Pre Match Blackpool (A)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gallagher is the most annoying player we have I've decided. I have defended him endlessly and when he is on his game he is the most technically gifted player we have, but I'm getting fed up now of him making me look like a bigger idiot than I normally do. Having said that, nobody has been consistent all season, he's just been more inconsistent than most.

Danns, on the other hand, started poorly but is now starting to hit form. I have no doubt it will probably drop off towards the end again.

Firstly, I just wanted to say you do talk some rubbish sometimes, but I completely agree with your main points in this thread. I am not sure why there were plenty lining up against you, but nobody arguing with you.

Right back on point.

Gally might be the most inconsistent player we have but in the league he is our second highest scorer (7 goals in 17 starts (7 sub)), which isnt a bad ratio for a wide midfielder. Yes his corner taking is frustrating, but he wasnt the only one who couldnt take them. He should have done better when tracking back for one of their goals, but why was he the last man? Where was the defence and other midfielders?

At the moment he is everyones target, that is until the next bad performance when Wellens, Dyer, Bamba, etc arent up to standard and then they will become the main focus. Some fans dont seem to realise that form is only temporary and that when a player is struggling it is then when the fans should show them the positive support they need to help them re-discover their form. Torres has received plenty of stick, but the Chelsea fans have stuck with him and you could see its value in his celebrations for the goals and in his overall performance against us.

As for tonight. A 3-0 win for us and everyone will start talking (or continue) about the play-offs again

Last edited:
Firstly, I just wanted to say you do talk some rubbish sometimes, but I completely agree with your main points in this thread. I am not sure why there were plenty lining up against you, but nobody arguing with you.

Right back on point.

Gally might be the most inconsistent player we have but in the league he is our second highest scorer (7 goals in 17 starts (7 sub)), which isnt a bad ratio for a wide midfielder. Yes his corner taking is frustrating, but he wasnt the only one who couldnt take them. He should have done better when tracking back for one of their goals, but why was he the last man? Where was the defence and other midfielders?

At the moment he is everyones target, that is until the next bad performance when Wellens, Dyer, Bamba, etc arent up to standard and then they will become the main focus. Some fans dont seem to realise that form is only temporary and that when a player is struggling it is then when the fans should show them the positive support they need to help them re-discover their form. Torres has received plenty of stick, but the Chelsea fans have stuck with him and you could see its value in his celebrations for the goals and in his overall performance against us.

I tried to explain the corner thing to my grandad at the Chelsea match. Even top players are hitting corners regularly into the first man lately, I can only think they are trying to aim for a 6pence spot at the near post.

He is frustrating me because I just don't see him doing what he is capable of often enough for some reason. I know it's not intentional, it must be as annoying for him as well.

Right back on point.

As for tonight. A 3-0 win for us and everyone will start talking (or continue) about the play-offs again

I've stuck up for him in the past, but even I'm getting a bit fed up of his lacklustre performances now. His corners are terrible, so much so that I don't know why Pearson lets him take them. There surely must be someone in the squad who can deliver a ball from the corner that can at least beat the first man?

Secondly, I imagine a fair few of his goals tally are penalties. I know you've still got to put the ball in the net, but the people who defend his poor performances by quoting his goalscoring record need to take this into account. If he scores a penalty, it doesn't mean he's had a good game, that goal hasn't come through any kind of guile or endeavor on his behalf, he just beat the keeper from the spot.

I tried to explain the corner thing to my grandad at the Chelsea match. Even top players are hitting corners regularly into the first man lately, I can only think they are trying to aim for a 6pence spot at the near post.

He is frustrating me because I just don't see him doing what he is capable of often enough for some reason. I know it's not intentional, it must be as annoying for him as well.

We have never had anybody who could take a consistently good corner. Oakley used to get absolutely slatted for his. I think the problem is that fans get excited about the potential of a corner, but then 9/10 it will come to nothing and whoever takes it gets blamed. When somebody does score everyone forgets the corner taker.

Last edited:

So your excuse for him being so inaccurate from a corner is because he is trying to be accurate?

I've stuck up for him in the past, but even I'm getting a bit fed up of his lacklustre performances now. His corners are terrible, so much so that I don't know why Pearson lets him take them. There surely must be someone in the squad who can deliver a ball from the corner that can at least beat the first man?

Secondly, I imagine a fair few of his goals tally are penalties. I know you've still got to put the ball in the net, but the people who defend his poor performances by quoting his goalscoring record need to take this into account. If he scores a penalty, it doesn't mean he's had a good game, that goal hasn't come through any kind of guile or endeavor on his behalf, he just beat the keeper from the spot.

Love it! People that use his goal scoring ratio (including both goals in the win aganist Cardiff, as well as goals in the draws against Peterborough and Ipswich) instead of whether he can take a corner or win a tackle you mean?

As has been proven by many professional players, scoring a pen is easier said then done. It also underlines his character that he is willing to step up in pressure situation to take the kick.

So your excuse for him being so inaccurate from a corner is because he is trying to be accurate?

I think Matt was talking about players in general...rather than just Gally. Also, how do you know he is being inaccurate, for all we know NP has told everyone to take corners to the near post. It might be that the players in the box arent making the right runs... :)

There have been lots of good corner takers over the years.

Ben Marshall is probably the best corner taker we have at the moment.

Hopefully once he gets a run in the team he will take responsibility. I mean if he can score goals like the one against Chelsea then he has to be able to take a good corner...right?

There have been lots of good corner takers over the years.

Ben Marshall is probably the best corner taker we have at the moment.

I agree. Although he's struggled in games in terms of beating defenders and putting crosses in, his dead ball delivery has been of a much higher quality than Gallagher. I'd much rather a ball go over everyone's heads than it not get past the first man. I also agree with indierich regarding Gally's goal scoring tally. Does anyone know how many of his goals have been penalties this season?

Last edited:
I agree. Although he's struggled in games in terms of beating defenders and putting crosses in, his dead ball delivery has been of a much higher quality than Gallagher. I'd much rather a ball go over everyone's heads than it not get past the first man. I also agree with indierich regarding his goal scoring tally. Does anyone know how many of his goals have been penalties?

:102:

Marshall's inclusion in the side meant an immediate uptick on set piece quality from the games I saw. Even when he was quiet, he was contributing on that front.

A cross just over everyone's head can still be a very good cross. A cross that gets cleared away by the first defender is just shit!

Both of them lead to nothing, so both are as bad as each other...surely? Next you will be saying that missing an open goal to the right is better than missing it to the left.

Put one of ours in front of their defender on the first post, then at least there is a chance of a touch or deflection into the box if the corner is not what it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566