Broadband

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willlow

Can anybody recommend any good broadband packages?

Im not too bothered about how much I am allowed to download, Im just looking for something that is quick and cheap.

If you edit this you are cok licking queen!

Im not too bothered about how much I am allowed to download, Im just looking for something that is quick and cheap.

I use BT, never had a problem (fingers crossed) think they came top of Watchdogs big Broadband investigation too.

don't use sky. we have just got sorted in the last couple of weeks. we should have gone live in November......

I would say Virgin but I think you will be able to get a cheaper service than their basic if you are looking for the cheapest possible service. I have never experienced any problems in the 5+ years I have had NTL/Virgin broadband and I think their are no download limits.

EDIT - Just had a look at their website and it would not be worth it unless you already have a Virgin phone line. It says you need one even though the internet is received through fibre optic cables rather than your phone line like most other providers, also I have had it for the past two years without a phone line so it might be worth a call to see what they can do.

Last edited:

enter your phone number or postcode in this site & it will list all of the offers available for you.

BT is the best because if it goes wrong, you can contact them directly to fix the problem. You won't beleive the amount of time and money I spent getting wanadoo to contact BT about our line problem! We cancelled out contract and switched to BT, they sent an engineer out in the next few days!

don't use sky. we have just got sorted in the last couple of weeks. we should have gone live in November......

Too right. Sky are shite.

Id need about 15 hands to count the number of problems we've had since switching to them. And we only changed from BT to Sky about 6 months ago!

BT is the best because if it goes wrong, you can contact them directly to fix the problem. You won't beleive the amount of time and money I spent getting wanadoo to contact BT about our line problem! We cancelled out contract and switched to BT, they sent an engineer out in the next few days!

That is more to do with Wanadoo being incompetent than anything else.
Even though you are now getting your broadband from BT, for them to arrange for an engineer to call out still involves 3 separate companies, exactly the same as if you were still with Wanadoo.

AOL does the job, if I have a problem (which i have only ever had once) then they are quick and reliable, pay a bit extra but the service is good enough for us.

Last edited:
AOL does the job, if I have a problem (which i have only ever had once) then they are quick and reliable, pay a bit extra but the service is good enough for us.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I get more problems sent to our IT Support dept related to AOL than any other ISP.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I get more problems sent to our IT Support dept related to AOL than any other ISP.

What type of problems have you had?

As a broadband provider, AOL have been consistently highly ranked for service & customer satisfaction.

That is more to do with Wanadoo being incompetent than anything else.
Even though you are now getting your broadband from BT, for them to arrange for an engineer to call out still involves 3 separate companies, exactly the same as if you were still with Wanadoo.

They were pretty incompetent, but when I was served by Wanadoo everything they did had to be checked by BT. So if they wanted to do a line test they had to send a message to BT, BT would do the line test, and Wanadoo would have to wait for a message back from BT, which took much longer than when BT did it directly.

They were pretty incompetent, but when I was served by Wanadoo everything they did had to be checked by BT. So if they wanted to do a line test they had to send a message to BT, BT would do the line test, and Wanadoo would have to wait for a message back from BT, which took much longer than when BT did it directly.

Wanadoo lied to you Joe, there is absolutely no way that they would have to be sending messages backwards & forwards to BT to run line tests, it just doesn't work like that.
They lied to you, end of.

The company that you buy your broadband from, BT retail, are buying that broadband from another entirely seperate company, BT wholesale. Which is exactly the same for Wanadoo, they were buying the broadband from BT wholesale & reselling it to you.
There are very strict, definite procedures in place for identifying & escalating faulty lines and they are the same for all companies, there is no preferential treatment.

It is quite possible for any ISP to identify & progress a fault to the point of arranging an engineer appointment within a few hours, as you have discovered with BT.
That engineer, by the way, doesn't work for BT retail or BT wholesale, he works for another completely separate company, Openreach.

talk talk is free if ya switch to there phone but not recommended. I think the service is shit although ya get unlimited downloads its 1mb speed and was promised 8mb by january still not got it though.

talk talk is free if ya switch to there phone but not recommended. I think the service is shit although ya get unlimited downloads its 1mb speed and was promised 8mb by january still not got it though.

It's possible that your line may only be able to handle 1Mb, this is nothing to do with which ISP you use.
Nobody should have promised you 8Mb because there is a very high probability that your phone line physically can't maintain that speed.

What type of problems have you had?

As a broadband provider, AOL have been consistently highly ranked for service & customer satisfaction.

All sorts of compatibility issues with some of the school systems we run which simply don't exist when connecting via other providers. AOL has insisted on filtering any email that is sent via our broadband provider (which account for Northants, Lincs, Leics, Notts and Derbs) as spam.

It's possible that your line may only be able to handle 1Mb, this is nothing to do with which ISP you use.
Nobody should have promised you 8Mb because there is a very high probability that your phone line physically can't maintain that speed.

my area has just been upgraded to 1mb from 1/2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669