Post Match Burnley 1 Leicester 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Burnley were the worst possible team we could have played with our current injuries. They are very well organised and love to spoil any rhythm in the game so it was always going to be difficult with our most creative players out. And you know they will keep hitting their forward players quickly bypass the midfield press and work the defence which was worrying with a makeshift defence.

Brighton will be totally different, they will be a bit more expansive and try to play through midfield, so if we have the energy to press we should be able to dominate the game.

Nobody has turned on him at all. Some of us think he should have been replaced rather than Iheanacho, that's all. I thought he was better too, tonight for what it's worth but it was still stupid to take off Nacho instead of Vardy.
He should have kept them both on the pitch what was the issue with Fofana I take he just was not fit enough to do 90 mins? 3-5-2 is the way ahead with our current availability IMO.

Vardy never got a real chance but it seem people are turning on him now, I actually thought he looked a little more like himself tonight in terms of his movement and the runs he made
I think that "turning on him" reflects more of a concern than criticism.

He's coming back from an injury and isn't back to the Vardy we know... yet. And that 'yet' is where the concern comes in. In the back of may peoples minds (e.g.mine) is that he won't run forever, and we're getting closer to the day he hangs up his boots. That's a concerning thought given all Vardy had done for us, given to us, represents for us. If there ever was a talisman, Vardy is ours.

He did have a good game last night, and did look to fit into the adjusted shape. I recall a number of occasions where he took the ball and was looking for Nacho. He wasn't the usual lone striker, the forward runner, he was looking for his striking partner.

Even so, given he really could do with a bit of break whenever it is practicable, and Kelechi was having one of his better/best games for us, I thought it was an opportunity to give Vardy some rest. It was a substitution I didn't understand.

I would have hooked Hamza and Vardy, for Fofana and Tavares. I think the tactical shift of Ndid back to midfield was right (not least to give Fofana some game time) and given Tavares the responsibility/opportunity (at no. 10) to show he can play as well as it seems he thinks he can. There'd be a defensive midfield behind him in the event he did get overwhelmed.

Subbing Kelechi though, nah, I reckon that risks damaging his confidence. He scored a brilliant goal, was having an excellent game... he must be wondering what he's got to do, what Vardy has on BR. And, as I say, Vardy is apparently being overplayed at the moment, after his op.

Last edited:
He did have a good game last night, and did look to fit into the adjusted shape. I recall a number of occasions where he took the ball and was looking for Nacho. He wasn't the usual lone striker, the forward runner, he was looking for his striking partner.
Agreed, and without his movement Kelechi wouldn't have had the space to rifle that volley in.

Which, by the way, some goal

Jeff made the point that Vardy may have stayed on because of his ability to defend set pieces.

I think that this could have been key. The Burnley threat was aerial. Vardy does clear a lot of the corners. I'd certainly trust Vardy defensively more than Iheanacho.

If there was little in it which one stayed on from an attacking perspective, maybe this was what made his mind up.

Wherever we finish this season the biggest lesson that we should take is that the quality of the second string 11 is not good enough. Particularly when we play in Europe too.
Nacho, hamza, amartey, perez, under, morgan need replacing with better quality. I doubt any of them would get into any premiership team outside the bottom 3.

To be honest, we knew that well in advance of this season. We also knew it in January. We didn't address at either opportunity.

Just watching the game again, did anyone else think the tackle on Tielemans was a penalty in the tenth minute, seemed to get tagged by Mee

Just watching the game again, did anyone else think the tackle on Tielemans was a penalty in the tenth minute, seemed to get tagged by Mee
Had two hands on Tielemans and pushed him over was a peno for me, not sure why it wasnt protested more.

I must admit that I thought it was, I thought it was a clear shove. The fact that there wasn't vociferous complaint nor mention of a var check made me think I must have seen it all wrong. Maybe the ref thought Tielemens was going nowhere, or looking for it, or whatever. Dunno.

You watched that match twice? Seriously?

No, didn’t realise it was on this afternoon switched on Sky and there it was the tackle and apart from Tielemans nobody mentioned it and on second look was a definite push, didn’t appear to have gone to VAR, now watching Rory Mcilroy in the golf, just before I drop off sleep

Would put it in the “seen them given, but would have been incredibly soft” category.

I must admit that I thought it was, I thought it was a clear shove. The fact that there wasn't vociferous complaint nor mention of a var check made me think I must have seen it all wrong. Maybe the ref thought Tielemens was going nowhere, or looking for it, or whatever. Dunno.
Yes, we thought it was a clear penalty, no doubt about it. I've long thought as a team we are too soft and not vociferous enough on these occasions.

Other teams would have been screaming blue murder. We just look at the ref like a forlorn puppy and roll over to have our bellies tickled. Time after time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757