City act to stop abuse of Away Priority rules

bocadillo

Water Gypsy

Leicester City Football Club is trialling random ticket ID checks for supporters visiting away stadiums next month to help improve fan safety and tackle ticket touting.
- Random away ticket ID checks to be in place from 4 March
- The checks are aimed at improving fan safety and matchday experience

These ticket ID checks, which are also aimed at reducing the increasing instances of anti-social behaviour seen at away games, will start from Saturday 4 March, when the Men’s First Team travel to face Southampton in a 5:30pm GMT kick-off at St Mary’s Stadium.

This means that, while the vast majority of tickets will be distributed to purchasing supporters in advance as normal, a small number of tickets will be retained and held for matchday collection at the relevant away ground. Supporters that have purchased these tickets will be asked to present a photo ID that corresponds with the owner of the match ticket in order to collect.

While the process for the majority of supporters will remain unchanged, the small number of supporters who have been selected at random for the ticket ID check will be contacted directly by Leicester City ahead of each fixture with full details.

The Club is conducting ticket ID checks to help prevent abuse of the away ticket priority system, to ensure that only supporters that legitimately qualify to access away tickets are entering visiting sections and to help combat the problem of ticket touting, which is an issue that affects many clubs and supporters.

Supporters are politely reminded that all tickets purchased from the Football Club are strictly non-transferable and that the unauthorised sale of tickets may amount to a criminal offence.

If you are selected for a random ticket ID check, you will be asked to proceed to a designated collection point at the stadium on the day of the match with a valid photo ID. If your ID matches the ticket owner, the Club will then issue you with your match ticket.

The Football Club understand that these checks may cause some inconvenience and thanks supporters for their patience as it kindly asks for cooperation and understanding in this matter. These checks are necessary to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for all fans attending away games.

Yeah, cos our away support are a right naughty firm, aren’t they

Mr and Mrs Miggins with a blanket and flask of soup FFS

Long overdue, I've missed less than 20 away games in the last 25 years and ends that sell out before general sale are rammed with tourists, OT on Sunday was full of them. Too many fans making money from priority they haven't earned. If they can stop the club and players giving away huge amounts of tickets to randoms as well we might actuality get ends with supporters who aren't there for a Tiktok vid.

Long overdue, I've missed less than 20 away games in the last 25 years and ends that sell out before general sale are rammed with tourists, OT on Sunday was full of them. Too many fans making money from priority they haven't earned. If they can stop the club and players giving away huge amounts of tickets to randoms as well we might actuality get ends with supporters who aren't there for a Tiktok vid.

It's a long time since I was a regular at away matches. Life got in the way.

I quite agree that if supporters exploit their right to tickets to resell them something should be done. This feels like a feeble effort though. It's very easy to get around.

The club have always snaffled tickets for themselves and staff at the club have notoriously been very dodgy and their 'friends' get tickets far too easily.

What should the allocation of away tickets be all about? Should those that go regularly have a divine right to obtain whatever tickets they want? I don't think so.

Priority points mean that nobody new can go to games. It means that the same people are in every away end every other week. That's not healthy for the support of the club going forward.

It's a long time since I was a regular at away matches. Life got in the way.

I quite agree that if supporters exploit their right to tickets to resell them something should be done. This feels like a feeble effort though. It's very easy to get around.

The club have always snaffled tickets for themselves and staff at the club have notoriously been very dodgy and their 'friends' get tickets far too easily.

What should the allocation of away tickets be all about? Should those that go regularly have a divine right to obtain whatever tickets they want? I don't think so.

Priority points mean that nobody new can go to games. It means that the same people are in every away end every other week. That's not healthy for the support of the club going forward.
Top priority is a few hundred supporters, it really doesn't restrict a mix of people, I'm very rarely stuck around the same group of supporters, tbh I generally have to search out regulars. At MauU we were surrounded by NanU fans

Top priority is a few hundred supporters, it really doesn't restrict a mix of people, I'm very rarely stuck around the same group of supporters, tbh I generally have to search out regulars. At MauU we were surrounded by NanU fans

So are you saying that most tickets for the Man Utd game went to supporters who resold them or club staff that sold them onto Man Utd fans?

