City wallpapers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmaster

Graz said:
I didn't say it wasn't illegal, I asked WHY it is.

What's the difference between those wallpapers, and say, somebody posting images from the OS on this board? That's all I meant, sorry.

Somebody posting an image from the OS on here would also be illegal, unless the club gives permission for it to be used.

DesertFox

But why does copyright come into it anyway? He isn't making money from them I don't think.

The problem is for the photographer - he/she also has to make a living, pay the mortgage, feed and cloth the kids, etc. How can photographers make a living when people expect - nay, demand - to have the product for free? They can't. Hence copyright laws.

OK, in this case the photos came from an agency, and the photographer probably got a one-off fee to sell them. I bet it was a tiny amount. But this rant is more about the general idea that anything/everything is available for anyone/everyone to use as they please. It's not!

Fine, Ricey is not making money from it... but that's like me saying I'll give away whatever product/service YOU provide, for free, and that's fine because I'M not making money from it...

... fine until you realize that YOU are now skint as well!!! :icon_cry:

At the very least, the wallpapers or anything else that is ripped off without the photographer's consent/knowledge should include a credit to the photographer - it's common courtesy. Also, a link to a website where people can make a purchase and give something back to whoever took the excellent photos. The Photoshop work Ricey has done afterwards is nice, but it's pretty straightforward and should only take a few minutes for someone as talented as Ricey clearly is. So I think it's a bit rich for him to take all the credit.

By the way, I'm a photographer, in case you were wondering... ;) But only part-time - it turns out I can't make enough feckin money to go full time, even though I take some pretty damn nice photos! :mad: Who'd have thought it, eh?

But I do get plenty of people asking if they can use my photos for free... sure, what would I want paying for? And here's my car keys as well, and what the hell - fancy a go with my wife?!!

:icon_sad: :mad:

:icon_cool

alex

Desert Fox, is your profile picture one you took? Amazing photo mate, love that.

DesertFox

alex said:
Desert Fox, is your profile picture one you took? Amazing photo mate, love that.

Yep, sure is. Thanks Alex :) . Taken about five minutes from the house. There's an endless supply of "saguaro cactus in the sunset" photo opportunites around Tucson, the home of the giant cactus...

cisono

As I understand *it*, the BBC didn't "do" these wallpapers, they are just providing them.

Steven

cisono said:
As I understand *it*, the BBC didn't "do" these wallpapers, they are just providing them.

Ricey did them. ;)

Ricey

BBC Leicester have access and permission to use photos from the Empics gallery, them displaying my wallpapers with those pictures on is the same as them displaying the pictures in a match report.

I can't see where I'm breaking any laws, if I I'm sorry. All I am doing is creating wallpapers for Leicester fans to enjoy.

Steven

Ricey said:
BBC Leicester have access and permission to use photos from the Empics gallery, them displaying my wallpapers with those pictures on is the same as them displaying the pictures in a match report.

I can't see where I'm breaking any laws, if I I'm sorry. All I am doing is creating wallpapers for Leicester fans to enjoy.

All I said was that you did the wallpapers. :icon_eek: :eek: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: ;)

cisono

Ricey said:

I also didn't say that you are...

Indeed, I myself asked whether it would be acceptable to share a wallpaper I did collating several pictures from the LCFC website or whether there are copyright problems with this approach (once credit is given to the source of course).
I just cannot find that post anymore, so I don't know if there were any replies to that :icon_cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669