City 1 -0 Stockport

Status
Not open for further replies.
But we made six changes ourselves and don't you think that in the past few years, against 10 men and this type of opposition we would have lost?
Plus listening to the commentary they said that Stockport had come to try and stop us playing, but from the sound of it we still made plenty of chances.
Agreed, but I'm not 100% certain that our changes were drastically for the worse.

And yes, I'm sure would have crumbled in previous seasons.

I've heard conflicting reports from a couple of people who went- but they both say that they were far the better side before the sending off, so I'm not getting too excited

A win is a win, however

The fact that we are now in some sort of desperate crisis because of Mattock's injury reveals how ridiculous our recruitment policy has been this summer. Going into a full season with no cover for either full back position was just plain stupid

I'll take this another forward move in our recovery. Optimistic bugger aren't I? :icon_wink
I largely agree with you, I'm still not 100% certain what our best line up is yet, so for me I wasn't sure if they were worse changes, better changes, or just like for like.

Based on my edivence from the first two games, I think my favoured starting line up will be Dickov & Fryatt, so long as Fryatt learns to release the ball to players in better positions, that is.

Stockport made 4/5 changes from their team at the weekend.

According to a Stocky fan, two were on the cards after impressive performances off the bench on Saturday but the others were players ''resting''.

What impressed me with Morrison on Saturday was his distribution - doesn't hoof the fecker, takes his time and picks a pass.

I largely agree with you, I'm still not 100% certain what our best line up is yet, so for me I wasn't sure if they were worse changes, better changes, or just like for like.

Based on my edivence from the first two games, I think my favoured starting line up will be Dickov & Fryatt, so long as Fryatt learns to release the ball to players in better positions, that is.

I'd go along with that. A few players have got to show what they can do, which will then help to decide on the best line up, although I think NP already has a problem for me as I like Tunchev, Morrison & Hobbs. Nice problem to have though. Midfield is still the grey area for me though, still not sure who will be best together, but each game will add to our knowledge.

I've heard conflicting reports from a couple of people who went- but they both say that they were far the better side before the sending off, so I'm not getting too excited

A win is a win, however

The fact that we are now in some sort of desperate crisis because of Mattock's injury reveals how ridiculous our recruitment policy has been this summer. Going into a full season with no cover for either full back position was just plain stupid

Pearson said the same in his post match so I guess it is good that he knows what he needs to work on.

One positive in the two matches to date is the conversion rate. We've managed 6 shots on target in 180 mins of football and scored with 50% of those efforts.

If we can only start getting 10+ shots on target per game, we should be much more comfortable, and not so reliant on poor opposition finishing. We should have been behind in the first minute last night. But aside from that miss, we've not really faced anything from either Stockport or MK Dons to trouble us defensively.

I remain concerned that we don't seem likely to create sufficient chances to score goals. We cannot expect to continue converting half the shots on target we have.

I am also concerned that our defence will not stand up to stronger attackers. A few good set pieces, direct balls and rough forward play will have us all over the place on the evidence I've seen so far.

That said, there are signs that we're developing as a team rather than a bunch of lost individuals. The signings all appear to be sound (with the exception of Dyer on Saturday's showing).

NP seems to be in control and commanding respect too. He's certainly got more authority about him than I've seen from any of his recent predecessors.

One positive in the two matches to date is the conversion rate. We've managed 6 shots on target in 180 mins of football and scored with 50% of those efforts.

If we can only start getting 10+ shots on target per game, we should be much more comfortable, and not so reliant on poor opposition finishing. We should have been behind in the first minute last night. But aside from that miss, we've not really faced anything from either Stockport or MK Dons to trouble us defensively.

I remain concerned that we don't seem likely to create sufficient chances to score goals. We cannot expect to continue converting half the shots on target we have.

I am also concerned that our defence will not stand up to stronger attackers. A few good set pieces, direct balls and rough forward play will have us all over the place on the evidence I've seen so far.

That said, there are signs that we're developing as a team rather than a bunch of lost individuals. The signings all appear to be sound (with the exception of Dyer on Saturday's showing).

NP seems to be in control and commanding respect too. He's certainly got more authority about him than I've seen from any of his recent predecessors.

I thought Dyer had a decent enough game on Saturday, second half a lot of the play went down our right but when he got it I thought he held it up well and put in some decent passes.

NP's going to have a tough decision on who to play left mid, when levi came on last night he looked really good and skinned there right back every time he ran at him with the ball and he put in some dangerous crosses. Dyer played quite well on saturday though.

Stockport County, like many clubs coming to the likes of the Walkers this season, would have been well up for putting one over us....The ground & facilities will in many ways work against us and get teams playing up to the surroundings and really go for it.

Last night many a team from higher divisions fell from the wayside in the banana-skin 1st round. We didn't.

Edgeley Park and it will be up to City to raise themselves in less selubrious surroundings to get ugly and do what's required to get points and get out of there.

For me, you have to play Howard and Fryatt with Dickov on the bench.

Did Gilbert play last night? Was he any good - I thought he was by far the worst player on Saturday.

Is there anywhere there is a link to video of last nights game?

Did Gilbert play last night? Was he any good - I thought he was by far the worst player on Saturday.

Is there anywhere there is a link to video of last nights game?

On LCFC World.

Harsh sending off IMO and the challenge on Mattock looked innocuous(sp), I think his studs must have stuck.

Interesting to see that MK Dons beat Norwich last night

Dyer was very good in the first half on Saturday. Less involved in the second half.
He is a definite for the team this Saturday in my view and I am looking forward to seeing him v Tranmere.

Give Gilbert a bit more time. Looks good going forward and will not be troubled often defensively at this level.

I think Tunchev will turn out to be a great buy. He has good control and composure.

Need cover at full-back and I still think we need better in midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669