Post Match City 1 Peterboro 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the first half, City kicked towards the Kop end, but Peterborough kicked off.
This suggested to me that City won the toss, and tried a different tact, or did somebody get it wrong?

I posted this in the NFL thread, but it could probably apply to being a football fan at times:
[video]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DtRBDMMV ctu8&v=tRBDMMVctu8&gl=GB[/video]

Last edited:
For the record i think Yakubu is the best striker i have ever seen play for this club.

This is one of those extremely rare instances when I feel advantaged in being old - and unfortunately you are disadvantaged if Yakubu is as good as its got. I could suggest off the top of my head: Arthur Rowley; Willie Gardiner; Jimmy Walsh; Derek Dougan; Frank Worthington; Gary Lineker; (possibly) Alan Smith and maybe a few more if I could afford the brain cells.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one of those extremely rare instances when I feel advantaged in being old - and unfortunately you are disadvantaged if Yakubu is as good as its got. I could suggest off the top of my head: Arthur Rowley; Willie Gardiner; Jimmy Walsh; Derek Dougan; Frank Worthington; Gary Lineker; (possibly) Alan Smith and maybe a few more if I could afford the brain cells.

Iwan Roberts was playing when i first got taken to a game, and i have seen some very good strikers pass through, Joachim, Heskey, Ferdinand, Deane, and Dickov spring to mind, but i do feel that Yakubu was a class above any of them. Depends what qualities you admire i suppose. Heskey was more of a presence than a threat IMO, same with Deane. Ferdinand was class but wish we had him younger. Joachim and Dickov made the most of there abilities with a fantastic work ethic. Roberts was a battering ram (a very good one).

Iwan Roberts was playing when i first got taken to a game, and i have seen some very good strikers pass through, Joachim, Heskey, Ferdinand, Deane, and Dickov spring to mind, but i do feel that Yakubu was a class above any of them. Depends what qualities you admire i suppose. Heskey was more of a presence than a threat IMO, same with Deane. Ferdinand was class but wish we had him younger. Joachim and Dickov made the most of there abilities with a fantastic work ethic. Roberts was a battering ram (a very good one).

Depends as well on whether you consider it valid to make comparisons across different eras. That said Rowley was such a consistent and deadly striker that
its difficult to imagine a time when he wouldn't have scored lots of goals. Currently, there is a bit of a debate as to whether our midfield or attack is the greater problem. Drawing on Rowley's era we had good class wingers e.g. Mal Griffiths & Derek Hogg. To-day we lack a class wide player - Dyer does his best and has pace but he isn't good enough to beat defenders. Gally is stuck out wide and has some good qualities - but it doesn't look quite right. I think the priority would be to bring in a quality winger - but i doubt whether there are many around that are good enough or affordable.

Johnson are good, good players who should see some chances soon.

I don't see it in Johnson myself. His body has finished his career. Reminds me of Kermorgant in some respects that he clearly possesses the technique but isn't quicker enough for the division. Moving abroad or similar would do wonders for him.

As for Neil Danns, I'd bet my bottom dollar that there were a number of clubs who would have been happy picking him up on a free in the close season.

Yes, Rangers which says a lot. He's like a 14 year old kid playing football; as soon as he has to make a decision, it's an over-hit pass or a poor touch.

Last edited:
But none of that matters, he can have all the technical ability in the world and have the stamina of a camel, his job is to score and/or create goals and he isn't doing that at anything above an mediocre level and he has never done it at anything above an mediocre level his entire career.

So a striker's job is just to score and create goals and everything else is unecessary. Ok then PR.

I give up.

So a striker's job is just to score and create goals and everything else is unecessary. Ok then PR.

I give up.

No, I never said that at all. A striker's job, just like every other player on the pitch, is simply to help his team win games of football, but a striker's job is primarily to contribute to the goals for tally rather than keep the goals against tally down (though that is his job as well) and simply having good technique or a lot of stamina does neither. I think Nugent could come good, but from what he's done this season so far it's been a lot of huff and not enough end product. Working hard, having good stamina or having good technique doesn't actually mean anything positive on it's own unless it's used to effect the outcome of the game positively, we've all seen with Waghorn and Hume that hard work with little end product doesn't make for much and Nugent hasn't been having an effect on the game enough so far this season. Much like most of our team, he's been fantastic on occasion but not regularly enough.

