Post Match City 1 Peterboro 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schmeichel excellent. As were both full backs again. We look more solid with Mills than without him.

Wellens and King simply can't manage the middle of midfield by themselves. Gallagher was brought into there at one point when they were being out-muscled. There was also a moment early in the second half where one of their midfielders make a break forward and both Wellens and King were 30 yards off the pace tracking back with no reason for it. Dyer was poor throughout. His distribution and shooting have always been his downfall and they were both bad as ever. Gallagher had a weak game too.

Up front both players weren't on form and struggled to influence things. They are also still a long way from a partnership.

Our confidence is fragile and our shape needs improving going forward and defensively. Basically, we're heading for another mid table season unless NP is able to do something special.

Howard wasn't good enough for this league 4 years ago, why he's still in the squad I'll never know, but then SGE seemed to want to give new contracts to every bit part player.

Complete and utter shite

Wellens and King hopeless. Dyer pointless. Bamba brainless

With that shambles in midfield it is no wonder the poor feckers up front can't score. Absolutely awful in every way

And as for bringing on Howard and Schlupp. Dear Baby Jebus give me strength

Pitiful

Schmeichel excellent. As were both full backs again.

I disagree. I thought Konchesky and Schmeichel had good games, but I thought Peltier was terrible today and had probably his worst game since signing for us. Was constantly getting skinned by their left winger.

Incidentally, that's probably the 3rd or 4th game in a row I'd give our MOTM to Konchesky.

You must have watched an entirely different game to me. I don't think we used long and high balls forward anywhere enough today. We only seemed to play long balls in the last 5 minutes when we were looking for a winner, before that we spent too long playing more patient football when we should have been more direct.

Too right we must have if that was you summation of the game! You want us to use MORE long and high balls? Why when we have no aerial threat? Eve if we put Steve Howard on who can win the flick ons, we've seen how ineffective the tactic is. My personal opinion is that we need some quality wide players. I think Dyer is ok but he is the only option of that sort that we have at the moment.

I'm not sure what to think about the midfield, when the ball is passing them over head on a regular basis I'd e inclined to think it's hard for them to get into the game. I don't think we looked bad or anything today but it was a poor result at home to a poor team. No doubt if Sven was still in charge you'd be banging on about how shit we were, I can remember you pointing out some shit results at home to poor opposition under him and today was no better...

On a related note, I think Pearson will sort things out IF GIVEN TIME. We're only 4 points off play offs still but recent performances suggest we probably aren't going to make them. It will be interesting to see what Pearson does with the squad in January, we know he and his set up have a good eye for a player so I expect we will make some good additions.

Too right we must have if that was you summation of the game! You want us to use MORE long and high balls? Why when we have no aerial threat? Eve if we put Steve Howard on who can win the flick ons, we've seen how ineffective the tactic is. My personal opinion is that we need some quality wide players. I think Dyer is ok but he is the only option of that sort that we have at the moment.

I'm not sure what to think about the midfield, when the ball is passing them over head on a regular basis I'd e inclined to think it's hard for them to get into the game. I don't think we looked bad or anything today but it was a poor result at home to a poor team. No doubt if Sven was still in charge you'd be banging on about how shit we were, I can remember you pointing out some shit results at home to poor opposition under him and today was no better...

On a related note, I think Pearson will sort things out IF GIVEN TIME. We're only 4 points off play offs still but recent performances suggest we probably aren't going to make them. It will be interesting to see what Pearson does with the squad in January, we know he and his set up have a good eye for a player so I expect we will make some good additions.

What are you on about, TS? I have just said I thought the midfield and attack were both shit today, as I have done in the past under SGE. Yes, I'll point out we're shit if we're shit and I'll point out we're good if we're good, that's how fan opinion of games generally works.

And I never said I wanted us to use more long and high balls either, I said I wanted us to be more direct at times today, which is entirely different. We weren't long ball at all and we should have been at times. Wellens, in particular dwelled on the ball far too much as usual and ended up playing a simple pass rather than quickening the game up with a more direct pass.

I don't think anyone is going to argue with you about needing better quality wide players and I think most will say we need better quality central midfielders as well.

I don't think any manager would get us into the play-offs with this squad, it simply isn't good enough. NP needs to make 4 or 5 very good signings in January if we are going to make them.

Last edited:
On a somewhat positive note, the way we started the game I thought we were going to slaughter them. I thought the breakthrough was going to happen early and a flood of goal was going to come. Give me a Guppy and a Lennon and I think we'd be a different side.

Last edited:
What are you on about, TS? I have just said I thought the midfield and attack were both shit today, as I have done in the past under SGE. Yes, I'll point out we're shit if we're shit and I'll point out we're good if we're good, that's how fan opinion of games generally works.

And I never said I wanted us to use more long and high balls either, I said I wanted us to be more direct at times today, which is entirely different. We weren't long ball at all and we should have been at times. Wellens, in particular dwelled on the ball far too much as usual and ended up playing a simple pass rather than quickening the game up with a more direct pass.

I don't think anyone is going to argue with you about needing better quality wide players and I think most will say we need better quality central midfielders as well.

I don't think any manager would get us into the play-offs with this squad, it simply isn't good enough. NP needs to make 4 or 5 very good signings in January if we are going to make them.
I agree about Wellens. I think his extra touch causes us to lose the forward impetus and allows the opposition to get into position. I actually think he is a good player but I just think he needs Nigel to have a word with him and tell him to move the ball earlier - though I guess this should have happened already by now!

