Broadband

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you use This Site

you can enter your phone number and it will give you an indication of the speed that your line can handle.

It's possible that your line may only be able to handle 1Mb, this is nothing to do with which ISP you use.
Nobody should have promised you 8Mb because there is a very high probability that your phone line physically can't maintain that speed.

the twats did and when i ring to complain i get sent to bangledesh and speak to people that speaky no english

That is the exact reason why you should have a DSL connection instead of an ADSL. ;)

the twats did and when i ring to complain i get sent to bangledesh and speak to people that speaky no english

If they can't speak English, how do you know it is Bangladeash?

That is the exact reason why you should have a DSL connection instead of an ADSL. ;)

:102:

ADSL is DSL, it's the same thing.
The 'A' in ADSL just stands for asynchronous, meaning that the downstream and upstream rates are different.

Isn't one delivered through a phone line and one delivered through independant cables? :102:

Are you trying to say that my NTL/Virgin Media 10 meg connection can upload at the same speed it downloads at?

Isn't one delivered through a phone line and one delivered through independant cables? :102:

Are you trying to say that my NTL/Virgin Media 10 meg connection can upload at the same speed it downloads at?

No, I wasn't trying to say that at all. :icon_conf

DSL is broadband delivered through a phoneline, cable broadband is a completely different technology.

No, I wasn't trying to say that at all. :icon_conf

DSL is broadband delivered through a phoneline, cable broadband is a completely different technology.

What do you mean then when you say that the upstream and downstream rates of ADSL can be different, what are these?

Also, how come I have to buy a DSL router for cable broadband and what is the difference between cable and ADSL/DSL. That is the reason why I presumed cable was a DSL connection as most other mainstream providers provide the internet through a phone line.

I have ADSL at home and DSL at work, both are delivered via a phone line.

The (main) reason for the A, is that data sent TO the Internet, is generally smaller (requests for web pages, text based emails etc), and therefore requires less bandwidth, so runs at a lower speed (256k), whereas data coming to you FROM the Internet requires much more space, video, file downlaods, digital broadcasting, rich web content etc etc so therefore runs at a much faster speed, 1, 2 8, 100 meg, hence the asynchronous (sp?).

DSL however, operates at the same speed each way and is more suited to establishments that are hosting their own web servers and such like and so require as much bandwidth out as the do in.

Both can be delivered via a phone line or a dedicated link (cable etc).

Apologies if someone's grndma now knows how to suck eggs, but there are possibly some folks who may find this useful.

What do you mean then when you say that the upstream and downstream rates of ADSL can be different, what are these?

DSL delivers broadband through a copper wire telephone line, ADSL is a type of DSL that has a higher downstream rate than the upstream because, as SJN has already said, most users won't require a particularly fast upstream.

Also, how come I have to buy a DSL router for cable broadband and what is the difference between cable and ADSL/DSL. That is the reason why I presumed cable was a DSL connection as most other mainstream providers provide the internet through a phone line.

The modem built into most domestic routers can be configured to connect to both DSL & cable connections.

Cheers guys, learn something all the time.

So is my Virgin Media a ADSL or DSL connection then, or just a cable connection?

Last edited:
My sister ordered it last year, after about 4 months it still wasn't connected and after loads of buck passing between Sky and BT she finally cancelled it. Then Sky sent her a bill :icon_roll

Sounds good!

Have got sky phoning me tonight to discuss switching to them. I have ntl (virgin media) at the moment paying 25 quid a month for problem free service at 4MB. Should i switch to sky and pay 10 quid a month. What do people reckon?

Have got sky phoning me tonight to discuss switching to them. I have ntl (virgin media) at the moment paying 25 quid a month for problem free service at 4MB. Should i switch to sky and pay 10 quid a month. What do people reckon?

It depends, do you like having the internet? If so I wouldn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673