As for the subject of Yakubu, I'd say it's a toss up between him and Ferdinand for the best striker I've ever seen at the club. Like Feriol, I wish Sir Les would have been a few years younger when he was here though, but even in his old age and not being able to play every week because of it he absolutely oozed class.

Last edited:
No one could ever be the "new David Gwilliam" :icon_lol: (Much love, DG).

If player A passes to player B and puts it 10 yards away from him, is it also player B's fault for not reading the bad pass? I've never understood why crosses are different. I definitely saw Nugent and Beckford getting into good positions in the box only to never received the ball at least 3 times I can think of off the top of my head.

I'm not saying our players are the best in the division, but I can't think of many teams that are full of these players that you claim are so much better. I don't think Lambert is a better player than Beckford, I just think he is getting better service from players such as Lalana, who are miles better than Dyer. I still think that you don't need this amazing team to get promoted, Swansea certainly didn't have top class players, neither did Norwich, Blackpool or Derby when they did it to name a few. They had 1, maybe 2, very good players in the middle who controlled games. I think we have that in King, but unfortunately playing with Wellens is detrimental to both of their games.

I think Lambert is a great player for this league and I was gutted we didn't buy him when Southampton did a few seasons back. I was confident he could make the step up. But I agree i don't know many other teams in the league that have a better strikeforce on paper.

Last edited:
If player A passes to player B and puts it 10 yards away from him, is it also player B's fault for not reading the bad pass? I've never understood why crosses are different. I definitely saw Nugent and Beckford getting into good positions in the box only to never received the ball at least 3 times I can think of off the top of my head.

I'm not saying our players are the best in the division, but I can't think of many teams that are full of these players that you claim are so much better. I don't think Lambert is a better player than Beckford, I just think he is getting better service from players such as Lalana, who are miles better than Dyer. I still think that you don't need this amazing team to get promoted, Swansea certainly didn't have top class players, neither did Norwich, Blackpool or Derby when they did it to name a few. They had 1, maybe 2, very good players in the middle who controlled games. I think we have that in King, but unfortunately playing with Wellens is detrimental to both of their games.

You're using an extreme as an example there, MB. To present the flip side: if player A plays an intelligent through ball which would open up the defence if player B would run on to it and if he could genuinely make it and run on to it, but he doesn't is it not player B's fault for not reading the pass?

I think Lambert is absolutely a better player than Beckford. For one thing Lambert isn't a greedy bastard who doesn't keep constantly scuppering our attacks by thinking that trying to beat 4 men is a better option than passing when a teammate is in space screaming for the ball. That's the thing that annoys me most about Beckford and he's doing it match after match and several times a match as well. No doubt in my mind he's costing us points with his ball hogging and him wanting to take the glory himself rather than making a far more sensible pass to a player in far better positions and he could lay off excellent goalscoring opportunities. There were several more examples of this yet again on Saturday.

Last edited:
Depends as well on whether you consider it valid to make comparisons across different eras. That said Rowley was such a consistent and deadly striker that
its difficult to imagine a time when he wouldn't have scored lots of goals. Currently, there is a bit of a debate as to whether our midfield or attack is the greater problem. Drawing on Rowley's era we had good class wingers e.g. Mal Griffiths & Derek Hogg. To-day we lack a class wide player - Dyer does his best and has pace but he isn't good enough to beat defenders. Gally is stuck out wide and has some good qualities - but it doesn't look quite right. I think the priority would be to bring in a quality winger - but i doubt whether there are many around that are good enough or affordable.

I judge it on the relative impact they had in their own era's, though i don't think football has changed as dramatically as some people think, certainly in my time. The only one of the players i mentioned that i think would struggle today is Roberts, as he would conceed too many free kicks with todays referees. Joachim's pace would still cause problems, Dickov would still make something out of nothing, Heskey still works defenders, deane would still win 99.9% of his headers with well judged flick-ons. Ferdinand had so many qualities and was intelligent enough to know what would work.

Yakubu is a deceptively intelligent footballer, he knows exactly when it's worth his effort to make a run, and when he is on the ball has a natural instinct. I also thought he was very aware of his team mates and good at bringing them into play if they were in a better posistion (which wasn't too often). I wouldn't describe him as lazy, more 'efficient'.

Beckford is a good striker. He'll score goals when he gets his confidence back. Nugent is an excellent forward at this level too.

Our defence and keeper are plenty good enough. Our strength in depth is fine throughout.

Our midfield lacks one class act of the pacy, creative variety. It's not rocket science. It's football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566