Burnley Pre-Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
highland fox said:
What I don't understand that if RK is intent on playing 4-4-2 with two wingers then why didn't he get 2 in instead of what he did.He knew he had a problem on the left when he got Welsh in on loan but then didn't fill the position close season.Ok he got Low but he decided he wasn't worthy of a place on the bench today...strange indeed.
We are extremely short of options on the left yet he didn't get one left footed player in.

Very true. I'm hoping that their might just be enough left to get a proper winger (preferably left sided) in on loan, but I think the FT said that we are already over budget and the release of Gerrbrand and Hammill only helped to get us closer back to our budget.

To be honest I think we're just stuck with 4-4-2 with the players we've got, and all we can really do is hope that they adjust to the roles that they should be playing and we can improve and move on with what we've got.

As I've said before, I don't want to write us off yet because it's stupid to do so after one game, but this season could be another long depressing slog yet again.
The annoying thing is we have decent players, just missing some vital positions. If we could just get 1 decent winger for example, it could improve us so much.

And as for Plan B, personally I think RK made the right subs at the right time today really. I would've done the same... although I would've had O'Grady central and Hammond on the right... couldn't work out why O'Grady stayed out wide.

Graz said:
And as for Plan B, personally I think RK made the right subs at the right time today really. I would've done the same... although I would've had O'Grady central and Hammond on the right... couldn't work out why O'Grady stayed out wide.

Don't agree, it was clearly obvious that Stearman and Johansson were having absolutley mares, I would have moved both Tiatto and Maybury back to full backs as I felt both we playing better than the full backs and they would have at least given support out wide.

I would have gone to a 3 man midfield with Hughes, Williams and Johnson and given Hughes and Williams instruction to bomb on and really have a go at the Luton penalty box.

And I would have stuck O' Grady up top through the middle and had Hammond and Fryatt feeding off him.

It was clearly not working with 4-4-2 and so to stick to the same formation and sub the non existent wingers and replace them with non existent wingers meant that we pretty much stayed in the same lucklustre mold. Surely changing tactics would have enabled us to get at Luton and make them have to rethink and it could have unsettled them.

highland fox said:
I don't think we should be attempting to play with wingers because it seems we have no left winger and our right ones don't appear good enough unless Low's pre season form is misleading.However i think Rk will persevere with 4-4-2

He is only one a one year rolling contract. :icon_wink ;)

Graz said:
Very true. I'm hoping that their might just be enough left to get a proper winger (preferably left sided) in on loan, but I think the FT said that we are already over budget and the release of Gerrbrand and Hammill only helped to get us closer back to our budget.

To be honest I think we're just stuck with 4-4-2 with the players we've got, and all we can really do is hope that they adjust to the roles that they should be playing and we can improve and move on with what we've got.

As I've said before, I don't want to write us off yet because it's stupid to do so after one game, but this season could be another long depressing slog yet again.
The annoying thing is we have decent players, just missing some vital positions. If we could just get 1 decent winger for example, it could improve us so much.

I suppose our budget would be the same in Div 1 as it is in the Fizzy and financially the differences between the Fizzy and Div 1 are not as great as those between the Prem. and the Fizzy because with more performances like that and sticking with the same game plan is a sure way of heading into Div. 1. :icon_sad:

Drop Stearman, replace with Kenton.

Or

Here's a suggestion how about 5-3-2 with the wing-backs of Maybury/Stearman and Tiatto/MaCulay.

3 midfielders could be Williams, Johnson, Hughes.

But I doubt formation changes with a game just three days away. I expect to see City in training tomorrow morning.

McAuely is supposedly the slowest player in the squad, so I don't think playing him left back is a good option. Kenton on the other hand... and we might have a decent formation.

Like you though, I feel RK won't change so early.

I think RK does know what his best side is, or at least how he thinks it is, and it's what we started with today other than Kisnorbo in place of Kenton.

I don't know why you'd suggest RK doesn't know his team, he seems to to me... The problem is that it seems that team just isn't good enough.

