Best Exchange Rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MHS

Hi all.

I go to Spain in 8 days and want to know where the best place will be to get my pounds changed to euros? Any suggestions? Thanks.

You could try Sketchley's, but I suspect you'll have more luck at the bank.

The best rate is usually obtained by using a Nationwide debit card in a cash machine in Spain. If you're not a Nationwide customer, use the Post Office - they usually have the best rate.

Having said that, check out Thomas Cook - they have an offer on at the moment. If there rate is lower than the Post Office, they will double the difference.

travelex - I have always found these to offer the best rate. You can also pay for it with a debit card and arrange to pick it up at the airport when you depart.

Last edited by a moderator:
www.travelex.co.uk - I have always found these to offer the best rate. You can also pay for it with a debit card and arrange to pick it up at the airport when you depart.

Yes. I have also used them in the past. Just checked their rate today and it is better than the Post Office.

It should be pointed out though that to get a decent rate with Travelex you must order and pay for your currency on the net in advance, collecting it at your airport/port. If you just turn up on the day and buy currency from them at the airport, you will get a very much worse deal.

Yes. I have also used them in the past. Just checked their rate today and it is better than the Post Office.

It should be pointed out though that to get a decent rate with Travelex you must order and pay for your currency on the net in advance, collecting it at your airport/port. If you just turn up on the day and buy currency from them at the airport, you will get a very much worse deal.

Whenever I've been to the post-office, I've always thought their rate is quite naff.

Marks & Spencers usually offer a highly competitive high street rate, and I'm not sure about other Tesco's, but our local Tesco now has a foreign exchange booth in it, and the last time I looked their rate was also very competitive.

Unless MHS is looking to change a large sum, I think he'd be ok with going to any reputable foreign exchange outlet, as the difference between each will be the matter of a few cents.

Last edited:
Having said that, check out Thomas Cook - they have an offer on at the moment. If there rate is lower than the Post Office, they will double the difference.
:018:

How much do you consider to be a 'large' sum Notts? I will be taking about £500.

How much do you consider to be a 'large' sum Notts? I will be taking about £500.

A monkey won't last long. :icon_conf

Whenever I've been to the post-office, I've always thought their rate is quite naff.

Marks & Spencers usually offer a highly competitive high street rate,...

You've told me this about the Post Office before; I still don't agree with you.

Today's rates:
Post Office - £1 = €1.1293 - commision free
M&S - £1 = €1.1122 - commission free

A monkey won't last long. :icon_conf

What an ungenerous statement to make. There are many people who would be delighted to be able to afford to take rather less than £500 spending money with them on a trip. Just because you and your expense account can afford more, it doesn't give you the right to sniff at others.

You've told me this about the Post Office before; I still don't agree with you.

Today's rates:
Post Office - £1 = €1.1293 - commision free
M&S - £1 = €1.1122 - commission free

The rate for the post office I presume you have taken from their website.?

Having just returned from my local shopping area where there is a post office, the rate above was not on offer. It was 1.0944

I managed to get 1.1217 in the Thomson holiday shop. Commision free.

If MHS wants to use a website, then i've not found anyone who will beat Travelex. Today is 1.1348

Thats alot of cash MHS, and you should look for the best rate possible. Had you been changing £100 odd then it wouldn't have been worth the hassle or time looking.

Just to give you an idea and going on Boc's findings, if these were both definitely available at High Street outlets then £500 would get you:

564.65 Euros at Post Office
556.10 Euros at Marks & Spencer

So a difference of nearly 8 Euros. That will get you a meal!

Travelex will get you 567.40 Euros, so against the M&S rate, it's over 11 Euros better off in your pocket.

Having just returned from my local shopping area where there is a post office, the rate above was not on offer. It was 1.0944

You live in Robin Hood land. Your Post Office is obviously in Robin Bastards land. The rate I quoted is the one from my local Post Office and is identical to the one they offer on the net.

You live in Robin Hood land. Your Post Office is obviously in Robin Bastards land. The rate I quoted is the one from my local Post Office and is identical to the one they offer on the net.

I think your right! It was the same post office that tried to charge me for sending a package back to a FREEPOST address :icon_bigg

What an ungenerous statement to make. There are many people who would be delighted to be able to afford to take rather less than £500 spending money with them on a trip. Just because you and your expense account can afford more, it doesn't give you the right to sniff at others.

I am not sniffing at anyone thank you. :018: :018: He is a young bloke going to Spain on holiday he should let himself go and all I am suggesting is that a monkey might not be enough.

Thanks for your help gents.

Will they exchange money at any post office? There's one 4 minutes away from my house, saves the hassle of going to town/Fosse Park.

Steve-O, I'm going to a music festival - won't be paying for any nights out or any real entertainment at all, £500 will be more than enough. Went to the same place last year with less than £250 and coped.

Thanks for your help gents.

Will they exchange money at any post office? There's one 4 minutes away from my house, saves the hassle of going to town/Fosse Park.

Steve-O, I'm going to a music festival - won't be paying for any nights out or any real entertainment at all, £500 will be more than enough. Went to the same place last year with less than £250 and coped.

I think pretty much most post offices provide foreign exchange but I am sure you can check online so you dont waste a journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669