Championship 20/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're all more than welcome to side with the Millwall fans.

Racism and homophobia are two systemic problems in both football and wider-society. If you're siding with the people who are booing players for kneeling in support of BLM, or the fans that are outraged about rainbow armbands and laces, I think you're on the wrong side of the argument.

Racism and homophobia are two systemic problems in both football and wider-society. If you're siding with the people who are booing players for kneeling in support of BLM, or the fans that are outraged about rainbow armbands and laces, I think you're on the wrong side of the argument.

You have perfectly set out the problem. You are putting anyone that doesn't follow the line into the same side as each other. That is a dreadful mistake and completely undermines the point and the purpose you are trying to put forward. It is completely counter-productive.

You will never, ever, improve racism or homophobia by saying that anyone that doesn't agree with 'me' is on the wrong side of the argument.

You have perfectly set out the problem. You are putting anyone that doesn't follow the line into the same side as each other. That is a dreadful mistake and completely undermines the point and the purpose you are trying to put forward. It is completely counter-productive.

You will never, ever, improve racism or homophobia by saying that anyone that doesn't agree with 'me' is on the wrong side of the argument.
I think that you are actually. I'm simply stating that booing players who are showing support for BLM is wrong.

I don't mind whether you support or don't support pre-game kneeling. But Millwall fans have been quoted as to the reasons that they booed the kneeling yesterday, and those reasons were not that they thought that the BLM kneeling had gone on for too long...

Is the kneeling not just performative bullshit on the part of the clubs? In the US, kneeling during the national anthem was a decision individual players took as a symbolic gesture. It was specifically about systemic racism and police violence towards black people. Now, this practice has been imported to our shores as a coordinated, universal act of virtue-signalling, and has gone on for so long that it has now lost all its meaning. What’s the point?

Is the kneeling not just performative bullshit on the part of the clubs? In the US, kneeling during the national anthem was a decision individual players took as a symbolic gesture. It was specifically about systemic racism and police violence towards black people. Now, this practice has been imported to our shores as a coordinated, universal act of virtue-signalling, and has gone on for so long that it has now lost all its meaning. What’s the point?

Bang on the money

Well said.

I've always found booing an unpleasant habit, and don't think I've ever done it, in response to anything. Am I very strange?

I've always found booing an unpleasant habit, and don't think I've ever done it, in response to anything. Am I very strange?

If you didn’t boo at Peter Taylor you’re really not a proper fan

That's my take n all.

Still think the Millwall lot will have booed because they're racists rather than growing tired of it, like.

That's my take n all.

Still think the Millwall lot will have booed because they're racists rather than growing tired of it, like.
Yeah I’ve seen tweets that appear to confirm this, but I don’t think anyone is arguing otherwise

Are you concerned that anybody on this forum has done this or is likely to do it?
If so, perhaps you should name them so they can tell you how ridiculous your statement is.

Are you concerned that anybody on this forum has done this or is likely to do it?
If so, perhaps you should name them so they can tell you how ridiculous your statement is.
Fabulous example of what 2,000 people at a game can mean. I totally understood the BLM knee back in June/July. It was a strong statement. Still doing it in December is fecking absurd.
Even you can't have forgotten this post already?

Disagreeing with taking the knee before games is fine. Using an example of racism and racist fans booing to start the conversation wasn't the best idea.

Even you can't have forgotten this post already?

Disagreeing with taking the knee before games is fine. Using an example of racism and racist fans booing to start the conversation wasn't the best idea.
Even you can't believe that BN is "siding with Millwall fans" in making this statement.

There was booing at a number of other grounds yesterday. It will spread further too. Are you suggesting that all of us are racist that find this display tiring?

What I find pervasive is the increase in non-football displays in the game. The BLM is just the latest. Last year I argued against the poppy rubbish that is getting increasingly pathetic. I cannot stand the constant minute silences for anyone or anything either. It also grates with me the now endless list of players that appear to need to pray to someone or something before taking the pitch, after scoring a goal, etc.

Football is a sport, it should not be a vehicle for peddling poltical views, cultural messages or whatever else. I don't mind very occasional and appropriate marks or respect or messaging. But football is full of it now. Why the feck did every single game last week have a minutes silence/applause for Maradona? A footballer that I loved but a man that had nothing whatsoever to do with the PL/FL. Come to think of it, what is the minutes silence/applause in an empty stadium about anyway? It's nonsensical.

Previously, one game a season was an anti-racist fixture. Now it's every game. Every time the players take the knee before kick off, what exactly do you want me to take from it? And then the same two hours later when the next match comes on? And two hours after that? And again and again?

Fans back in grounds means that real people get to express their views once again. Nine months of football and footballers being up their own backsides is over. I say hurrah to that. I only wish that more supporters had the courage to express their true opinions about these displays.
But perhaps it only being one match a year is part of the problem. We had kick it out, it didn't work. We had show racism the red card. It didn't work. Maybe something more long term might have an impact. Maybe it won't, but short term, once in a blue moon things certainly haven't.

But perhaps it only being one match a year is part of the problem. We had kick it out, it didn't work. We had show racism the red card. It didn't work. Maybe something more long term might have an impact. Maybe it won't, but short term, once in a blue moon things certainly haven't.
What would you define as 'didn't work'? I would imagine during the time both of those campaigns ran, racist incidents at football matches fell. In fact, I would be willing to bet a substantial sum that just before lockdown, such instances were the lowest they've ever been.

Unless you expected those campaigns to completely rid society of prejudice?

What would you define as 'didn't work'? I would imagine during the time both of those campaigns ran, racist incidents at football matches fell. In fact, I would be willing to bet a substantial sum that just before lockdown, such instances were the lowest they've ever been.

Unless you expected those campaigns to completely rid society of prejudice?
Actually, just read a couple of articles and I might keep that sum in my pocket as it seems that 'reports of racist incidents rose'.

However, that doesn't mean we're a more racist society than the year before. It might well mean that we're more aware and disgusted by it and therefore more willing to report it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363