Colchester 1-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
With regards to the goal, it made me think about the standard of goals we seem to be conceding at home.

It's not like were conceding the 'usual' goals which havn't taken a high amount of craftsmanship to score.

I'm thinking O'Grady and Yeates in recent times.

Good sign I guess, yet annoying in another sense.

With regards to the goal, it made me think about the standard of goals we seem to be conceding at home.

It's not like were conceding the 'usual' goals which havn't taken a high amount of craftsmanship to score.

I'm thinking O'Grady and Yeates in recent times.

Good sign I guess, yet annoying in another sense.

We nearly conceded two easier goals today. The one that sticks out is the free header that their guy put wide from about 6 yards. Many others would've scored. We got a bit lucky today and I worry about our complacency.
Either way, it's still a matter of when not if.

Dreadful first half. The quality of football wasn't worthy of an entrance fee. Second half was slightly better. Gilbert was excellent. Hobbs solid.

Mattock, King, Oakley, Fryatt - inept once again. They're playing like they've lost interest. All four of these players have put in a shift one game in six since the New Year. Simply not good enough.

We're going up barring a calamity that won't happen. We have a good manager who found a plan that worked. To aid him, he has the biggest squad and easily the biggest budget in this league. In addition, the standard of opposition in undeniably atrocious.

However, we've got a poorer squad than we had a year ago and we know what happened to that lot. From what I've seen, the only top half Championship quality player we have is Tunchev. I really hope that the management team have a few gems in the pipeline for the summer because if we've got to rely on many of this lot we're going to be losing a lot of games from August.

Fryatt - inept once again. They're playing like they've lost interest. All four of these players have put in a shift one game in six since the New Year. Simply not good enough.
I wonder what that could be down to :102:

I mustve been the only person who didnt think the officials were that bad. Sometimes i do think the bias of fans towards officials decisions is laughable. Not saying so in this case, but I wasnt personally struck particularly by the officials making loads of incorrect decisions biased towards Colchester or anything

Last edited:
I mustve been the only person who didnt think the officials were that bad. Sometimes i do think the bias of fans towards officials decisions is laughable. Not saying so in this case, but I wasnt personally struck particularly by the officials making loads of incorrect decisions biased towards Colchester or anything

So was it my biased inagination that whenever we challenged for a 50:50 ball we were penalised and whenever a colchester player 'fell over' they won a free kick but when we were pushed or shirt pulled or arms wrapped around, that was waved away?

I am sick of hearing stupid doom mongerer comments on these forums! Comments like if they win their games in hand if we lose our next four if if if - what if? Even IF MK dons win their next two games in hand the gap between us and them will be 8 points as of the table today! fact. These teams have to play each other as well. I am not interested whether we finish 1st or 2nd this season as long as we go up.

Pearson himself as more or less said so with promotion being the aim. Look at the gap between us and 3rd place not Pboro in second. As for the game yesterday it was dire. Colchester's Platt up front caused all sorts of problems for Morrison and on corners he stood in front of Warner hence the goalkeeper punching a lot from corners!! Platt is at least 7 foot tall for f**** sake!!! The referee and his assistants were a joke but Colchester's inept finishing cost them a win. We were shit played shit and got a point!!! Job done as far as I am concerned.

Oh as for Pboro next week don't expect much with at least four players out - No King, Mattock, Cleverley, or Howard. Pboro's home record is very good so I think we will lose next week.

However, we will be promoted.

I am sick of hearing stupid doom mongerer comments on these forums!
This season is shit and boring. Promotion was more or less guaranteed before the first match. I'm not moaning about that, I wouldn't have it any other way, but to feign the excitement that some of these are doing is silly.

However, let the mongies contrive their excitement, this club is all a lot of them have got. If the club is boring, their lives are boring.

We nearly conceded two easier goals today. The one that sticks out is the free header that their guy put wide from about 6 yards. Many others would've scored. We got a bit lucky today and I worry about our complacency.
Either way, it's still a matter of when not if.

Is that the header Platt missed? As someone cleared it for a corner. I thought he'd missed as well. Save or nor he should have scored. I still believe we have the luck of a promotion team. Even when we are bad we still find it difficult to lose,apart from tranmere granted.

This season is shit and boring. Promotion was more or less guaranteed before the first match. I'm not moaning about that, I wouldn't have it any other way, but to feign the excitement that some of these are doing is silly.

However, let the mongies contrive their excitement, this club is all a lot of them have got. If the club is boring, their lives are boring.

What did you know in August to make that claim?

You thought we had a great squad of championship players and we were unlucky to get relegated, or just needed one more manager?

The recent history of 'big clubs' in Division 3 is not of immediate easy promotion. Even Man City only got back out via the play-offs.

