Being a lecturer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hector

Sorry, I replied before reading the bit in brackets :icon_redf.

Actually my first degree was as broad as "Biology", which included a lot of flexibility in chosing modules, during which i gradually became more attracted to plant sciences and chose it for my Ph.D. I wouldn't really describe Biology (or Plant Science) as a technical subject as such, and probably 80% of my teaching is fundamental understanding of how plants work (the remaining 20% is Plant Biotechnology).

I work in a Biology Departtment, and it is olutely certain nobody would be appointed as a lecturer in the Department without a Ph.D and postdoctoral experience. I would be surprised if anybody got appointed with much fewer than 10 peer-reviewed papers, and most recent appointees have been in their 30s.

As I said in my previous mail though it depends on the discipline. Colleagues in Engineering and Computer Science for example don't always have Ph.Ds (a former Head of Computer Science had only a Masters). Means of disseminating research results can also be very different - in some disciplines the peer-reviewed research paper is not necessarily the norm. Architecture is another discipline where Academics may have a range of backgounds, not necessarily including a Ph.D.

It all depends on your field.

Lboro fox

What if you intended to have a career in the media? I guess it could be pretty valuable then.

Yes and no. Without being an expert in the subject of the media, i suspect your average media degree doesn't help in the slightest if that is what you want to do.

070714_mcdonalds.jpg

The above may be a more likely destination for a media graduate.

Lboro fox

Sorry, I replied before reading the bit in brackets :icon_redf.

Actually my first degree was as broad as "Biology", which included a lot of flexibility in chosing modules, during which i gradually became more attracted to plant sciences and chose it for my Ph.D. I wouldn't really describe Biology (or Plant Science) as a technical subject as such, and probably 80% of my teaching is fundamental understanding of how plants work (the remaining 20% is Plant Biotechnology).

I work in a Biology Departtment, and it is olutely certain nobody would be appointed as a lecturer in the Department without a Ph.D and postdoctoral experience. I would be surprised if anybody got appointed with much fewer than 10 peer-reviewed papers, and most recent appointees have been in their 30s.

As I said in my previous mail though it depends on the discipline. Colleagues in Engineering and Computer Science for example don't always have Ph.Ds (a former Head of Computer Science had only a Masters). Means of disseminating research results can also be very different - in some disciplines the peer-reviewed research paper is not necessarily the norm. Architecture is another discipline where Academics may have a range of backgounds, not necessarily including a Ph.D.

It all depends on your field.

Am an engineer myself, as beights is an IT bod, i suspect his path into the world of lecturing is more similar to my field than your own? I have been giving my opinions based upon my experience as an undergraduate too and i went to a former 'poly' which from what you said earlier makes a difference.

Disco Bob

Cheers Hector, looks like I need to get meself back for a Ph.D for a start!
Becoming Eastern European or Chinese with a limited grasp of English would help you no end in your quest.

The quantity of cheap imports at British institutions grows annually.

City Fan

As long as you have the skill of being able to read some notes made by someone else on a powerpoint presentation, then you will be fine.

Matt_B

I sense some cynicism about this fine profession! Don't let it put you off.

I would quite like to end up teaching in some form, but I'm a little concerned about teaching A-Level or GCSE, have you seen how "advanced" some of the girls are :icon_wink:058:

Hector

I would quite like to end up teaching in some form, but I'm a little concerned about teaching A-Level or GCSE, have you seen how "advanced" some of the girls are :icon_wink:058:

You mean they have knowledge beyond their years?

Steven

So with regard to your missus that gets better at Uni. Full of 18 year old tottie away from home for the first time, looking to explore, looking for a father figure....... :icon_wink

Babylon

So with regard to your missus that gets better at Uni. Full of 18 year old tottie away from home for the first time, looking to explore, looking for a father figure....... :icon_wink

Sounds great, can I be a lecturer with my 10 GCSE's? I've always wanted to teach 18 year old girls a thing or two.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670