City's best keeper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Keller was exceptionally good for us. MON got out of jail when he left by bringing in Flowers who was of similar class.

Before he signed for us I remember Keller (when he had hair) playing for Millwall at Filbert Street - when he was loudly designated as "Gypo" by the kop - and abuse of that kind is usually the sign that an opponent is rated.

Keller was good, but he couldnt see past 20 yards. I remember Stephen Hughes scoring for Arsenal from about 35 yards out and Keller didnt even move until it was too late.

Wallington what a legend! Great keeper who always had the banter with the fans

always remember my gran ( who was from preston) making fun of me as a boy because he was a rag and bone man before becoming a keeper for city.

Banks, Young, Shilton, Wallington, Flowers, Lynex

I really do not see how Shilton can be outside the top two. In my lifetime the three best goalkeepers in the world have been Banks, Shilton and Yashin (Russia) in alphabetical order since I would hate to separate them. It is incredible that two of them should have been with Leicester.
When I first came to Leicester Banks had already left though I saw him play for other teams In my forty years of supporting Leicester and with all due respect to Gary and Frankie Wortho, Shilton was IMO the best Leicester player. Of course goalkeepers are not exciting and the most exciting Leicester player for me was Keith Weller.
I hope one day to see a player as good as Shilton playing for Leicester again.

i remember one game at Filbo, we played Newcastle and won 2-0, but Ferdinand shouldve had a hat-trick and NU shouldve won 3-2 had it not been for 3 awesome saves by Keller

Last edited:
Best Leicester keeper ever - Kevin Poole

Yep, it has to be. To think people are suggesting here that 4 England capped keepers are better, it's crazy, 1 of them is even the most capped player in history, hes definatley not better than Kevin Poole :icon_roll

Yep, it has to be. To think people are suggesting here that 4 England capped keepers are better, it's crazy, 1 of them is even the most capped player in history, hes definatley not better than Kevin Poole :icon_roll

I was taking the piss :icon_roll:icon_roll Lighten up and take a joke.

Definitely. and had Poole been tall enough to get nearer the cross bar then he would probably played in the inter-planetary series.

I knew the gentleman who had been in charge of the school football team at King Richard III when Shilton was a schoolboy there. Shilton was playing for Leicester schoolboys in goal and England schoolboys in goal but for King Richard III at right half or centreforward. It seems that they already had a good goalkeeper (not as good as Shilton) and that Peter was devastating on the pitch.
This gentleman said Shilton was the strongest schoolboy he ever taught and could have been a professional on the pitch or at cricket, rugby or boxing.
He said that King Richard III were put under pressure by the FA to play Shilton in goal but they refused to drop their regular goalkeeper. I received this information second hand and wonder if anyone from that time can confirm it.

Shilton is thick as a brick though.

Pressman and Keller were surely not the worst goalkeepers - you should remember the nightmare that was Spider Kalac. Not only was Kalac the worst goalkeeper I have seen playing for Leicester or against - he was the worst Leicester player I have ever seen. Legend has it that the radio commentator said "There stands Kalac with his head in his hands - lets hope he doesn't drop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669