Carlisle - 13th December

Status
Not open for further replies.
May I ask what is your aim? And how much did that little lot cast you? Does NatExp have FunFares on the legs between Glasgow and Carlisle?

Funnily enough, I was looking at the possibility of flying from Stansted to Glasgow in the early stages of the planning of travel to this game.

I'm pleased that there's not only me who doesn't want the kick-off time to be changed.
:icon_wink

My aim is to make the Search for Franck interesting :icon_bigg

3. Glasgow to Carlisle, then return via same National Express (return departs Carlisle 17.55)

Did you know the standard walk up train fare from Glasgow to Carlisle is cheaper than the coach, and is quicker, unless you get one that goes the long way round via Kilmarnock?

I would only use the coach if it was much cheaper or much quicker.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone's mentioned driving directions for this yet.

The ground is dead easy to find. Leave the M6 at junction 43 and head towards Carlisle on the A69. The ground is on the right after a mile. Location of the ground

There's a cheap official car park at the ground, to find it continue driving past the ground, then turn right at the traffic lights, then first right. The car park is at the end of the road on the right.

The AA route planner says the quickest route is to take the M69 to the M6, and use the M6 toll. Total 235 miles.
You might find the M1 then A50 to the M6 is just as quick, if you don't mind going through Stoke. This way is 213 miles.

I've tried lots of different routes for this journey, mainly because nearly every time I go on the M6 there are delays caused by accidents or roadworks, until it gets less busy north of Preston.
My preferred route avoiding this part of the M6 is to go up the M1 until it joins the A1, then take the A1 to Scotch Corner, then the A66 until it joins the M6 at Penrith. This route is 220 miles.

For sat nav the postcode of the ground is CA1 1LL

Did you know the standard walk up train fare from Glasgow to Carlisle is cheaper than the coach, and is quicker, unless you get one that goes the long way round via Kilmarnock?

I would only use the coach if it was much cheaper or much quicker.

I find I don't get as many interesting stories travelling by train, although if it's a lot cheaper I'll go by rail. Part of my Swindon trip is by rail, simply because it's extremely cheap.

As promised i'm going to time how long it takes to walk from the ground to the station.

Just setting off from the away end now.

Can we have a Vbet on the outcome ?

So .. 18 minutes.

The last train is at 17.15pm, so is achievable!

As long as there's not much stoppage time.

It was closer to 19 minutes, and I started from the away terrace exit, rather than the seats.
I'm don't know if the terrace will be open when we play there, but as I'd already gone beyond the part of the stadium that's normally open to the public and the groundsman had given me a funny look I decided not to go any further. So I'd add another minute or two to my time if you're in the seats.

I timed it to the nearest platform to the station entrance, which is normally the one used by Virgin trains going south. But there is a chance it could be across the bridge, so add another possible minute for that.

I walked at a decent pace, but I could have gone faster and I'm sure most others could too if the alternative was to share a hotel room with Boc...

It was closer to 19 minutes, and I started from the away terrace exit, rather than the seats.
I'm don't know if the terrace will be open when we play there, but as I'd already gone beyond the part of the stadium that's normally open to the public and the groundsman had given me a funny look I decided not to go any further. So I'd add another minute or two to my time if you're in the seats.

I timed it to the nearest platform to the station entrance, which is normally the one used by Virgin trains going south. But there is a chance it could be across the bridge, so add another possible minute for that.

I walked at a decent pace, but I could have gone faster and I'm sure most others could too if the alternative was to share a hotel room with Boc...

Boc doesn't have a hotel booking :icon_wink

I do, and to get those tongues going, yes he's sharing :007:

My phone battery died so I couldn't post again until I got home. I felt more knackered after battling my way round Morrisons on the way home :098:

How many £4 tubs of chocs did you buy ??

Didn't quite have the neccessary acceleration to overtake that old woman laden with shopping then webbo ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669