Speculation Beckford to Bolton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Squads are limited to 25 players(over 21) so he'd be potentially occupying the berth of a player who could make a more positive contribution. His continued presence could also have a negative effect on team moral.He's got all the cards, best fold and shuffle up again.

Isn't the squad numbers just a Premier League thing?

Even if it wasn't, we could just not include him in our squad list.

It still has little, if anything to do were the supposed belief on here that any player who is sold, get's every penny of their remaining contract paid up as a thank you for doing **** all for us.

Isn't the squad numbers just a Premier League thing?

Even if it wasn't, we could just not include him in our squad list.

It still has little, if anything to do were the supposed belief on here that any player who is sold, get's every penny of their remaining contract paid up as a thank you for doing **** all for us.

Under the terms of the players contract he is legal entitled to take 100% of the payments owing to him, the club cannot unilaterally change this and has to negotiate with the players ways that they might reduce what they owe to him, the player cannot be forced to sign for a new club at lower wages but might agree to go if the City cover his shortfall in salary. It basically comes down to Beckford deciding he wants to play football rather than rot in the reserves and accepting a lower salary at a different club or City making it appealing for him to go. I'd guess that there is also a loyalty bonus in the contract if he stays for the full term, how annoying would it be if he was here long enough to collect that.

I'd guess that there is also a loyalty bonus in the contract if he stays for the full term, how annoying would it be if he was here long enough to collect that.
Aren't loyalty bonuses payable to players who are sold without them having asked for a transfer?

Aren't loyalty bonuses payable to players who are sold without them having asked for a transfer?

As Jeff says, as far as I am aware Beckford hasn't asked to leave so he would still get a loyalty bonus.

Exactly. Regardless of whether he stays to the end of his contract he'll still be due the loyalty bonuses written into it unless he slaps in a transfer request for some reason.

I think they are usually staged through a contract so a player gets a certain percentage for staying for set lengths of his contract, if he goes now he won't get it all just the proportion he has already received, I may be wrong and will have to wait until Leesoh qualifies as a players agent to have the full legal pack.

I think they are usually staged through a contract so a player gets a certain percentage for staying for set lengths of his contract, if he goes now he won't get it all just the proportion he has already received, I may be wrong and will have to wait until Leesoh qualifies as a players agent to have the full legal pack.

If players ask for a transfer request, they lose the loyalty bonus that they would be due in the future. That's because they've not been loyal.

If they don't ask for a transfer request and are sold, they are owed the full loyalty bonus up to the end of the contract. That's because they can argue that it's the club's decision to sell him, so why should he lose out on the bonus as a result?

That's why some clubs, when they know a player wants a transfer, will refuse to sell unless the player hands in a formal transfer request - and why some players try to engineer a transfer without having to put in a request.

A quote from an anonymous club chief exec:

"A written request is the worst thing for a player or an agent. Every contract has an annual loyalty bonus built in and even if a player is sold in the most acrimonious circumstances, as long as he didn’t hand in a transfer request the club has to pay that for the remainder of his contract. Players and agents don’t want to lose that so you end up doing this dance."

http://fourfourtwo.com/blogs/fourfo...he-truth-behind-the-transfer-rumour-mill.aspx

"A written request is the worst thing for a player or an agent. Every contract has an annual loyalty bonus built in and even if a player is sold in the most acrimonious circumstances, as long as he didn’t hand in a transfer request the club has to pay that for the remainder of his contract. Players and agents don’t want to lose that so you end up doing this dance."

http://fourfourtwo.com/blogs/fourfo...he-truth-behind-the-transfer-rumour-mill.aspx

I know of at least one high profile player who has been reported to have signed a contract that works in the way I outlined, contracts can be drawn up any way you like as long as everyone agrees but there are standard templates and I'd guess players and agents push for guarantees, however if the loyalty bonuses aren't guaranteed a player could just sit it out or use them as part of their negotiating package anyway.

Last edited:
Looks like it's about to happen - if the quotes attributed to Freedman are genuine:

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wanderers/wanderersnews/10551884._/?

DOUGIE Freedman would be happy to see Jermaine Beckford's move from Leicester City costing Wanderers a packet.

The Jamaica international striker will be unveiled at the Reebok tomorrow after weeks of negotiations between the two clubs.

Freedman revealed that the deal will involve a small up front fee – but could escalate in cost if the former Leeds United and Everton man helps Wanderers into the Premier League with a hatful of goals.

“Jermaine's deal was done as of about three hours ago, so in the morning it will be announced,” Freedman said. “We've all worked very hard – even Leicester, to be fair – coming to a deal.

“We feel it's a good deal for the football club. He's a proven goalscorer, I know his character well and the deal is done on a performance-basis.

“For the deal we've got it's an absolute no-brainer for this football club for where we are right now.

“There is a very small fee involved up front but it's tied in with promotion and how many goals he scores – that's how Leicester will get their money. So if we benefit then Leicester benefit and that's why it has taken a little bit longer.

“I think Phil Gartside has done very well in making sure this deal went well for the football club.”

Last edited:
Looks like it's about to happen - if the quotes attributed to Freedman are genuine:

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wanderers/wanderersnews/10551884._/?

DOUGIE Freedman would be happy to see Jermaine Beckford's move from Leicester City costing Wanderers a packet.

The Jamaica international striker will be unveiled at the Reebok tomorrow after weeks of negotiations between the two clubs.

Freedman revealed that the deal will involve a small up front fee – but could escalate in cost if the former Leeds United and Everton man helps Wanderers into the Premier League with a hatful of goals.

“Jermaine's deal was done as of about three hours ago, so in the morning it will be announced,” Freedman said. “We've all worked very hard – even Leicester, to be fair – coming to a deal.

“We feel it's a good deal for the football club. He's a proven goalscorer, I know his character well and the deal is done on a performance-basis.

“For the deal we've got it's an absolute no-brainer for this football club for where we are right now.

“There is a very small fee involved up front but it's tied in with promotion and how many goals he scores – that's how Leicester will get their money. So if we benefit then Leicester benefit and that's why it has taken a little bit longer.

“I think Phil Gartside has done very well in making sure this deal went well for the football club.”

So does it benefit City to give Bolton the 6 points this season? :icon_razz

We really are a caring club.

I've taken a further look and conclude this is the standard way loyalty bonuses work and that the saving I was referring to isn't possible, the reports I had seen were just some lazy journalists writing nonsense.

I've taken a further look and conclude this is the standard way loyalty bonuses work and that the saving I was referring to isn't possible, the reports I had seen were just some lazy journalists writing nonsense.
Lazy journalists? Nonsense? Impossible, surely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566