack of information causes more problems!!

Having said all that I am chuffed he hasn't got a ban!

Woods, trees, and all that.

My point is that shit decisions often dictate games and lifting a suspension does little to rectify what has already happened.

It's a massive blind spot in football. Just use whatever resources we have available to make the correct decision. FIFA lives in the dark ages.

Couldn't agree more.

"The 28-year-old was dismissed following an exchange of words with Albion's Lewis Dunk"

They think he was sent off for something he said.

They say a couple of lines later on that it was for violent conduct. Make up your minds BBC or at least proof read

Trouble is we don't know what was in the linesman's report. This should be made public in my opinion. in truth we don't know if the lineo was wrong or that JB has got away with something. I know from bitter experience that the FA always give the benefit of doubt to players. I once set a guy off for headbutting an opponent - right in front of me. He claimed that he had 'nodded' and accidently hit the opponent. Complete and utter bollocks. But, incredibly the FA beleived him and it was recinded. I was livid at the personal hearing. Based on what you say I should have been demoted!

.Would video evidence help? it hasn't here as the lineo doesn't raise the flag until Beckford is out of shot so we can't tell what was said or done. The FA should make statements, the lack of information causes more problems!!

Having said all that I am chuffed he hasn't got a ban!

Although I see your point, I think it's very likely that the linesman has got it wrong. If it were for something he'd said, chances are he would have said it whilst he was next to the linesman rather than 15 yards down the road. I don't think Jermaine is the type of person to say it whilst he is down the road. The replay I saw, Jermaine was still in shot when the linesman began flagging and he had his back to him so there was no confrontation. It was ridiculous and I think the FA accept that.

Bit of a cop out that.

Progress is progress. There are hundreds of resources available to improve the quality of officiating.

Ultimately, at least for me, I just want the game to be as immune from mistakes as possible.

The best recent example being Lampards goal that wasn't against Germany.

Bit of a cop out that.

Progress is progress. There are hundreds of resources available to improve the quality of officiating.

Ultimately, at least for me, I just want the game to be as immune from mistakes as possible.

The best recent example being Lampards goal that wasn't against Germany.

I'm not a big fan of video evidence as it may stop start the game and even now with all the camera's it isn't always conclusive. A cheaper, easier and quicker solution is to have extra officials on the goal post to see the ball over the goal line. Frees up the lineo to concentrate on offside and not to have run to the goal line (Although don't get me started on offside - a ridiculous and flawed law to officiate on!) It would give newly promoted officials the chance to to get some experience in bigger games too without having too much responsibility.

I'm not a big fan of video evidence as it may stop start the game and even now with all the camera's it isn't always conclusive. A cheaper, easier and quicker solution is to have extra officials on the goal post to see the ball over the goal line. Frees up the lineo to concentrate on offside and not to have run to the goal line (Although don't get me started on offside - a ridiculous and flawed law to officiate on!) It would give newly promoted officials the chance to to get some experience in bigger games too without having too much responsibility.

I don't think it would slow down the game as much as people think. All the technology really needs to be used for is to verify dubious goals or red card offences - you'd barely get one stoppage per game, how many times this season has a goal been incorrectly awarded for or against us? We've had a few red cards, but if all the ref had to do was jog over to the touchline, watch a quick replay and make a decision, it'd be all sorted in the space of about a minute.

Having said that, I still believe all these incidents even themselves out and as much as people moan, they add character to the game. They create heroes and villains and add to the narrative of the season. If everything was absolutely cut and dry, it'd be a bit less interesting for sure. Plus, who would the fans blame when the ref gets all of his decisions right?

Last edited:
I'm not sure that it would slow down the game any more than the ref being surrounded by players all arguing the toss and demanding cards/penalties etc.

I don't think it would slow down the game as much as people think. All the technology really needs to be used for is to verify dubious goals or red card offences - you'd barely get one stoppage per game, how many times this season has a goal been incorrectly awarded for or against us?

What if the sending off was for two yellow cards? You could still get incorrect sending offs that wouldn't get picked up on. And you'd still be left with games like Boro where people were raging about the officials performances and there was no technology that could have helped.

Red cards spoil games and should be reserved for the worst incidents as they are more often that not in Rugby. Not that it would ever happen, but a sin bin would much fairer for most of the sendings off you see now days.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570