Graz said:
I think RK does know what his best side is, or at least how he thinks it is, and it's what we started with today other than Kisnorbo in place of Kenton.

I don't know why you'd suggest RK doesn't know his team, he seems to to me... The problem is that it seems that team just isn't good enough.

That's what my Dad seems to think, he says the players put the effort in but they are just not good enough. They can not read the game correctly.

Most of our best performances last season came when Weso was playing e.g. QPR & brighton. Might perk things up a bit.

Also we could use the tactic of playing Levi Porter on the left .... he's a natural left winger and could fool the opposition in to thinking no one was there or that he was stood such a long way away that there was no danger

Anything rather than Tiatto, who actually is a long way away as he's so slow

webmaster said:
Brighton?

That was one of the worst performances of the season!
Maybe you left after 5 minutes :icon_conf

Agreed, Amazing first five minutes then 85 minutes of defending. Plus Wesolowski didn't play much of this match as he broke his leg in it.

pds said:
He missed the last match of last season aswell though.

He got a THREE match ban for serious foul play. He missed the games against Plymouth and Southampton at the end of last season and today's game at Luton. He will therefore be available for selection on Tuesday.

newtonfox said:
looking back at pre-season now ,it seems RK still dont know his best team IMO

I can't agree - I'm sure RK does know his best team and he played all those of them who were available today. The fact is that the players just didn't play and they let down RK and the fans.

Pre-season isn't about playing your best 11. It's about getting some match fitness, tryiing soem diffrtrnt things and playing combinations that are bound to be called upon sometime within the tough season to folllow.

Last edited:
bocadillo said:
I can't agree - I'm sure RK does know his best team and he played all those of them who were available today. The fact is that the players just didn't play and they let down RK and the fans.

Pre-season isn't about playing your best 11. It's about getting some match fitness, tryiing soem diffrtrnt things and playing combinations that are bound to be called upon sometime within the tough season to folllow.
Definitely agree with you, the players didn't turn up. RK knows his best 11 but they have got to play to justify his faith in them. Yet again we lose when the cameras are there and a funny time kick off. I'd rather have the points than the money that it brings in.

Last edited:
newtonfox said:
looking back at pre-season now ,it seems RK still dont know his best team IMO ,he change players for most of the games they have not had time to work as a team as of yet

I didn't see the Luton game so didn't comment - but I am unfortunate enough to be going to the Burnley match.

I think expectations have once again been unrealistic.

I don't think that RK has enough good players to form an established 'best side'. The club is clearly stoney broke and he is having to make do.

The main criticism I have - given his very difficult circumstances - is the way he hailed the re-signing of the hapless Tiatto as a positive.

The fact is that all this is the long term fall out from the impact of administration and that we don't have people running the club who are able/ prepared to put in any money. Clearly there are a stack of other clubs in the division with much better resources and much better squads. So RK has a good job, decent pay but a bit of an unenviable task.

Redditch Fox said:
I think expectations have once again been unrealistic
In principal Redditch I agree with what you are saying, my expectations have been seriously reconsidered.

However, it really was that bad, that the doom and gloomers didn't even see it coming.

Everybody, and I mean everybody, expected more than what was served up yesterday

I agree Melts, also Redditch we looked unfit, under prepared, off the pace and unmotivated and that has nothing to do with our financial circumstances, whilst RK has got a tough task ahead of him in terms of working within the financial constraints of the club, he is responsible for the preperation, fitness, performance and commitment levels shown by the players, and sadly all of these were very sadly lacking.

It isn't the result that concerns me, it was the nature of the performance and the fact RK seemed unable to have any positive impact at half time. It was the first game of the season and on television, how much motivation do these fecking players need.

And I am fed up with hearing criticism about fans expectations, I pay good money and a lot of money following Leicester and I am sorry but I expect to see a team giving 100% commitment, trying to entertain and showing respect to the badge and loyal supporters.

All this was sadly lacking yesterday and yet the club still expect the fans to turn up week in and week out. The fans are not the fcuking problem and it is about time that club started to realise it's own responsibility, the relationship between club and supporter is a two way street.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570