Pre Match Blackpool (A)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both of them lead to nothing, so both are as bad as each other...surely? Next you will be saying that missing an open goal to the right is better than missing it to the left.

A corner might go over everyone's head because the players in the box misjudge the flight of the ball, or mistime their jumps/runs. One that doesn't get past the first man is just a bad corner.

Both of them lead to nothing, so both are as bad as each other...surely? Next you will be saying that missing an open goal to the right is better than missing it to the left.

Left's always best ;)

A corner might go over everyone's head because the players in the box misjudge the flight of the ball, or mistime their jumps/runs. One that doesn't get past the first man is just a bad corner.

exactly my point

Put one of ours in front of their defender on the first post, then at least there is a chance of a touch or deflection into the box if the corner is not what it should be.

Don't you start with your sensible posts!

Everyone know a corner should land between the six yard box and penalty spot, if it doesnt land there then make sure it misses everyone and it goes out for a goal kick or throw in. Otherwise it is a crap corner, the player should be dropped and his family abused on Twitter!

What about if the first man is a Leicester player? Is it still a bad corner?

It has gone from a ball that goes over everyone, to a ball that 'just' goes everyone, to a ball that is actually good but the players in the box miss it. What about if it doesnt hit the front man, doesn't go over everyone and just lands in the middle of the box?

Last edited:
They'd put someone in front of him. So we'd put someone in front of him. Then they'd put one in front of him, etc...
In the end there would just be a long line of players from the near post to 10 yards from the corner flag.

:)

What about if the first man is a Leicester player? Is it still a bad corner?

It has gone from a ball that goes over everyone, to a ball that 'just' goes everyone, to a ball that is actually good but the players in the box miss it. What about if it doesnt hit the front man, doesn't go over everyone and just lands in the middle of the box?

I was making the point that a ball going over everybody's heads is not necessarily a bad corner and therefore I'd much rather it happened than one that was cleared by the first defender, which always will be a poor corner and one that we've witnessed far too many times this season.

Love it! People that use his goal scoring ratio (including both goals in the win aganist Cardiff, as well as goals in the draws against Peterborough and Ipswich) instead of whether he can take a corner or win a tackle you mean?

As has been proven by many professional players, scoring a pen is easier said then done. It also underlines his character that he is willing to step up in pressure situation to take the kick.

I think you know what I'm getting at - people will use his goascoring record to try and support his influence on the pitch, but to me him scoring a penalty isn't him personally having an effect on the game. Certainly Pearson prefers him to take penalties, but any other player could and should be to do exactly the same from the penalty spot. For me, penalties aren't the same as other dead ball situations - if Gallagher scores a free kick, or takes a fantastic corner that leads to us scoring a goal, that's him having a positive impact on the game using his skill and technical ability. If he scores from the spot, well that's something every player collecting a wage for a Championship football club should be able to do 9 times out 10.

I think you know what I'm getting at - people will use his goascoring record to try and support his influence on the pitch, but to me him scoring a penalty isn't him personally having an effect on the game. Certainly Pearson prefers him to take penalties, but any other player could and should be to do exactly the same from the penalty spot. For me, penalties aren't the same as other dead ball situations - if Gallagher scores a free kick, or takes a fantastic corner that leads to us scoring a goal, that's him having a positive impact on the game using his skill and technical ability. If he scores from the spot, well that's something every player collecting a wage for a Championship football club should be able to do 9 times out 10.

Surely every player should also be able to take free kicks and corners as well? I mean this guys earn millions and only train until midday. They should all be out there practicing corners and free kicks until they are all scoring 9 out of 10 free kicks and 9 out of 10 corners are a goal?

Heh, you're making me think of the woman who rang up the Moan In after Chelsea and said our players weren't training hard enough because they weren't as fast as the Chelsea players and if they just trained harder then they would be.

So we had Muzzy's who's corners were quite good...8 years ago. :)

Thanks for making me feel old. ;)

Honestly I think Gally's corners (for the most part) have been much better than Oakley's and the few players who took them before (whose names I have repressed). But that might only shows how bad we've been at taking corners for the last few years.

Heh, you're making me think of the woman who rang up the Moan In after Chelsea and said our players weren't training hard enough because they weren't as fast as the Chelsea players and if they just trained harder then they would be. .

The sad thing is that some people honestly think that is all it takes. I was just trying to point out that saying "every player should be able to take a penalty" is like saying every player should be able to score from a free kick, take a corner, run fast, dribble the entire length of the pitch with the ball, etc

Thanks for making me feel old

Honestly I think Gally's corners (for the most part) have been much better than Oakley's and the few players who took them before (whose names I have repressed). But that might only shows how bad we've been at taking corners for the last few years. .

It is a little bit scary to think the glory days under MON are over 10 years ago now!

The sad thing is that some people honestly think that is all it takes. I was just trying to point out that saying "every player should be able to take a penalty" is like saying every player should be able to score from a free kick, take a corner, run fast, dribble the entire length of the pitch with the ball, etc

It is a little bit scary to think the glory days under MON are over 10 years ago now!

The chances of scoring from a penalty are a fairly high percentage for any striker and any player who is involved in attacking play. Obviously some players have better success ratios than others, but you can take Gally out of the team and and we'd still score 7 out of 10 penalties. You made the point that he is our second highest scoring player in the league, you can't shoot someone down for making the valid point that he takes our penalties when fit, and that invariably makes him more likely to have a higher tally of goals over the course of a season than other members of the squad.

Last edited:
The chances of scoring from a penalty are a fairly high percentage for any striker and any player who is involved in attacking play. Obviously some players have better success ratios than others, but you can take Gally out of the team and and we'd still score 7 out of 10 penalties. You made the point that he is our second highest scoring player in the league, you can't shoot someone down for making the valid point that he takes our penalties when fit, and that invariably makes him more likely to have a higher tally of goals over the course of a season than other members of the squad.

Similarly you cannot dismiss his goal tally just because he takes pens. He still has to score them and his penalty taking is part of his game. If you dont want to count pens then do you add some goals because he takes the corners (admittedly poorly sometimes) which means he doesnt have an opportunity to score from them?

Hopefully we continue our good run against Holloway, don't think we've lost to him since he's left which is a nice stat and feeling confident after Sunday even though the scoreline looked like a pasting. If we play like that again tonight, minus the awol defence part, we should come away from here with 3 points.

Hopefully be the same team apart from Marshall for Gally and if Danns doesn't it will be a massive blow as he has been fantastic recently. Not through form but becuase he is actually playing in his propper position now. Maybe see Peltier come back in for a bit of pace at the back though as Matty Phillips as one of the best players in the league in my opinion.

3-1 City as we'll never get a clean sheet playing against another certain Mr Phillips that has a habit of scoring very good goals against us all the time!! We'll still win though.

Based on Geoff Peters tweet, the team tonight will be:

Schmeichel

Peltier
St Ledger
Morgan
Konchesky

Dyer
Wellens
Danns
Drinkwater

Nugent
Beckford

Bamba on the bench.

Matt_B;1102268[B said:
]I've just caught up [/B]and I can't see anything that was constructive. Telling her that they hope his injury ruins his career etc is not something they would say to her face, so why on the net? One of the guys describes himself as 'hating pikeys', which sums up his character to me.

You may have caught up Matt but as usual I am still way behind. Is there some post that I have missed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566