Connolly to Wigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
PFKAKTF FOX said:
There are 3 elements to whether Connolly will move :

1) How seriously are Wigan considering a move for Connolly, how highly rated he is by the Wigan manager and how high a price would they be prepared to pay.

2) He is currently contracted to Leicester City and therefore the club have to be in agreement and a fee that is suitable to Leicester has to be agreed. Also can Leicester find a suitable replacement within their budget. Are Wigan prepared to match or exceed Leicester's valuation. - not necessarily, I would think DC will have a minimum valuation clause in his contract. ie someone bids £1m+ and he is free to talk.

3) The player himself, now surely Connolly's head will be turned by premiership attention, regardless of the fashionability of the club, who knows Wigan may survive, or they may be relegated but Connolly will have had a season in the prem and be at a club who would most likely walk promotion the following season. Where as at present he is at a side who may if they play to there best reach the play offs.

IMO there is no smoke without fire, and regarding Connolly's injury and absence from the side yesterday, surely if he has been carrying a knock then he would have been shielded from training and nursed through games. Also according to a fan who witnessed the team coming off the coach yesterday, Connolly wasnt even there, yet according to reports on Friday he was only doubtful so surely he would have been with the team.

In terms of replacements, I am not duly concerned because a lot of the reasons we could not land a proven striker in the summer was down to finances and the likelihood that they would be back up to Connolly, if he leaves we then become an attractive proposition as there would be some level of finance available and a starting place up for grabs.

Ellington was sold because he had a £3 million release clause in the contract and he felt West Brom had a better chance of staying up.

Personally I cant see Wigan spending that much but if so, we'll accept.

No player is irreplaceable. If Connolly does go there is no reason why we wouldnt be able to find a suitable replacement. it would be a bad loss but not the end of the world. A lot of people didnt want Dickov to go but we brought Connolly in and although he didnt score many goals up to Xmas last year he proved what a good player he is towards the end of last season.

I think a lot of people here underate connoly he has played in the premiership before and his goal scoring record in his recent games more then matches ellington, the start of last season is not fair to compare since we wasnt playing the right style of football he thrives on.

Chrysalis said:
I think a lot of people here underate connoly he has played in the premiership before and his goal scoring record in his recent games more then matches ellington, the start of last season is not fair to compare since we wasnt playing the right style of football he thrives on.

When?

i thought that to but i wasnt sure.:102:

If Connolly does go, prepare for the fee to be much lower than anyone on here would want for him......

ever the optomist hey durham.;)

As wigan do have a bit of money we should hold out for as much as possible if they do come in for him.

Connolly didnt join Wimbledon till 2001 and they were relegated in 2000. Before that he was at Watford and Feynoord. He left Watford in 1997 before they were in the prem. He was at Wolves before they were promoted too. So far as I can see he has never played top flight footie.

Last edited:
fcukcov said:
ever the optomist hey durham.;)

As wigan do have a bit of money we should hold out for as much as possible if they do come in for him.

It won't be a case of what we hold out for. Think Dickov, Thatcher etc etc.

Connolly won't go - he is quite settled here.

To be honest, I'd be more concerned that Connolly will be off in January than now; if I was a Premiership manager I'd be looking to see if his current form holds out. The last thing I'd want is to buy a striker who hasn't played at that level, and hasn't proven his consistency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669