Connolly to Wigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven

Posted on another forum. ;)

City Fan on another forum said:
According to "The People", 'Wigan boss Paul Jewell is thought to be lining up a move for Leicester's £1.5m rated striker David Connolly'

This is quite worrying. £1.5 million for Connolly is quite a fair price considering what we paid for him, but who would we be able to get to replace him for that much money? Hopefully Levein wouldn't accept the offer but I think he would if he was offered that much. You could see how much we missed Connolly yesterday so I think he would be mad to even consider a bid of that much.

So, Do you think CL would accept a bid of £1.5 million for Connolly?

this is bad news,
we would definetly accept 1.5 million, but like the other poster said, who would we replace him with. Connollly is our star player and selling him would mean loosing out on 20-30 goals this season, unless we can find a sutibale replacment.

hopefully this is just a rumour. fingers crossed..

even if it is true do you think DC would want to move to wigan?

lako42 said:
even if it is true do you think DC would want to move to wigan?

yes
would he want a season in the premiership to break into the starting line up for ireland..

joe501 said:
this is bad news,
we would definetly accept 1.5 million, but like the other poster said, who would we replace him with. Connollly is our star player and selling him would mean loosing out on 20-30 goals this season, unless we can find a sutibale replacment.

hopefully this is just a rumour. fingers crossed..

Is Derek Riordan still available ? :102: ;)

It is slightly worrying, but come on, it's only "The People" reporting it...

If there is truth to it, then I think we could possibly hold out for a bit more. I think Connolly is worth £2m, and it's not like Wigan don't have the money. I wouldn't like to see us just accept the first offer they give us, we should at least try to get a bit more from them.

Riordan is probably available for £1m, so he could be a good answer to it, but he's never played in this division. Other than that I don't really know, but I'm sure Levein wouldn't sell Connolly without anyone in mind. If he does sell Connolly and we can't get a decent replacement, then that's terrible business. £1.5m is certainly a lot of money to us, but we need a goalscorer to get out of this division, which would get us a lot more money.

The problem is, how much of a £1.5m transfer would the board actually let Levein spend? I can't see it being more than £1m, because otherwise what's the point in selling Connolly in the first place?
Maybe CL has some great players from overseas in mind who would be cheap..

Last edited:
The People talk 90% Bollox,I wouldn't take any notice and in any case if someone offers 1.5 Million for Connolly then it will be accepted theres nothing we can do about it.

I dont believe the club can currently afford not to accept 1.5million for player that we payed a hell of a lot less for.

However we would miss him tremendously and unless a deal is already in the pipe line it would be difficult to bring anyone of his obvious ability in before the end of the month but lets wait and see.

It seems a strange rumour but I reckon that Wigan will be linked with most of the championships top strikers as in the two games I ahve seen them play (chelsea and charlton) they have clearly struggled for a proven goal scorer. Playing one up front yesterday really hampered them.

Unfortunately its gonna be a wait and see thing.

fcukcov said:
I dont believe the club can currently afford not to accept 1.5million for player that we payed a hell of a lot less for.

However we would miss him tremendously and unless a deal is already in the pipe line it would be difficult to bring anyone of his obvious ability in before the end of the month but lets wait and see.

It seems a strange rumour but I reckon that Wigan will be linked with most of the championships top strikers as in the two games I ahve seen them play (chelsea and charlton) they have clearly struggled for a proven goal scorer. Playing one up front yesterday really hampered them.

Unfortunately its gonna be a wait and see thing.

I can't see the board forcing Craig Levein to sell and if CL chooses to he will already have a replacement lined up??

Can't understand them selling Nathan Elllington. He was quality and would have gave them a great chance of survival if he had stayed. Although i rate Connolly a lot in this division i don't think he would be good enough to help their cause.

pds said:
Can't understand them selling Nathan Elllington. He was quality and would have gave them a great chance of survival if he had stayed. Although i rate Connolly a lot in this division i don't think he would be good enough to help their cause.

I don't know, Connelly is a natural finisher and from the Chelsea game thats what Wigan are missing.

It really doesn't matter what we paid for him, all that matters is the cost to replace him which would be around the same figure they are talking about here, so what's the point?
I expected wigan to come in for him after his good start to the season. Seriously hoping we have the balls to hold out for 2.5m if it's true.

pds said:

Fairly sure Ellington scored more than Connolly at this level. So to sell Ellington and buy DC would be a strange move. Much as I like DC, I think Wigan will be looking for someone better.

Didn't Ellington want to go?

If Riordan is available I would expect CL to go for him and the club bank £500k or so change.

I would prefer DC to stay (if there is any truth in the rumour), but we will have to trust CL's judgement.

after the chances we had yesterday we need him to stay without him in the team we could kiss goodbye to promotion

There are 3 elements to whether Connolly will move :

1) How seriously are Wigan considering a move for Connolly, how highly rated he is by the Wigan manager and how high a price would they be prepared to pay.

2) He is currently contracted to Leicester City and therefore the club have to be in agreement and a fee that is suitable to Leicester has to be agreed. Also can Leicester find a suitable replacement within their budget. Are Wigan prepared to match or exceed Leicester's valuation.

3) The player himself, now surely Connolly's head will be turned by premiership attention, regardless of the fashionability of the club, who knows Wigan may survive, or they may be relegated but Connolly will have had a season in the prem and be at a club who would most likely walk promotion the following season. Where as at present he is at a side who may if they play to there best reach the play offs.

IMO there is no smoke without fire, and regarding Connolly's injury and absence from the side yesterday, surely if he has been carrying a knock then he would have been shielded from training and nursed through games. Also according to a fan who witnessed the team coming off the coach yesterday, Connolly wasnt even there, yet according to reports on Friday he was only doubtful so surely he would have been with the team.

In terms of replacements, I am not duly concerned because a lot of the reasons we could not land a proven striker in the summer was down to finances and the likelihood that they would be back up to Connolly, if he leaves we then become an attractive proposition as there would be some level of finance available and a starting place up for grabs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669