Championship 18/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
A moment of madness is just that.

****ing hell, his rent-a-lawyer has got you hook line and sinker my old mate.

A moment of madness? **** off, that's the pathetic little line he's been fed by his slimey suit to fool people like you into thinking he's just a normal chap with too much pashun.

He's a right ****, his smiling and gesturing afterwards should have warranted a further 6 months.

He should also have to go face to face with the lad he cowardly smacked from behind and apologise.

I had plenty of anger at one stage in my life, I probably displayed too much of it at football matches, but what he did is not something to be swept under the carpet as a mere 'moment of madness'

Do you think 14 weeks or 6 months is a deterrent in such circumstances? I don't. A moment of madness is just that.
He doesn’t need deterring, he is as thick as pig shit, the only thing he understands is that if you do something wrong you get punished.

The longer he is punished, the longer the rest of society is safe from his (no doubt) drink fuelled ‘moments of madness’.

He doesn’t need deterring, he is as thick as pig shit, the only thing he understands is that if you do something wrong you get punished.

The longer he is punished, the longer the rest of society is safe from his (no doubt) drink fuelled ‘moments of madness’.

His main punishment appears to be having his address published and his pregnant wife and child threatened.

Cantona did far worse (the other way round) and got community service.

It was a minor common assault and really not worthy of the sentence or the massive over reaction.

There was more than a little provocation in the Cantona incident; Grealish was simply and calmly going about his lawful business.

That's not to say however that I don't think Cantona got away lightly.

His main punishment appears to be having his address published and his pregnant wife and child threatened.

It was a minor common assault and really not worthy of the sentence or the massive over reaction.
I very much doubt you’d think the same if someone came behind you at work and clobbered you in the head.

I agree about the Cantona incident and I was amazed at the time he got off so lightly.

However, if you don't understand why football related violence attracts a higher tariff in the courts than common assault, then I suggest you do some research. An incident of this nature could well have sparked a full scale running battle in the stands with children being injured or worse. Especially at a game like this between two fierce local rivals.

As someone who witnessed it week in and week out in the 70s I can tell you that today, without the fences, it would be carnage. And it's creeping back into the game. It needs stamping on. Only thing these bell ends understand is strong treatment. The knife thing is irrelevant. A single punch can kill as well.

The only moment of madness involved was when his missus let him father her child.

I agree about the Cantona incident and I was amazed at the time he got off so lightly.

However, if you don't understand why football related violence attracts a higher tariff in the courts than common assault, then I suggest you do some research. An incident of this nature could well have sparked a full scale running battle in the stands with children being injured or worse. Especially at a game like this between two fierce local rivals.

As someone who witnessed it week in and week out in the 70s I can tell you that today, without the fences, it would be carnage. And it's creeping back into the game. It needs stamping on. Only thing these bell ends understand is strong treatment. The knife thing is irrelevant. A single punch can kill as well.

The only moment of madness involved was when his missus let him father her child.

I do know a bit about the topic of football violence. I worked as a steward in the away end at Filbert St for 5 years, at a time when violence was common. I did my thesis on the subject as well, talking to police officers and fans who'd been involved in trouble.

By far the best deterrent is not showing it or talking about it. That is the usual approach of the media. Highlighting it will just encourage like-minded fools. These people will not be deterred by this sentence or the condemnation of the football in crowd.

The way that this has been handled will have exactly the opposite effect to the one you all want. For example, as social media was in full meltdown about the Grealish incident on Sunday afternoon, another fan went on the pitch at the Emirates.

I do know a bit about the topic of football violence. I worked as a steward in the away end at Filbert St for 5 years, at a time when violence was common. I did my thesis on the subject as well, talking to police officers and fans who'd been involved in trouble.

By far the best deterrent is not showing it or talking about it. That is the usual approach of the media. Highlighting it will just encourage like-minded fools. These people will not be deterred by this sentence or the condemnation of the football in crowd.

The way that this has been handled will have exactly the opposite effect to the one you all want. For example, as social media was in full meltdown about the Grealish incident on Sunday afternoon, another fan went on the pitch at the Emirates.
I get what you’re saying, BN, but to be fair at the time you’d have been a steward or doing your thesis, it would have been a lot easier to just “not show it or talk about it”.

The explosion of football on tv and the emergence of social media has made that unrealistic, these days.

I also studied it as part of my education, although more in the context of the introduction of all seater stadia.

I get what you’re saying, BN, but to be fair at the time you’d have been a steward or doing your thesis, it would have been a lot easier to just “not show it or talk about it”.

The explosion of football on tv and the emergence of social media has made that unrealistic, these days.

I also studied it as part of my education, although more in the context of the introduction of all seater stadia.

Yes, I do accept that. The world has changed somewhat. Keeping it quiet would have been impossible. However, we've chosen to do the opposite and comment on it across all media, with multiple players etc. highlighting it as well. It's this that I think is ill judged.

I'd be interested in your view PPF. What do you think the right approach should have been?

Yes, I do accept that. The world has changed somewhat. Keeping it quiet would have been impossible. However, we've chosen to do the opposite and comment on it across all media, with multiple players etc. highlighting it as well. It's this that I think is ill judged.

I'd be interested in your view PPF. What do you think the right approach should have been?
I think that I am incapable of understanding the mind of someone who deems that to be an appropriate action. Even in a "moment of madness", doing what he did wouldn't even enter my head, therefore I'm not sure that something that would be a punishment/deterrent to me, would resonate with him.

I think a stadium ban will affect him more than a prison sentence and I'm wary of jailing people too easily, unless all other avenues have been tried first, so I would probably have gone for a large community order and tried to ensure it was a fairly mundane/humiliating task that he was given. If he genuinely has been a season ticket holder for 20 years (according to one report I read) and he is unable to attend again, I would imagine that would be a punishment he would recognise.

Unfortunately, that won't necessarily resonate with other people. I think this is a move to try to deter other people from doing similar and they have deemed this to be what will do that the best. It feels like a sentence for the masses, not necessarily the individual, but I'm not a magistrate so they will in theory know, better than I do, what they are trying to do.

So you advocate sweeping it under the carpet?

Here's someone else who thinks that's a good approach....

I think a stadium ban will affect him more than a prison sentence

The punishment for the fan has been well reported and discussed. Anybody else wondering what happened to the steward who the police dragged out after he was seen assaulting Freakish during the goal celebration?

The punishment for the fan has been well reported and discussed. Anybody else wondering what happened to the steward who the police dragged out after he was seen assaulting Freakish during the goal celebration?
Yes I did wonder about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469