Post Match Charlton 2 Leicester 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
NP picks a team

We win

No one says a dicky bird

NP picks the same team, with the same tactis etc.

We lose

Everybody behaves like it's a glorious game of Championship Manager, and ramble on about shite

NP picks a team.

We win.

NP picks the same team.

"Great move Nige" etc.

We lose.

"Why the **** did he pick that team?!!" etc.

And repeat.

Correct, It's rather annoying how people seem to swing from one extreme to the other over the course of 4 days, people need to get a grip and accept that we will lose some games, at least the manner of the defeat wasn't all depressing and negative. Get an experienced centre half back in the mix and hopefully we will see the rewards.

Blackburn are under a lot of pressure at the moment so I hope we go there set-up to win the game in much the same way, we just need to be more switched on at the back and get tighter with the sound of things.

BN, you're just as entitled to an opinion as me, but I strongly disagree that we were set up wrong yesterday. We outplyed Charlton for the first 20 minutes and should have been at least one up by the time they scored, but for some wastfulness up front. I agree that it's a totally different proposition in the second half, but the facts remain that we totally outplayed Charlton for most of the first half and all of the second half with two out-and-out wingers, and neither of the goals we conceded resulted from the system we were playing. The first, we were cheap with possession in midfield (James), the second was a long-throw which we defended terribly (not positive, but Moore I think was the main culprit).

If we go away from home to the mid or lower Championship teams and play that way in that formation, we will win more than we lose. To answer your question, I don't think a midfield three of Danns, Drinkwater and King would have been any more effective, particularly, as I said, given that their goals were not a result of the system we were playing. In fact, the width that we showed all night did help us to retain possession and stretch the opposition without, in my opinion, costing us much defensively. Certainly King's introduction (into the same system) made a big difference, as James had not played very well, and Frenchie's introduction (into the same system) was equally effective, as Marshall had been totally off the boil.

Regardless, if we go away and play that well all season, I'll be happy, and we'll get more poitive results than negative, as all of the Charlton fans agreed on the way home.

It's not hard to tell that you were at the game.

The only part I would disagree with is your feeling that we will win more than we lose playing that way. It seemed to me that we were almost reversing roles with Charlton, particularly in the first half - with only City providing any adventure in the game. Charlton proved that they could confound us and did so most effectively to go in 2-up at half-time. I think others will have learned from that and we will find them doing the same - and with similar effect.

In short, we need to capitalise of our possession and turn it into goals - and we need to get a more experienced defender in alongside Morgan; I thought Moore found the intimidation of Wright-Phillips to much to deal with and his inexperience showed. We should change the starting XI for the weekend.

So where are these posts that proclaim the team selection as shit or people saying we are now doomed after being dead certainties for promotion on Saturday?

NP picks a team

We win

No one says a dicky bird

NP picks the same team, with the same tactis etc.

We lose

Everybody behaves like it's a glorious game of Championship Manager, and ramble on about shite

It's a bit early in the season for me to take out my pen filled with sarcy vitriol.....but have you considered that team selection needs to take into account the fixture/ strengths of the opposition or put another way there have always been players who are so to speak homers (pun intended) and don't fancy much away games. There are also home teams who know that the physically softer away sides can be better pushed around on their own turf.

It's a bit early in the season for me to take out my pen filled with sarcy vitriol.....but have you considered that team selection needs to take into account the fixture/ strengths of the opposition or put another way there have always been players who are so to speak homers (pun intended) and don't fancy much away games. There are also home teams who know that the physically softer away sides can be better pushed around on their own turf.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you.

But the level of hindsight on this forum is incredible, even considering the ratio of morons.

In short, we need to capitalise of our possession and turn it into goals - and we need to get a more experienced defender in alongside Morgan; I thought Moore found the intimidation of Wright-Phillips to much to deal with and his inexperience showed. We should change the starting XI for the weekend.

Absolutely agree with all of this.

Moore, whilst I thought he was excellent against Peterborough and is certainly a fantastic prospect, was taught a bit of a lesson by BWP last night. He wasn't embarassed, but he was bullied and we need our centre backs to be dominant (where's Zak etc. etc.).

If we have the option to change him for the Blackburn game, I would (although his inclusion won't be too bad a thing). I would certainly bring King in for James and I think Frenchie did enough (or Marshall didn't do enough) to get in as well. I agree that Dyer was frustrating, but he was still involved in the majority of our threatening moves, which wasn't true for Marshall (who I also think is a very good player). Generally, I think our squad looks pretty strong and well balanced.

After 30 seconds looking I've seen at least 3 posts.

BN is the only one to knock the selction but at least he has taken the time to give reasons for his opinions and they do make sense in essence.

The only other posts refer to Andy King starting on Saturday which is almost a certainty and anyone who thinks otherwise more of an idiot than the morons you refer to.

Any way the wind blows doesn't really matter to me, to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669