Connolly to Wigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
wiganlatic said:
i certainly hope so because we aare the most desperate club in the world for a striker at the moment. we will need another 1 tho becos otherwise we'l not get the goals to stay up.

i think he'll score goals in top flight

he's certainly a better purchase than dean windass!

you need a hell of a lot to stay up though, although building to become a yo-yo team isn't too bad a plan, you get parachute monies and may end up like Charlton

wiganlatic said:
i certainly hope so because we aare the most desperate club in the world for a striker at the moment. we will need another 1 tho becos otherwise we'l not get the goals to stay up.

not now you aint :icon_sad:

just woken up and greeted with this news!

we have lost one of the best goalscorers in the division for around 2mil, and it looks like weve replaced him with elvis! who, frankly, looks like trev but a bit faster. And he cost 300,000!

we now have 1.7mil left, riodrahn(sp) will cost 500,000.

then we have 1.2mil left for a left back and another striker, considering the board will let CL spend all of it. I think the board will give him 1.5mil max, and if CL is going to bring in a 'big' player then we need some of connolly's transfer fee to pay is wages as well. All in all this would have been a good deal, if it had been a month earlier! now CL has 12 hours to bring in 3 players from 3 clubs and this is taking that wigan will pay us soon!

Its gonna be a tense few hours, and a lot of refreshing on sports websites looking for transfer news.....

Deadline Day - Latics Close In On Targets
Wigan Athletic are confident they will add to their squad before the transfer window closes at midnight tonight (Wednesday 31st August).
Paul Jewell is talking to a number of targets, although he won't name the stars at this stage.
The Latics manager said: "We've been working over time all over the summer to get new faces here but I suppose now is crunch point. In many respects we're racing against the clock as much as anything else, but the wheels are in motion on a couple of things and I'm pretty bullish about our chances at this stage. However, the transfer market is a funny beast these days so I'm not prepared to divulge anything further until the fat lady has sung.
"It's no secret the position we are looking to fill. We need to recruit a striker or two and that's where our energies are being targeted today. In the last couple of weeks I've visited just about every country in Europe, watched hundreds of matches on video and spoke to countless agents. This transfer window is not good for the health or marriages of Premiership managers; I can't remember the last time I spent a night in at home. However, it's the same for every other club so we all have to get on with it."
The transfer window shuts at midnight

Taken from wiganlatics.premiumtv.co.uk

Deanos Beano said:
Yes please, how I would like to see those two back. Brill idea

You can shove your Paul Dickov up your arse. I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.

Steven said:
Not if he has any sense. He should leave that deal as it is and reconsider in December. ;) Well BF is telling me in another thread that Hammond has been signed for 300 grand. Not at all sure about that. :(

£2m for Connolly is an extraordinarily good deal for us - only a desparate club would pay that and probably next to no players in the £1m -£2m category would want the move to Wigan.

The £300k on Hammond is IMO a complete waste of money - we had him on loan anyway; he doesn't score goals - why oh why chuck away a sizeable chunk of the DC fee?

Either I am completely ignorant (which is possible) or CL has made a costly mistake.

We were absolutely right to sell DC at that price - but as mentioned above, unless CL has a better move(than Hammond) up his sleeve - this season is going to be a turgid, unrewarding process.

Redditch Fox said:
The £300k on Hammond is IMO a complete waste of money - we had him on loan anyway; he doesn't score goals - why oh why chuck away a sizeable chunk of the DC fee?

Either I am completely ignorant (which is possible) or CL has made a costly mistake.

If CL sees something in Hammond that he thinks makes him worth the money, it makes sense buying him now. If he plays well for us Fulham will increase their asking price, or they'll want to keep him themselves.
If Hammond turns out to be crap it will be a waste of money, but you can say that about any signing.

Iain Hume is a quality player, young talented and hungry. it was pretty much inevitable that Conners was off after he banged in 4 after 2 games and this is probably as good a replacement as we can get.

webmaster said:
If CL sees something in Hammond that he thinks makes him worth the money, it makes sense buying him now. If he plays well for us Fulham will increase their asking price, or they'll want to keep him themselves.
If Hammond turns out to be crap it will be a waste of money, but you can say that about any signing.

Strikers are supposed to score goals; Hammond doesn't score goals.

I have seen previous examples of players whose more or less sole attribute is pace - and it hasn't worked. Hammond is not a young kid with lots of potential - he is approaching middle age in footballing terms and does not seem to know how to put the ball in the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669