Match Thread Cambridge v Leicester - PSF

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as they were playing in their correct positions then it's all good.
Seemed to be playing a 433 so all where you’d expect, Hamza going more box to box, against weaker sides having Silva deep might be more beneficial than Wilf or Hamza.

I thought the issue with Silva was that he wanted to leave. He's not going to be starting every match if he stays and I thought that was his gripe.

I thought our performance was excellent.

The attitude, passing and tempo were all very impressive for this stage of preseason. Cambridge defended really well.

The only thing missing was exactly as Rodgers has identified. The wastefulness of our creative players, in particular Gray, Ghezzal, Barnes and Albrighton. All got into good positions with some decent approach play last night, and all continually failed to deliver. Yes, Barnes set up Iheanacho well but he should have had a couple of goals at least. He has to improve his finishing.

I think Albrighton has to be back up to Maddison or Tielemans centrally. He can't deliver enough in the attacking wide positions but his energy and cleverness are important attributes.

Oh, and I thought Soyuncu was our best defender. Composed, classy and spot on in his decision making.

Agree with most of that. Also thought Justin James looked a very capable replacement for Ricardo when he came on.

It was a big risk letting him play, I would have purchased an expensive replacement for the big hairy duffer bastard.
Yes. That's exactly the same as a whole season without Maguire (who was also playing yesterday). Excellent point.... Yawn.

Yes. That's exactly the same as a whole season without Maguire (who was also playing yesterday). Excellent point.... Yawn.

Cheer up

Have some faith in our good young players, it's fun.

If this lad turns out to be decent we don't need the replacement, that is exactly the point.

If this lad turns out to be decent we don't need the replacement, that is exactly the point.
Absolutely agree. But a decent performance against Cambridge is hardly a good enough marker.

If the transfer window closed at the end of August, I’d advocate we start with him the first few games and see what happens. But with the change, half a season to the January transfer window is too much to gamble.

Cheer up

Have some faith in our good young players, it's fun.

I have faith in the players as I have said numerous times. It's not about a lack of faith or any other such nonsense. It's is about being prepared, especially given the short transfer window. The lad played well against Cambridge but he was dire in his previous outing. Should we use that as a paradigm instead? I've no idea how good Soyuncu will be and neither have you, the difference is that I would like any potential shortfall to be addressed in the simplest way and that would be with proven quality in a position where we have lost a superb player, should this happen.

All this 'lack of faith' and 'disparaging our players' rubbish is boring now. It's not that at all. It is simply a case of preparation for what could be a very successful season if we plan correctly.

The lad played well against Cambridge but he was dire in his previous outing.

He wasn't dire at all, it's this growing hyperbolic criticism of players that doesn't help when trying to get new / young players ready for 1st team football.

Spunking lots of money on another player who will have had less time to adapt to our teams style, and also has no guarantee of being as good as Maguire isn't being prepared.

Getting the players we do have up to speed (what we are doing) is good preparation for a successful season.

Finished like a striker. Choudhury always looks composed on the ball.
Nothing to do with the game, but when Choudhury was making his way to be in front of us before doing his stretching warm-up routine, he spent a good few minutes signing kid's programmes as he made his way along the main stand - nice touch, he didn't have to do that.

He wasn't dire at all, it's this growing hyperbolic criticism of players that doesn't help when trying to get new / young players ready for 1st team football.

Spunking lots of money on another player who will have had less time to adapt to our teams style, and also has no guarantee of being as good as Maguire isn't being prepared.

Getting the players we do have up to speed (what we are doing) is good preparation for a successful season.
He was dire. That's not hyperbole, he really was rubbish. I mean, everything is relative I suppose so compared to you or I he was terrific but as a PL CB against mediocre opposition, he looked a semitone less than useless. He was much, much better yesterday however and showed some lovely touches on the ball. He also led the line well when called upon. I'm hopeful he will develop into a very good player but that still doesn't mean I want to go into next season with 4 CBs, two of which have little to no PL experience and two that will not be able to manage the full program of matches.

It might all be irrelevant anyway if Maguire stays and with each passing day this becomes more of a possibility.

He was dire. That's not hyperbole, he really was rubbish. I mean, everything is relative I suppose so compared to you or I he was terrific but as a PL CB against mediocre opposition, he looked a semitone less than useless. He was much, much better yesterday however and showed some lovely touches on the ball. He also led the line well when called upon. I'm hopeful he will develop into a very good player but that still doesn't mean I want to go into next season with 4 CBs, two of which have little to no PL experience and two that will not be able to manage the full program of matches.

It might all be irrelevant anyway if Maguire stays and with each passing day this becomes more of a possibility.
He wasn't dire at all. Neither was Ghezzal last night, another one about whom you have always been disparaging.
I noticed you quickly changed your tune during the game compared to your pre-match negativity about them.
For goodness sake let's give players a chance without writing them off instantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363