At least West Ham aren't contenders anymore then after gifting Reading 3 goals today.

They had 10 men and then 9, absolutely different game in all aspects.

It is very rare for me to be relieved by the final whistle when we are not winning. It was bitingly cold and I would not have been surprised to see Peterborough sneak an extra time winner.

I think we need another midfielder. Nigel needs to choose between Dyer and Gallagher - both have qualities but neither are natural battlers. Danns reminds me of Nicky Adams very brave very energetic and not skilled enough.

How remarkable that two people at same game can see it totally differently. Profondo thought Nugent did badly and Spion thought he did well. On this I have to agree with Spion although it is true that he and Beckford seem to be no nearer forming a partnership. We miss Vassell.

I have to agree with those who do not think we are good enough for the play-offs. No doubt Nigel will try and put this right in the transfer window but this can be difficult.

On a different note: Kingy was asking about photography at the ground. Someone took a picture of their kiddie with Martyn Waghorn at the end of half time with a steward looking on apparently approving.

Tp quote you directly you said "I don't think we used long and high balls anywhere near enough" which quite clearly implies you wanted to see us use them more. I'd also disagree on your opinion about us having a squad that isn't good enough for promotion. The last time Pearson was here he made the play offs with what I believe was a weaker squad, if you look at the players that have changed between now and then..

SCHMEICHEL - arguably an improvement over WEALE
MIDFIELD - Pretty much exactly the same with quite a few additions
NUGENT - arguably better than Fryatt, but certainly not a backwards step IMO
BECKFORD - Improvement over Waghorn? Despite his current form I'd still have to say yes.
KONCHESKY - IMO a vast improvement over Berner
PELTIER - IMO a better RB than Morrison

We also have better strength in depth now to cope with injuries and suspensions.

IMO the squad is good enough but is lacking in wide players. I'd like to see us add one or two of them. Other than that, just stop fecking hoofing it aimlessly to forwards who rarely win aerial challenges.

I'd agree that our midfield hasn't been great of late, Wellens doesn't pull the strings like he has been capable of in the past, King seemed very static today too. But the tactics employed haven't really helped their cause. IMO we need to be less direct and put a bit more effort in with regards to our off the ball movement, particularly offensively but a bit better closing down defensively would be nice too. We were excellent at the latter against Palace in his first game back, what the feck has happened since?

And as for bringing on Howard and Schlupp. Dear Baby Jebus give me strength

Pitiful

Who would you have brought on to change things then Homer?

Tp quote you directly you said "I don't think we used long and high balls anywhere near enough" which quite clearly implies you wanted to see us use them more. I'd also disagree on your opinion about us having a squad that isn't good enough for promotion. The last time Pearson was here he made the play offs with what I believe was a weaker squad, if you look at the players that have changed between now and then..

SCHMEICHEL - arguably an improvement over WEALE
MIDFIELD - Pretty much exactly the same with quite a few additions
NUGENT - arguably better than Fryatt, but certainly not a backwards step IMO
BECKFORD - Improvement over Waghorn? Despite his current form I'd still have to say yes.
KONCHESKY - IMO a vast improvement over Berner
PELTIER - IMO a better RB than Morrison

Again, I think people are underrating our defence of 09/10. The side of 09/10 was built around the defence, the midfield and attack were average mid-table fodder that season, but it doesn't matter because our defence was so good. This season, our midfield or attack might be slightly better (though tbh I don't think they are any better and either way they're still average, mid-table fodder), but our defence isn't half as good as it was in 09/10.

Yes, you mention the few additions in midfield, but they are no better and make no difference. I never rated Waghorn but he was certainly a far better player than what I've seen of Beckford this season. Nugent has been about the same as Fryatt so far really.

Schmeichel, fair enough, though Weale was excellent in 09/10 too. I like Konchesky a lot, but Berner was also excellent that season and I wouldn't say PK was necessarily better than him. Morrison was better than Peltier imo and Hobbs in 09/10 was twice the player of any of our current centre backs and Wayne Brown could organise the defence far better than any of our current defenders as well.

I'd take our first choice xi in 09/10 over our current one any day of the week. IMO we've gone from having an average attack and midfield but with a fantastic defence in 09/10 to now being average all over the pitch.

We also have better strength in depth now to cope with injuries and suspensions.

Doesn't make one bit of difference if you don't get them, which we rarely have really under NP and that's not solely down to luck.

Last edited:
I'm not debating that as Schmeichel is probably the best GK we've had since I've been following Leicester, but anybody who refutes Weale being excellent in 09/10 also needs their head, or their memory, checking.

As mentioned during the match thread the passing today was very poor , be that long balls which doesnt really work that well, or short incisive balls. Much of it was predictable and Peterborough, who have let in an average of 2 goals a game, defended stoutly, but our final ball today was just not good enough.

King caught in possession too often and did not get in the positions forward wise that he has in the past.
Peterborough broke forward a few times due to losing/giving away possession that with a better team could have resulted in losing a goal. Wheno they scored you could just see it coming. Why did we not go for 3 up front and take Dyer off for Shcluup. Abe not on the bench but he would have been usefull today to help break up play to then provide the ball for Wellens or King to pass. Danns did no more than run around like a headless chicken again.

Last edited:
I guess I'm in the minority then as I actually thought some of the crossing and service today, especially in the first half, was good, but the strikers just weren't getting in the positions or taking them. Konchesky had 3 or 4 excellent crosses in in the first 20 minutes alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669