Charity

Status
Not open for further replies.

enderby fox

Afternoon Tballers!

Just want a bit of advice if possible. I find out next week if i get a place to run in the Great North Run in September. I have been training for around 2 months and have lost 2 stone so far. Still got a fair way to go with the fitness but if i get my place then i'll start to hit the tarmac. If i don't get a place in the race through the ballot then i will probably go direct to the Charity to see if i can get in through them.

2 Questions.

1.) Anyone had any experiance or running a marathon/half marathon. What training did you do to prepare, would you change anything you did? Basically any tips, advice would be helpful.

2.) Did you do it for charity and if so who did you do it for. I'm leaning towards doing it for Rainbows if they'll have me but is there anybody else you could suggest who may benefit from the money i hopefully will raise.

Cheers peeps

That was before they changed their name to Snickers :icon_lol:
:tumbleweed:

:icon_eek: I won't tell her you said it, but don't bank on everyone else keeping quiet.
:018:

I think that was in her Lara Croft days :icon_lol:
I will never be allowed to forget....

EF - I have run a couple of half marathons, and I ran the London Marathon. The best thing I can suggest is to build up your fitness for the time being. You don't need to start running lots just yet. If you sign up to the Runners World website, you can select the option for the half marathon training newsletter. It is geared up for a race date around the time of the GNR, and will be sent about August time, I think. Each week it gives you a training plan aimed at your estimated finish time. If you are looking to finish around 2 hours or more, your longest run will be the GNR itself, but if you want a good, competitive time then you will be running longer distances (IIRC).

The training plans involve short runs during the week, and a long run on Sunday. You'll be mixing hill work and interval training, which make a huge difference.

Still got a fair way to go with the fitness but if i get my place then i'll start to hit the tarmac.

It was running on tarmac that did for my knee. High impact, although I suppose unlike me you have youth on your side and not such a knackered body :icon_bigg

It was running on tarmac that did for my knee. High impact, although I suppose unlike me you have youth on your side and not such a knackered body :icon_bigg

..... and Enderby will not be running from the police like you were.

:tumbleweed:

:018:

I will never be allowed to forget....

EF - I have run a couple of half marathons, and I ran the London Marathon. The best thing I can suggest is to build up your fitness for the time being. You don't need to start running lots just yet. If you sign up to the Runners World website, you can select the option for the half marathon training newsletter. It is geared up for a race date around the time of the GNR, and will be sent about August time, I think. Each week it gives you a training plan aimed at your estimated finish time. If you are looking to finish around 2 hours or more, your longest run will be the GNR itself, but if you want a good, competitive time then you will be running longer distances (IIRC).

The training plans involve short runs during the week, and a long run on Sunday. You'll be mixing hill work and interval training, which make a huge difference.

I ran three one year and would echo that advice. I didn't have access at the time to the website so can't comment on the online info but I bought Runners World and stuck to the training programmes in there and found it excellent.

I ran three one year and would echo that advice. I didn't have access at the time to the website so can't comment on the online info but I bought Runners World and stuck to the training programmes in there and found it excellent.

Three? Well done to you!!

I forgot to say, there is a site, fetcheveryone, it's useful for keeping records of your training runs, or as I have discovered, identifying patterns (I run my fewest miles in January, due to my asthma playing up).

Enderby - have a think about why you want to do it. If it's for the experience and/or charity then the Great North Run is what you want. It's a bit like the London Marathon in that it's on the tele, packed to capacity and very difficult to run freely.

If you want the physical benefits and want to achieve your fastest time then there are many around the country to choose from that would let you do that. I did Nottingham, Mansfield and Harrow.

Enderby - have a think about why you want to do it. If it's for the experience and/or charity then the Great North Run is what you want. It's a bit like the London Marathon in that it's on the tele, packed to capacity and very difficult to run freely.

If you want the physical benefits and want to achieve your fastest time then there are many around the country to choose from that would let you do that. I did Nottingham, Mansfield and Harrow.
I'd agree with that. I know I could get a better marathon time (fat women lying on their application forms, so they can start further up in the field doesn't help), but the atmosphere and experience was brilliant. I would do London again. The training is another matter....

Having criticised the fat women (and men, to be fair), it was a massive confidence booster to run 26.2 miles and keep on passing lots of people!!

A friend of mine ran marathon's on a serious level, and he said that the stretch of the Robin Hood that ran past Home Pierpoint was really depressing. The course may have changed, but did you find that FGTG?

I'd agree with that. I know I could get a better marathon time (fat women lying on their application forms, so they can start further up in the field doesn't help), but the atmosphere and experience was brilliant. I would do London again. The training is another matter....

Having criticised the fat women (and men, to be fair), it was a massive confidence booster to run 26.2 miles and keep on passing lots of people!!

A friend of mine ran marathon's on a serious level, and he said that the stretch of the Robin Hood that ran past Home Pierpoint was really depressing. The course may have changed, but did you find that FGTG?

Can't recall that. I do vividly remember the Mansfield one. Really hilly aparting the boring bit where it went around anonymous famers ffields. :icon_lol:

I've done some running before.
Never got caught.

Sorry for the late reply guys i've been away for the weekend. 1 last jaunt before i get stuck into the training. That's the kind of thing i am looking for. The experiance and the sense that i have achieved something and if i can raise any money along the way for a deserving charity then happy days. I'd hope it's a stepping stone to doing the London marathon in a few years.

I've done some running before.
Never got caught.

Your getting older now macky. One day your gonna get caught! :icon_bigg

Didn't get a place in GNR in the main ballot and so i contacted Rainbows to see if i could grab one of their places.

They still have places available and i need to raise a minimum of £350 sponsership. I have talked this through with the other half and i have decided to go for it.

I have booked an appointment with the doctors so that he can give me some advice on nutrition and general wellbeing. I struggle on the right types of food i should eat so i'm hoping he can either give me some advice or put me into contact with a nutritionist.

I am going to ask my place of work to sponsor me on making a contribution towards my running gear i think. They have done this in the past and i'm hoping they will see it's a good cause too.

Along the way i think i'm going to do a blog. I have a blog site but don't really use it that often. I hope to do a weekly one now. I am popping into my local newsagents tonight and am going to subscribe to the runners world magazine on the advice of LeeH and FGTG. Already been on there website too.

Just need to start my training which will be mainly gym work this week before i start to incorporate swimming and a little road running too. need to get that weight off asap.

I ran the Paris marathon last year and I'm running London this year. I'd echo everything that LeeH and FGTG have said. Generally starting your training early enough (i.e. long enough before the race) and building up the miles slowly enough should keep you injury free.

Good luck Enderby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670