bloody annoying

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKFox

I'm fed up.
I don't want to appear to be bragging but my 11 year old daughter gets all A grades and 1s for effort at school.

How the feck can she still not be able to spell simple words like future, price and still not understand the difference between bye and buy, all the variants of there etc.

Why does this not matter at school any more?
:102:

All Teachers appear to care about is statistics.

The amount of common sense that a child is taught cannot be measured, so they don't bother.

I'm fed up.
I don't want to appear to be bragging but my 11 year old daughter gets all A grades and 1s for effort at school.

How the feck can she still not be able to spell simple words like future, price and still not understand the difference between bye and buy, all the variants of there etc.

Is it cos her old man throws like a bender?

I'm fed up.

Does she read at home at all?

Only a non parent would dare try to take the blame away from the schooling system.

Every literate child reads at home.

Even if it is only the racetrack options on MarioKart.

Only a non parent would dare try to take the blame away from the schooling system.

Every literate child reads at home.

I wasn't taking it away from the teachers, standards of teachers in some schools are appaling. But spelling of what would be less used words for an 11 year old would IMO be developed by reading books at home.

Any every literate child does not read at home, I have friends who have never read an "adult" book all the way through, they hate reading. Passive reading is not the same.

I wasn't taking it away from the teachers, standards of teachers in some schools are appaling. But spelling of what would be less used words for an 11 year old would IMO be developed by reading books at home.

Any every literate child does not read at home, I have friends who have never read an "adult" book all the way through, they hate reading. Passive reading is not the same.
Passive reading is probably more educational than sitting there reading a totally uninteresting piece of shite.

I agree with you, reading at home can only boost their education, but it has to be something they're interested in. I'd rather my kids read the Argos book than just staring at pages of words that mean nothing to them.

Passive reading is probably more educational than sitting there reading a totally uninteresting piece of shite.

I agree with you, reading at home can only boost their education, but it has to be something they're interested in. I'd rather my kids read the Argos book than just staring at pages of words that mean nothing to them.

I agree completely. One of my cousins just doesn't read. He's 9 (I think) and just plays on his PSP and PS3 at home. Whilst this will teach him words in a menu context, it doesn't teach proper sentence structure and the use of words in a real context.

I'm agreeing with you BTW, so I was just curious whether MKs daughter reads.

That's an argument I used to have with my mum as a kid. She kept banging on at me to read books like Lord of the Flies etc. but I wasn't interested at all in books like that so spent my time reading Beano and Match magazine. "That's not the same" she would say.....:102:

I agree completely. One of my cousins just doesn't read. He's 9 (I think) and just plays on his PSP and PS3 at home. Whilst this will teach him words in a menu context, it doesn't teach proper sentence structure and the use of words in a real context.

Regardless of that, the point being made is that if MK's daughter does make common mistakes like the ones listed then why the feck isn't it being picked up at school ?

I don't think I am fully qualified to teach my kids sentence structure to a proper level, that is the school's job.

But yes, kids and parent must accept some responsibility. It pains me to say so but MK is a decent person and I doubt he neglects his duties (not in this dept anyway).

Gonna wash my mouth out now.

Regardless of that, the point being made is that if MK's daughter does make common mistakes like the ones listed then why the feck isn't it being picked up at school ?

I can't answer that. I don't whether words like that are on the curriculum or if she is using them at school to be picked up on? Or the teachers can't be arsed.

I don't think I am fully qualified to teach my kids sentence structure to a proper level, that is the school's job.

But yes, kids and parent must accept some responsibility. It pains me to say so but MK is a decent person and I doubt he neglects his duties (not in this dept anyway).

Gonna wash my mouth out now.

We can't make that assumption about him, after seeing him at the 5-a-side I would have had him down as a responsible parent when it came to teaching his kids to throw, after his recent debacle I am beginning to doubt that as well.

Last edited:
All Teachers appear to care about is statistics.

The amount of common sense that a child is taught cannot be measured, so they don't bother.

Bit of a sweeping generalisation that Melto.

I'd also say that in modern culture there are many examples of poor use of the English language. I have to be very careful typing this as I know any mistake will be spotted and ridicule will ensue.

One example is in football. Many teams have their players names written entirely in lower case - Chelsea being a prime example. I'd imagine many childen watch Chelsea and passively 'learn' that people's names do not need to begin with a capital letter.

On a similar note it drives my missus mad when kids in her class don't use capital letters in the correct place. I tried to explain that the current trend is towards txt spk and capitals are dropped all the time on web pages, in particular with company names.

Edit: Or what Joe just said

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48