Pre Match Blackpool v Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.
both threads on Talking Balls have been closed:102:

I closed the speculation thread when someone posted in it about it being confirmed, when they should have started a new thread. I was on my mobile and didn't have time to piss about starting the new thread, and I thought someone else would do it when they saw the speculation thread had been closed.

A moderator then moved the post out of the speculation thread, to create a confirmed thread. But because it was part of a closed thread, the new thread was also closed, until I noticed it and reopened it.

I closed the speculation thread when someone posted in it about it being confirmed, when they should have started a new thread. I was on my mobile and didn't have time to piss about starting the new thread, and I thought someone else would do it when they saw the speculation thread had been closed.

A moderator then moved the post out of the speculation thread, to create a confirmed thread. But because it was part of a closed thread, the new thread was also closed, until I noticed it and reopened it.
There's always an explanation!

I was reading a bit the other day about the final night there back in the early 80's. I'm too young to remember northern soul music but they occasionally play some on radio 6 (which we listen to in our office) and I really like some of it. I think it interests me because one of my old football managers appears to be some sort of industry expert on the scene, so I've taken an interest in looking into it a bit more.
I love the music and go to Northern Soul nights at least once a month and had I the money would have loved to have done both this weekend in Blackpool. Not paid until next week and all that is spoken for so I have to leave it to my son to represent the family. Still my Ross is just off to the North West from Sheffield station with his girlfriend and with his new scarf as well. Spending some of the money he earned up in Scotland. Trouble is now he has to get a proper job.
If you ever fancy going to a Northern night PPF there are plenty around, not just up here but in the East Midlands and quite a few in Nottinghamshire. This site has plenty of info of such nights in the UK http://www.soul-source.co.uk/

And this one's one of my favourite Northern tunes

Last edited by a moderator:
I was only playing this one on John's YouTube below the other night when I was playing some old P J Proby stuff. Poor old PJ he was put of real stardum by Mary Whitehouse all because he split his trousers and made young girls scream,

Well you can follow a new football team if you like as he owns Hyde FC in the conference. I saw them play a couple of times last season and they play nice football.
Didn't they lose their opening game something like 0-17463536 this season?

Didn't they lose their opening game something like 0-17463536 this season?

Pretty much yes. They are a very small team in that league and did well to stay up last year given that their budget is a lot smaller than a lot of teams they are up against.

I was only playing this one on John's YouTube below the other night when I was playing some old P J Proby stuff. Poor old PJ he was put of real stardum by Mary Whitehouse all because he split his trousers and made young girls scream,

This is off topic and I suggest you skip it unless you are interested in P J Proby.

Mary Whitehouse was malign and loathsome but this is a fantasy put forward by Proby himself. He goes further claiming Mary Whitehouse was on the front row when the split happened; as though she would attend rock concerts. The trouser splitting made headlines and there was great cynicism when it happened more than once but the P J Proby decline was sadder and less sensational.

His first problem was that he was a singer from the fifties but did not have his hits until the 1960s. He was an Elvis type when the Beatles were just beginning always a little old fashioned. His second problem was that his alcoholism made him unreliable. His contemporary Gene Vincent seemed to use his "inner demons" to electrify his performance. P J Proby could not be relied on to perform well. The music industry will forgive a lot but only provided you can be relied on to do the job on stage.

Proby is now sober and in his seventies. When he came on stage at De Montfort Hall last year I realised a little old man was going to sing rock'n'roll. In fact the voice was still rich and the stage craft was excellent and he still trotted out the nonsense about Mary Whitehouse being on the front row of the audience.,

Well, when I want some northern music from a Blackpool band, I go for this classic.

The only 'Blackpool' song I know.....

When I want some music from a good NW Leicestershire band I always go for this

"I remember how it started, round the back of Coalville market......"

"Nothing in the world like a Coalville girl....."

It's a piss take right?

:icon_wink

Wonderful explanation Jeff. Now I can spend the rest of the morning deciphering it!:017:

Absolute shambles. 1-1 today.

I started to move the 'confirmed' post to the new thread at a time when the old 'speculation' thread was still open. Not realising that Jeff was at the same time closing the old thread, I had no reason to believe that his action would cause the new thread to be closed. I did not therefore open it when the move was complete.

I hope that clears the matter up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570