Post Match Blackpool 3 Leicester 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look on the bright side, at least you didn't draw with relegation bound Cov. They look dire.

Reporter for SSN last night (think it was Salako) and The Mirror's match reporter both said Cov fully deserved their point. :102:

IMO individually the back 4 didnt play too bad, but the rare times Blackpool got on top they came at us in numbers and therefore the midfield were not tracking back good enough. Peltier was average, i cant remember him getting skinned by their so-called tricky wingers, Morgan won most of the high balls and SSL did some good defending (apart from his slip for the 2nd goal) Konch was the pick of the defence but he was supposed to be marking Phillips at the corner for thier first. NP seem to think we get bullied by physical strikers and therefore brought in Morgan, but IMO the backline unit were unhinged either by Phillips dropping off deep or them attacking in numbers from midfield, therefore a big strong defensive midfielder is needed, as pointed out by Sven

I think the combination of over-exuberant full back play and a lightweight midfield have been our undoing.

2 attacking full backs paired with 2 wingers leaves the midfield too much to do.

I think the combination of over-exuberant full back play and a lightweight midfield have been our undoing.

2 attacking full backs paired with 2 wingers leaves the midfield too much to do.

The way we play it, yes - but it doesn't have to be that way.

Spot on. I came to that conclusion last Sunday, when it was clearly demonstrated playing against some real class.

And the really strange thing is that Pearson of all managers should adopt this approach. Possible he has thought that the only hope of making up ground is to go for that type of (lightweight) attacking style.

And the really strange thing is that Pearson of all managers should adopt this approach. Possible he has thought that the only hope of making up ground is to go for that type of (lightweight) attacking style.

Previous versions of his sides have had very defensive fullbacks. Berner, Morrison, Neilson all spring to mind. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of St Ledger or Bamba move to right back full time soon.

Say what you will about Sven, his squad was built to use fullbacks as an attacking presence and leave at least one holding midfielder in to mop up. That's why he signed a surfeit of midfielders, he knew he would be using at least 3 a game.

The squad was not built to play 442. What I've found disappointing is that Pearson hasn't built a formation that fits the squad, instead he has put square pegs in round holes. Things will be much better when Pearson can sign the players he needs to fit the system, but as it stands he has shown a rigidity that has been a bit costly.

Last edited:
Previous versions of his sides have had very defensive fullbacks. Berner, Morrison, Neilson all spring to mind. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of St Ledger or Bamba move to right back full time soon.

Say what you will about Sven, his squad was built to use fullbacks as an attacking presence and leave at least one holding midfielder in to mop up. That's why he signed a surfeit of midfielders, he knew he would be using at least 3 a game.

The squad was not built to play 442. What I've found disappointing is that Pearson hasn't built a formation that fits the squad, instead he has put square pegs in round holes. Things will be much better when Pearson can sign the players he needs to fit the system, but as it stands he has shown a rigidity that has been a bit costly.

A Yuki Abe perhaps to sit in front of the back four.

Last edited:
I'm still surprised Pantsil hasn't been given a chance... Is he ever even mentioned? I wonder if he's even still with the club.

I didn't see him play at the start of the season, when he was supposedly pretty bad, but Peltier has been bad in most of the games I've seen him in and NP seems to have given most other fringe players a chance, so why not Pantsil? From memory, I don't think he's been in a single match squad since Pearson returned.

I thought he'd be a good signing when we got him...

It looks like nigel is doing a Boothroyd.I think he was terrific for you and did a decent job for us but seems to have run out of steam?luck?
Will he have to relocate for Wycombe?

It looks like nigel is doing a Boothroyd.I think he was terrific for you and did a decent job for us but seems to have run out of steam?luck?
Will he have to relocate for Wycombe?

Worry about Barmby. Two wins in ten is it?

I will never understand why Pearson never game him a chance.

Suspect Fernandes wasn't interested In which case it isn't Pearson's fault. Whenever I saw him play he was our best midfielder.

I don't think there's any suspicion about it. He asked for his loan to be terminated early once Sven left - he just wasn't remotely interested in playing for us once SGE had gone.

I don't think there's any suspicion about it. He asked for his loan to be terminated early once Sven left - he just wasn't remotely interested in playing for us once SGE had gone.

Given what we have experienced since, that appears to have been a very sound choice on his part

Probably didnt fancy being consistently passed over for the likes of Wellens, Gallagher and Dyer. Since he's playing for a team 5th in Serie A now, I don't blame him.

Writing, wall, all that.

Worry about Barmby. Two wins in ten is it?

But he had a good start, like so many new managers do, with a squad he inherited from NP. Obviously he's the next Sir Alex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669