You thought we had a great squad of championship players and we were unlucky to get relegated, or just needed one more manager?
And I was right.

As I said at the time, the main reason we got relegated was because MM made a huge error in not getting rid of Holloway in Jan/Feb.

We did get "one more manager" but it was too late, we were relegated. Now look what that "one more manager" is doing.

What did I know in August? I knew that the standard of football in this league was appalling, and with that "one more manager" and a couple of changes to the playing staff, ie getting rid of Hume and Stearman, who in my opinion were causing the club serious problems, we would flourish.

Those things happened, so of course my optimism was sky high. I'm sure most of the above was documented on here at the time.

Even if Milan had persuaded Pearson that Leicester was on a financially sounder footing than Southhampton at the time, do you think Pearson would have thought the Mandaric Merry-go-round with managerial trapdoors and Mad Milan with an axe dripping blood in one hand was going to be a more interesting stable working environment at that time, than St Mary's? And maybe he only came to us because he needed a job, having being 'sacked'.

All of the above takes nothing away from the great job he has done for us so far.

Even if Milan had persuaded Pearson that Leicester was on a financially sounder footing than Southhampton at the time, do you think Pearson would have thought the Mandaric Merry-go-round with managerial trapdoors and Mad Milan with an axe dripping blood in one hand was going to be a more interesting stable working environment at that time, than St Mary's? And maybe he only came to us because he needed a job, having being 'sacked'.

All of the above takes nothing away from the great job he has done for us so far.
None of that is an issue. You asked me why I was confident and I told you.

It wouldn't have taken the best Manager in the world to save us, anybody with more than half a braincell could have saved us from relegation.

I too have said right from the begining that we would walk this division. The teams we play are shite from top to bottom, utter shite. That point was obvious to all!

And I was right.

As I said at the time, the main reason we got relegated was because MM made a huge error in not getting rid of Holloway in Jan/Feb.

We did get "one more manager" but it was too late, we were relegated. Now look what that "one more manager" is doing.

What did I know in August? I knew that the standard of football in this league was appalling, and with that "one more manager" and a couple of changes to the playing staff, ie getting rid of Hume and Stearman, who in my opinion were causing the club serious problems, we would flourish.

Those things happened, so of course my optimism was sky high. I'm sure most of the above was documented on here at the time.

Unfortunately more or less every word word of that is true, with the possible exception of the stuff about Hume & Stearman on which I wouldn't have enough background knowledge to comment. To be honest it doesn't need too many brain cells to work it out either - no disrespect intended Melton.

Milan got us relegated by losing his nerve and not sacking the idiot Holloway whilst there was still time for a comfortable escape. On the positive side the team has now developed a non-losing mentality which may stand us in good stead next season.

I guess that I have seen more City games than almost anyone else on this forum - simply on the basis of longevity. However, I can't watch the rubbish in this derelict league - but i do applaud those who faithfully turn out home and away.

One of the things that I am certain of is that this league is so poor that winning it will not be an indicator of success next season. However, I like Pearson's style and I expect that he will have his plans to make us viable and perhaps better than that when we are playing teams that have at least a smattering of quality.

Poor game as per usual when we play colchester. I thought Oakley & king had a poor game. Dyer looked sharper & Gradel played well. They looked a one man team with Yeates pulling the strings.
The linesman next to the west stand (i sit inline with the 18 yard box)was shocking, 3 poor offsides when we attacked, one of which was clearly the best part of 10 yards ONSIDE. Then in the second half he let them through three times when they were clearly offside, one resulted in a great save. The ref & linesman also gave a bizzar goal kick when it was knowhere near, they were rubbish.
Keeper played well would have lost if it wasn't for two good stops.
Not to down hearted, would have lost last season & we did create some chances without Howard.
Knowing city we'll beat p'boro.

Do you mean when Hayles went through? If so he was offside when the ball was played, ran 10 yards onside and then chased the ball, so he was very offside.

The second one, I assume you mean the one on one run Yeates had? He was in his own half when they passed to him, so again on side.

But the linesman and ref were aweful, but he did get those right.

Soon after they went 1-0 Mattock handballed it in the area:icon_roll

So not ALL the poor decisions went against us, but trying to be unbiased(ahem) the majority did! From where we are, the free kick he awarded to them on the edge of the box where Hayles was involved(shortly before they scored) looked like it perhaps could've been given our way, and tbh I don't think it was a free kick for their goal either. Saying that, the wall didn't do it's job, and I think Warner could've done better covering it.

Since Walsall away our performances have dropped down a couple of gears and yesterday our midfield was pisspoor. Oakley and King weren't even in the game first half, and I can't reember Cleverely touching the ball after the first five minutes til he went down injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669