I'm sure what you say is an issue that needs addressing but I think it's highly unlikely to be as extensive as that.

For example, the away game at Brentford went on sale to priority point holders between the 5th-9th Feb for a game in mid-March. It sold out well before any non-regulars could hope for a ticket.

I can't see these being resold to Brentford fans. So they're either regulars going or regulars getting tickets to resell to other City fans.

Any member or season ticket holder can buy tickets for Southampton as they haven't sold out - there are about 200 left. Why don't they go on general sale? Is that a thing now that you have to be an 'official fan' to go to an away match?

So are you saying that most tickets for the Man Utd game went to supporters who resold them or club staff that sold them onto Man Utd fans?

I'm sure what you say is an issue that needs addressing but I think it's highly unlikely to be as extensive as that.

For example, the away game at Brentford went on sale to priority point holders between the 5th-9th Feb for a game in mid-March. It sold out well before any non-regulars could hope for a ticket.

I can't see these being resold to Brentford fans. So they're either regulars going or regulars getting tickets to resell to other City fans.

Any member or season ticket holder can buy tickets for Southampton as they haven't sold out - there are about 200 left. Why don't they go on general sale? Is that a thing now that you have to be an 'official fan' to go to an away match?
No I'm saying that the area I was in was mainly resold, it was the first section on sale to top priority

Brentford is different because their capacity is so low.

A lot of away games go on sale to members, including the Southampton game, which has been on sale to members for a couple of weeks and there are still plenty of tickets left.

I would love to go to more away games but struggle to get tickets as my priority points is normally day 4 of when the tickets go on sale by which time they are all gone or just 1 single ticket is available, the only games I can normally get tickets for are the Sunday or Monday away games live on TV which is frustrating as it means taking time off work where as if I could get away.tickets for Saturdays it wouldn't be a problem work wise.
Went to MK Dons in the cup though :)

This isn't a bad policy, especially when you look at some of the other brain dead shit they come up with.

I can't wait to be treated like a Russian football hooligan on entering sk1 today.

'Improving fan safety and matchday experience' is a mealy mouthed turd of an excuse.

Call it what it is : exerting control.

I hope that this ruling will have an impact on the staff wanging out tickets to whom they please. But beyond that I couldn't give a toss.

I'm more annoyed at the continual mention of the 'matchday experience'. That, in itself, is enough to ruin my 'matchday experience'. ****ing weird that is how the club view the whole affair.

'Improving fan safety and matchday experience' is a mealy mouthed turd of an excuse.

Call it what it is : exerting control.

I hope that this ruling will have an impact on the staff wanging out tickets to whom they please. But beyond that I couldn't give a toss.

I'm more annoyed at the continual mention of the 'matchday experience'. That, in itself, is enough to ruin my 'matchday experience'. ****ing weird that is how the club view the whole affair.
Everything gets introduced as “safety” when we all know it’s about the control as you say.

They just want away ends full of the coach 1 demographic.

Imaging wanting away ends to be as dead and lifeless as our home ends.

Great work from the club to announce this policy for the Southampton game, having already sent those tickets out.

They just want away ends full of the coach 1 demographic.

Imaging wanting away ends to be as dead and lifeless as our home ends.
It might actually free up tickets for less regular travellers if the high priority lot that sell on tickets can't do that anymore and start losing their priority.

It might actually free up tickets for less regular travellers if the high priority lot that sell on tickets can't do that anymore and start losing their priority.
It will take a few seasons for them to lose their priority, especially if they actually attend the odd away game.

Just bought my Palace tickets, over half the 2,687 allocation has gone, I didn’t realise so many had a high priority

Just bought my Palace tickets, over half the 2,687 allocation has gone, I didn’t realise so many had a high priority
Hundreds are allocated for box holders and club giveaways before a single ticket is sold and it's unlikely they will change that.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4464
10Preston 4463